Range qualification

When you guys have to qualify for your department, at what distance or distances must you shoot at and what is the score needed to pass?

Pistol qual is 1.5, 3, 7, and 25 yards. 360 points possible, 252 minimum.
Rifle qual is 7, 15, 25, and 100 yards. 250 points possible, 175 minimum.

The shotgun qual is just a refresher with operation, vehicle and duty modes of carry, then some drills.

72 pistol rounds, 50 rifle rounds. Scores are determined based on where the rounds strike on the target. Closer to center=higher score.

EDIT: I just remembered that the targets we use are called TQ-15's. The center box is 5 points, outer box is 4, anywhere else on the silhouette is 2, and outside the silhouette is 0.

Last edited:
5, 7, 10, 15, 25 yard, 50 rounds total of .40cal glock 23.(extra mag is brought out for qual. its a mix of rapid fire and slow fire on each line. Need to get 80% in the black. Its bottle targets. No rifle for regular patrol officers. Shotgun is additional for Sgt's, with the less-lethal (bean bag). Both twice a year.

5, 7, 10, 15, 25 yard, 50 rounds total of .40cal glock 23.(extra mag is brought out for qual. its a mix of rapid fire and slow fire on each line. Need to get 80% in the black. Its bottle targets. No rifle for regular patrol officers. Shotgun is additional for Sgt's, with the less-lethal (bean bag). Both twice a year.
I think I might be willing to sell my soul to carry a Glock.

And rumor is we're going to the glock 22 in the next month or so and they're putting night sights on them for us as well. Two more rounds can't hurt, but I'll believe it when I see it in my hand. The shame of it is they're not letting us buy the old ones. Some legal BS. I will say one thing about the glock. Never had a problem with it. Not once did I have a misfire or stovepipe ect. since I was issued it in 1998. 2000 rounds through it easy.

We use the MPTC moving timed qual for pistol. 3,5,7,10,15 yards. Each stage has minimum scores. All stages have 100% round accountability. I can't find one, you re-shoot the qual. Stages use par time, and I hold my guys to it.

thank you for all the information. Its been very helpful

- - - Updated - - -

have any of you had to carry the sig226? and if so what do you think about it and would you rather carry another gun?

If youre doing this in Ma, your instructors are doing it very wrong

We use the MPTC moving timed qual for pistol. 3,5,7,10,15 yards. Each stage has minimum scores. All stages have 100% round accountability. I can't find one, you re-shoot the qual. Stages use par time, and I hold my guys to it.

Our qual is close to this but with a low light and reactionary portion.

In Maine the quals are standardized by the MCJA, we all shoot the same courses of fire. If you go here - Maine Criminal Justice Academy: Forms - and scroll down to "Firearms Forms" you'll find all the courses of fire.

We shoot handguns at 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, and 25yds. 50rds, shot twice back to back, you must have a minimum score of 40 hits each time to pass.

We shoot patrol rifles at 100, 50, 25, 15yds. 36rds, shot twice back to back, minimum score of 32 hits each time to pass.

same with my dept

Back
Top Bottom