• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

range pros and cons

So im looking to join either Braintree r&p or Taunton gun club...I'm from Brockton so both are fairly close. From the web page they both look good but wanted to hear some of your opinions
Any info would be greatly appreciated

You'll find fans of both here. Check out the Ranges area for threads on both of them. I'm a member at Taunton and could not be happier with the club.

Braintree's a perfectly nice place for target shooting and trap. You can't draw and shoot from a holster though.

Given your location, I recommend you look at Holbrook Sportsmen's Club as well.

Read up on what's here for each club (go to the Club sub-forum), then pay a visit to each club (Sun AM usually works best), take a tour, chat with folks, scope out what the facilities are vs. what you are looking for and make your decision based on that.

I'm a very happy member at BR&P, but don't know much about the other two clubs.

BR&P is a very active club: Juniors, CMP matches, pistol and rifle teams plus sponsors a lot of non-BR&P events each year (e.g. Wentworth rifle team, Ancient & Honorable Artillery Company, Second Amendment Sisters, Bay Colony Collectors, etc.). The indoor HEPA filtration system is unbeatable. We have trap, archery, 2 indoor ranges (33', 50', 75'), 2 outdoor pistol ranges (25.5', 45', 25 yd, 50 yd), 1 .22RF outdoor 50 yd plinking range, 1 outdoor 50/100 yd rifle range. Indoor ranges are 24x7 access.

If you want a tour of BR&P, either drop by any Sunday morning and ask a member to give you the $0.25 tour (that's what I did prior to joining) or ping me to see if I can meet you over there.

Braintree's a perfectly nice place for target shooting and trap. You can't draw and shoot from a holster though.

True and that is why I'm also a member of Mansfield F&G (on Rte. 106), where I can do that. But MF&G has no indoor range (it'll probably be 5 years before it is finished). However the ability to shoot from holster, shoot steel, etc. on the 50 yd range (you can move targets to any distance you want) and the 100 yd ranges make this a very attractive club.

So im looking to join either Braintree r&p or Taunton gun club...I'm from Brockton so both are fairly close. From the web page they both look good but wanted to hear some of your opinions
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Taunton has a nice 300 yard range.

Braintree is kinda gay. [haters gonna hate] [grin]

Thanks for the info im going to try and visit the clubs soon....damn family stuff cutting into my fun time lol. I think i would enjoy shooting steel looks like alot of fun. And i have a few old rifles passed down from my grandfather id love to shoot so hopefully i can join a club soon

I go to BRP, its pretty nice. I've never had an issue with any range officer, any that I've talked to have actually been very nice and helpful. I recently tried out the plinking area and I'm hooked!

Another Taunton R&P member here. I love the club. I haven't been to Braintree so I can't speak on them, but Taunton has been great. Indoor range is awesome, and the outdoor range offers a good amount of options with a couple 50yd and 100yd ranges, archery, trap, and of course the 300yd range.

Being a member of Braintree and living in the town I can also offer to take you over there sometime bobcat..just say the word. I like Braintree, only wish is that they had a longer outside range than 100 yards.

BRP is a nice club, especially for the two indoor ranges. Most of the RO's are great guys. The only issue I ever had there was with some old fart that has a hair across his ass for black rifles. The only complaint that I have is that the outdoor ranges have targets set at predetermined distances and cannot be moved closer or farther away. Hanson has a nice outdoor range but the membership dues are almost double what I pay at Braintree and BRP doesn't require members to due community service to keep their dues low. Hanson charges around $200/yr if you don't do 8hrs of community service. Braintree is only $100/yr.

Back
Top Bottom