• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range gear recommendations please.

gbest

NES Member
Finally joined a gun club, looking for suggestions on hearing and eye protection as well as a bag to carry those as well as pistols and ammo.
Thanks in advance!

Depends on:

*What you're bringing for guns
*What you're shooting, meaning for competition or not
*Who's coming with you
*How involved the range time is going to be.

I keep most of my gun tools, cleaning stuff, and other things like a stapler gun (always have a stapler gun with spare staples) in a .30cal ammo can. I carry most everything except long guns in a Savotta backpack I exclusively reserve for shooting, mountain hiking, or hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use Howard Leight impact sports & I like the Midway bags, have the bigger & smaller ones in Olive drab

I use these to double down on hearing protection, until I ccan get a set custom made at the doctor's:

Amazon product ASIN B00WIXL4UMView: https://www.amazon.com/Decibullz-Earplugs-Comfortable-Protection-Shooting/dp/B00WIXL4UM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=NUOK1TLYY2JK&keywords=decibullz&qid=1581186527&sprefix=decibull%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-4

I personally dont like howard leighs. they just dont fit well for me. Ive had better experience with Peltors. I got these (I wouldnt pay for these this much, and wouldnt have them if I didnt get a discount) but they work spectacularly.

Also, setup a small first aid kit with trauma stuff. Hopefully you never need it, but like a life vest in a boat, you wont need it until you NEED it.

I just use Howard Leight impact sports & I like the Midway bags, have the bigger & smaller ones in Olive drab
Yep, the Midway bag is great and not too pricey especially if you can get it on sale. The Howard Leight Impact Pro model has a NRR rating of 30, is a bit fatter than the light model but offers more protection.

You belong to the Club. Ask there. Not blowing you off, but if you're on the Pistol range, ear pro will be different than if you're shooting Trap (almost no Trapeoids use over-the-ear).

If your new clubmates have gear you like, that's the way to go.

Oh...if you do go with the first aid kit, learn how to use it.

Ear protection. i like well fitted custom plugs. ALthough i recently did a at home kit and are doing well.
Amazon product ASIN B002KHNB8YView: https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-0-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B002KHNB8Y/ref=asc_df_B002KHNB8Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309813749887&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15577570165705357705&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002049&hvtargid=pla-434804472143&psc=1

I also have several pairs of these styles
Amazon product ASIN B07L87QYGJView: https://www.amazon.com/Ear-Protection-Shooting-Foldable-Reduction/dp/B07L87QYGJ

i will use both plugs and muffs for extended range days like Trap shooting marathon or hours at the range.

Bags? Depends on how much crap you need.
I have a small NRA range bag. It has rags, cheap earplugs, stapler, and a few odds and ends. It stays in the truck. Then have specific bags for cmp/nra/highpower and a pistol bag that can hold a few pistols and ammo.
I also have a old small craftsman tool box which is my "rimfire" box. Has ammo,mags,sight inserts for my popular 22s .
Then there is my LAF bag. Which is anything handy to stuff shit into last minute and I cant be bothered to look for my "range" bag.
I keep inexpensive spotting scope in my truck also along with targets.
I know folks who bring huge bags to the range and its full of shit they never use.

OP as far as range bags are concerned, I just use a medium size Husky tool bag from HD with a small combination lock through the zippers to make Maura happy. Personally I cant see paying a ton of money for something thats basically a glorified tool bag just because its made of black nylon and has the word "tactical" in the description. I can fit 2-3 pistols, ammo, eye and ear pro and a small bag of tools* in there with no problem.

small bag of tools- just a small zippered pouch (forget where I got it).

-4 way screwdriver
-small bottle of lube
-old toothbrush
-a few different sight adjustment tools
-spare set of cheapo eye pro
-set of allen wrenches
-utility knife
-pen, sharpie
-brass rod for squib rounds
-needle nose pliers

Spider wire tackle bag

Have been using the older version of this for years.. plenty of pockets. Main pocket Will hold a lot of ammo, Hard bottom.

