• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range qualification question

The reason I hate quals is I have to qualify to use the outdoor range at my club....unfortunately the times and days convenient for them is not convenient for me...so for almost 3 years now I've been stuck using only the indoor.

It appears that the major complaints regarding live fire qualifications are:
Convenience
How can I qualify if I can’t practice?

bsimardjr, it sounds like your club has the right mix…….half meet & greet and half making sure members can demo safety and fundamentals. I get the feeling it is pretty laid back but conveys a seriousness regarding safety and shooter success.

Martlet, I’d be absolutely bullshit if I showed up to qualify and the administrator was a no show…..Twice! One could only hope that the Executive Board would make things right.

Clubs that I’ve affiliated with have work assessment fees in addition to annual dues. Members can either pay this assessment or volunteer their time and labor. Putting together a team that can offer convenient days and times for new members to demo what they know, can’t be that difficult. Having helped assemble various teams and committees, members are only too happy to help provided they know that their efforts are truly appreciated.

It just doesn’t make any sense to me why a club would want a novice to have to learn shooting the “hard” way. Look at what training teams at the various Women on Target events can do in a 50 minute period! New shooter clinics and range quals are a great and proven way to welcome new members, help reduce potential liability, reduce property damage and reduce the learning curve.

One of the former NRA Range Tech Advisor had a saying, “Evaluate, engineer, educate and enforce”. Clubs that have followed this advice appear to be flourishing.

We have to go into the club house and sign in when we want to shoot. That will at least give you the names of who was there when the damage was caused.

We have to go into the club house and sign in when we want to shoot. That will at least give you the names of who was there when the damage was caused.
As an officer and a club board member for many years, I have been involved in these sorts of investigations.

The log book doesn't give you much. Let's say on Saturday the 20th you arrive at the range and notice some damage. When did it occur? Was it there two weeks ago when you were last there, but you just didn't notice it? Suppose you are sure that it wasn't there two weeks ago. What does the logbook give you? It gives you the names of people who might have done it, but no proof as to which one is the culprit.

I can only think of one time when this sort of investigation led us incontrovertibly to the person who caused the damage.

I don't see that range qualification does any good. All it does is establish that the member can put rounds on paper. It doesn't protect against stupidity.

Look a MRA. They have key card access, range quals, video cameras, etc. They still have lane damage.

What Martlet said.... you can't fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

Range qualification can be easy for new members, it just takes work.

(snip) you probably can not stop/prevent damage or accidents, however, you DO need to be able help protect the club from unintended consequences. Some of those ways are: practical ranges rules, consistent enforcement (not range nazis), access control, vidoes and training. Our membership <www,hsasports.com) continues to grow.

Indeed Bob, we are however fortunate to have El-Presidente doing most of the range quals for the indoor and Wes/Marty doing the 200 yard ones. Good people=good results. We want good, safe members and for the most part, we have them. It doesn't have to be intimidating and at HSA it is never inconvenient.

Back
Top Bottom