• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range guns. New guy experience

Goliathan

NES Member
I tried out two range guns on a "try before you buy" basis tonight. S&W M&P9 and the Sig P2022. Using 9mm range ammo from the same box.

Now I know that range guns aren't necessarily the best maintained guns ever, and subject to noob abuse and so on.

The P2022 range gun I didn't care for in general. Dry firing, the hammer actually bounced a bit when it released, making a little buzzing sound. It wasn't a solid satisfying click like I would have expected and hope for. The hammer didn't rest solidly in the de-cocked position; it rattled. The whole gun felt like it rattled and was poorly fitted.

The trigger on the M&P was waaay heavier and felt spongy compared to the new one at the counter. I actually unloaded and re-checked because I thought I had some weird thing going on and the gun wouldn't fire. Turns out I just wasn't squeezing hard enough. I know, I know, grow a sack... but damn, when it finally did fire it surprised the hell out me.

There was also a big difference in the character of the report between the two, at least in my observation. The M&P sounded louder to me, though I'm not sure why that would be. Once I got used to weird trigger the M&P won me over because it just feels better and handles recoil better.

I'm assuming that this trigger thing is just a combination of the heavy stock MA trigger and mostly the fact that it's a range gun. It's not something I should expect from my own, even if I don't do an aftermarket trigger... right?

Last edited:
I tried out two range guns on a "try before you buy" basis tonight. S&W M&P9 and the Sig P2022. Using 9mm range ammo from the same box.

Now I know that range guns aren't necessarily the best maintained guns ever, and subject to noob abuse and so on.

The P2022 range gun I didn't care for in general. Dry firing, the hammer actually bounced a bit when it released, making a little buzzing sound. It wasn't a solid satisfying click like I would have expected and hope for. The hammer didn't rest solidly in the de-cocked position; it rattled. The whole gun felt like it rattled and was poorly fitted.

The trigger on the M&P was waaay heavier and felt spongy compared to the new one at the counter. I actually unloaded and re-checked because I thought I had some weird thing going on and the gun wouldn't fire. Turns out I just wasn't squeezing hard enough. I know, I know, grow a sack... but damn, when it finally did fire it surprised the hell out me.

There was also a big difference in the character of the report between the two, at least in my observation. The M&P sounded louder to me, though I'm not sure why that would be. Once I got used to weird trigger the M&P won me over because it just feels better and handles recoil better.

I'm assuming that this trigger thing is just a combination of the heavy stock MA trigger and mostly the fact that it's a range gun. It's not something I should expect from my own, even if I don't do an aftermarket trigger... right?
The sp2022 has about half an inch of barrel length on the M&P. I wouldn't expect that to do much to the report but it could.

Triggers on the M&P vary, but they are in general (in MA) really heavy unless you get them fixed. Although, if you find the trigger pull on that heavy, try a P64 some time in DA mode. Twice as heavy.

M&P triggers in MA suck. Drop an Apex kit in and it's a sweet gun.

I never liked the 2022, though I love the P229. The 2022 just seems like a cut rate attempt to me.

Yes the hammer bounces a little on the sp2022, but aside from that, personally its one of my favorite guns. The M&P9 was my first gun and its one of the few that ive sold, never really shot it very well (even with a trigger job). Buy what feels right to you. If i were looking to buy my first striker fired 9mm again i'd look at either Glock or a VP9.

I have that "hammer bounce" when I dry fire my 220. never thought anything about it, seen it on other sigs, and my gun has done it since day 1. I bought it new in 1992...or abouts and made in Germany. not bad mouthing the m&p's but i'd choose a sig all day long over them. just sayin', not flaming gun or op. [grin]

If you're dry firing, try it with a snap cap vs. empty chamber. I've noticed quite a difference with some guns when doing so.

Back
Top Bottom