• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range gear recommendations please.

So cable locking the action and placing in a nylon bag isn't kosher?
Cut and paste from mass webpage on mass gun ownership laws.

"Large-Capacity Rifles and Shotguns: All persons transporting large capacity rifles or shotguns under an LTC must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container"

As far as what constitutes a "secure container".......per most mass gun laws it's vague. Most consider a luggage lock between the zippers to be sufficient for large cap long guns.

Cut and paste from mass webpage on mass gun ownership laws.

"Large-Capacity Rifles and Shotguns: All persons transporting large capacity rifles or shotguns under an LTC must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container"

Maybe I read that wrong. I figured "trunk" meant truck of a car. I suppose it could be "trunk" like a case.

Maybe I read that wrong. I figured "trunk" meant truck of a car. I suppose it could be "trunk" like a case.
Again......vagueness. it's mass. I wouldn't be leaving a large cap rifle in the trunk of my car and expect the popo to consider that proper transport according to the law. To be mass prudent......use a hard case and padlock it. Or a soft case and lock the zippers together. That's just my opinion.

Both are worded the same if not under direct control it seems?

Handguns: Under an LTC, the holder is allowed to transport a loaded or unloaded handgun on his person or in a motor vehicle if the handgun is under his direct control. If the handgun is not under his direct control or is left unattended, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container.

Large-Capacity Rifles and Shotguns: All persons transporting large capacity rifles or shotguns under an LTC must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a large-capacity firearm during transport in a motor vehicle. Large-capacity firearms left unattended in a vehicle must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container.

I plan to use the second option you describe. Soft case with TSA lock through the zippers

Both are worded the same if not under direct control it seems?

Handguns: Under an LTC, the holder is allowed to transport a loaded or unloaded handgun on his person or in a motor vehicle if the handgun is under his direct control. If the handgun is not under his direct control or is left unattended, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container.

Large-Capacity Rifles and Shotguns: All persons transporting large capacity rifles or shotguns under an LTC must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a large-capacity firearm during transport in a motor vehicle. Large-capacity firearms left unattended in a vehicle must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container.

I plan to use the second option you describe. Soft case with TSA lock through the zippers
Then you would be transporting according to how many gun owners in mass understand the law.....and should be fine.

However the wording "direct control" has nothing to do with large cap long guns......you have to transport them unloaded and locked in a container no matter what. Handguns.....can actually be transported loaded and under direct control.....what defines "direct control" though? As usual mass is vague and most determine that to mean "on your person" as holstered or other mode of "carry". I would not want to be pulled over with a loaded handgun on the seat next to me and tell the popo that it's under my direct control and therefore can be loaded.

The issue is really "large cap" vs. "non large cap" long guns. Technically of you read it.......the secure container only applies to large cap long guns so......a pump action, semi auto that is not large cap.... or break action shotgun could simply be unloaded and placed in the vehicle. That being said.... I transport all my non large cap hunting long guns in a soft case...unloaded....and in the back seat of my truck. Large cap rifles I put a padlock on the case. Handguns are either holstered on my body or unloaded and in a range bag with luggage locks.

Last edited:
Finally joined a gun club, looking for suggestions on hearing and eye protection as well as a bag to carry those as well as pistols and ammo.
Thanks in advance!

I don't know what's cool at a range, I shoot out of my truck, but to get it into the truck..

Walmart, $25 gets you champion electric muffs - buy a couple. The best, no. Work well yes..

Eye protection, if it's light amber polarized sunglasses, else yellow colored safety glasses for dim light.

Range bag - the right size duffel bag with a hard bottom in it or a piece of plywood cut to fit. I have 2, one is full of full mags when I go shooting, other has tools, ear/eye protection, pistols in soft cases, targets, rest set, all the other shit basically. If I got 2 types of rifles involved I may spread mags into both bags for weight, 300 rounds of both 5.56 and .308 gets excessive in one bag.

If you lock it, remember to bring the keys! I have a very short range trip once... ONCE!
I now use a lot of these combo locks!
View attachment 334008

Agree. Ran into this problem once years ago. Managed to defeat the lock. But a lesson learned.

So most all of my locks now are combo.

Couple items I've had good luck with

Couple items I've had good luck with

A tactical...lock? Lord have mercy.

Midway and 5.11 sell pretty nice range bags. Ear pro, if you can afford Sordin X with gel cups they are awesome. But they are not cheap.

The large midway bag is awesome. It’s my go too. 5 years of competitions and range use. Its holding up great.

If you lock it, remember to bring the keys! I have a very short range trip once... ONCE!
I now use a lot of these combo locks!
View attachment 334008
Agree. Ran into this problem once years ago. Managed to defeat the lock. But a lesson learned.

So most all of my locks now are combo.

Ha! I’m glad I’m not the only one! All of my locks that are firearm related are combo locks, and I have a series of different codes based on various conditions. I know I can access my stuff any time. My wife? Probably not, but she only grabs a firearm when we’re going to the range together, so I’m there to unlock it anyway.

I bring lots of ammo,lots of gunz. And sometimes a fine cigar.
To me a trunk is a trunk. It's where I put the loose groceries as they don't give me fffing bags anymore.[rolleyes]

1. Electronic ear pro. You can go super cheap with Howard Leight, or spend $ on Sordins with Gel cups.

2. Gun Cases - Seahorse Watertight Protective Equipment Cases I love my Seahorse case. Quality without Pelican $
What Roland here said about earpro. Especially if you have to shoot rifles indoors. Get the high end one or at least the noisefighter aftermarket gel cups. The difference is night and day. Any money spent up front will be saved at the ENT doc.

Back
Top Bottom