Off the top of my head

Good electronic ear pro
Eye pro
Cheap spare ear plugs
Batteries for ear pro and any other electronics
Targets
Tape
Staple gun and staples for targets
Multi tool or small bit driver set.
Rag and cleaning supplies

In a midwayusa competition range bag system

Last edited:
OP as far as range bags are concerned, I just use a medium size Husky tool bag from HD with a small combination lock through the zippers to make Maura happy. Personally I cant see paying a ton of money for something thats basically a glorified tool bag just because its made of black nylon and has the word "tactical" in the description. I can fit 2-3 pistols, ammo, eye and ear pro and a small bag of tools* in there with no problem.

-4 way screwdriver
-small bottle of lube
-old toothbrush
-set of allen wrenches
-utility knife
-pen, sharpie
-needle nose pliers
Is the toothbrush there to clean the bathroom floor at the range?

Off the top of my head

Good electronic ear pro
Eye pro
Cheap spare ear plugs
Batteries for ear pro and any other electronics
Targets
Tape
Staple gun and staples for targets
Multi tool or small bit driver set.
Rag and cleaning supplies

In a midwayusa competition range bag system
After meeting Stu with Cloverfield and a few other trainers, spray glue or masking tape for targets

These look interesting. Do they stay put?

They work ok for the cost, but I dont use them by themselves unless im shooting 22lr or shooting outside, as Im trying to preserve my hearing. They stay put very well but dont always create the best seal. Im waiting for some money and time to get proper custom fit ones.

I’d like to double down on the staple gun.
If you forget muffs you can stick a couple of 9mm-fmj‘s
in your ears and be all set to go, there’s no replacement for Staples.

I greatly prefer a backpack range bag especially if you might get into competitive shooting. Lugging around a shoulder bag gets old fast.
These are becoming very popular at the USPSA matches. I had a friend bogart space for his bag in mine at a big match and I said "fine, you get to pull the cart around today". If you use one of those, a shoulder bag can be more convenient for content access.
1581194761211.png

When i go to the range i bring a fieldline (walmart) shoulder/range bag. Its about 12”x14” and has several pockets. I usually bring one pistol and one rifle to the range and it will carry ~150 rounds for each with magazines and a roll of duct tape. Its adequate for my purposes but it depends on what you plan to bring with you.

-4 way screwdriver
-small bottle of lube
-old toothbrush
-set of allen wrenches
-utility knife
-pen, sharpie
-needle nose pliers
Another fan of the Husky tool bag; bought the 18 in wide open and the bag's interior pockets are perfect for holding magazines, boxes of ammo and firearms in soft cases. I usually take 5 pistols/revolvers to the range it that bag, w/ammo, and it doesnt sag at all. Plus, there is nothing "tacticool" or "gunz" about it - totally nondescript

1: Range bag big enough to carry all these items.
2: Copy of club rule book with club officer phone numbers
3: Extra firearm chamber safety flags
4: Eye protection, ear muffs and extra ear plugs
5: First aid kit designed around a shooting situation
6: Ammo
7: Mag LULA and extra mags
8: Stapler and extra staples
9: Cleaning kit with brass, steel or aluminum rod sections
10: Screwdrivers for adj. sights, multi tool
11: Gun lube
12: Sharpie markers
13: Holster if your range allows it
14: Cell phone, leave everything else behind before you ever think of shooting without this!

Last edited:
I have one of these, it's killer... it's handgun biased, if i shot rifles more id be doing a combo of something. You can always integrate one of those folding garden carts in the mix, too...

I have one bag for ammo/tools/cleaning stuff and another bag for the guns. As far as eye protection, I use slimline clear glasses when indoors and sunglasses outdoors. I saw an audiologist for my ear protection. It was expensive, but worth every penny in my book.

Back
Top Bottom