• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range gear recommendations please.

OP as far as range bags are concerned, I just use a medium size Husky tool bag from HD with a small combination lock through the zippers to make Maura happy. Personally I cant see paying a ton of money for something thats basically a glorified tool bag just because its made of black nylon and has the word "tactical" in the description. I can fit 2-3 pistols, ammo, eye and ear pro and a small bag of tools* in there with no problem.

small bag of tools- just a small zippered pouch (forget where I got it).

-4 way screwdriver
-small bottle of lube
-old toothbrush
-a few different sight adjustment tools
-spare set of cheapo eye pro
-set of allen wrenches
-utility knife
-pen, sharpie
-brass rod for squib rounds
-needle nose pliers
Extra points for the first suggestion of tools. Also; get screwdriver with flat & phillips MAGNETIC tips, Staple gun, extra staples, small roll of duct tape & target pasters. I'm sure others will suggest a FAK and knowledge to use it. (May you never need it.) Consider a checklist and bring lots of ammo. Because running out of ammo sucks.

Baseball cap, bottle of water, small notebook, sharpie, pasters to cover bullet holes in targets. My range bag is a tool bag from Sears, a different color than my other tool bags, and it's only used as a range bag, never going to the airport,

Also after my first trip to the range with a rifle but no mags,([angry2]) I keep a 20 rounder tucked into one of the side pockets.

carry a first aid kit, extra eye protection, and hearing protection. small tools to fix your gun, wooden dowel for squib loads, small hammer, a trauma kit,

As you can see, everyone and their mother is going to have an opinion and suggestions for what to get.

Purchase what suits you best. But start with a large range bag. Do t worry about having the gear or guns to fill it. You’ll grow into it. The midway or the 5.11 range bag are perfect. Electronic muff are the way to go, but aren’t cheap. A set of over the ear ear pro, some foam ones just to have on hand, eye pro, and most importantly a bleeding control kit. the rest is personal preference.

If you have to have the electronic ear pro, you can’t go wrong with the walkers or Howard leight. You can get inexpensive gel cup upgrades on amazon that are incredible.

Here is the link for the gel cups.
Gel Ear Pads, High Density Noise Reduction Replacement Gel Cups for Howard Leight Impact Sport Pro Sync Leightening Shooting Earmuff Amazon product ASIN B07TZ78TD4View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TZ78TD4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hj4pEb8S6MN0C

Here is a link for a high quality, yet inexpensive bleeding control kit.
Recon Medical Pack -Includes Recon Medical GEN 3 Tourniquet Kevlar, Titanium Trauma Shears, Trauma Bandage, Compressed Gauze, Emergency Blanket, Carbon Pencil. First Aid Tactical (Red, Canvas Bag) Amazon product ASIN B07PFYDL5KView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFYDL5K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kc4pEb5HKPENM

I use their tourniquets to teach the Stop The Bleed class, and I carry them and have used them successfully while at work. My wife and I both have one of these kits in our range bags, our “go bag” and in all three of our vehicles.

1. Electronic ear pro. You can go super cheap with Howard Leight, or spend $ on Sordins with Gel cups.

2. Gun Cases - Seahorse Watertight Protective Equipment Cases I love my Seahorse case. Quality without Pelican $
Imo and experience if you go cheap with howard leight electronic ones keep their use to outdoor range use and short trips. I bought a set a couple years ago and used them when I was running plate practice sessions for 2.5 hours. Running a timer as the ro for 2.5 hours straight I left there with my ears ringing and a headache. They don't block as much sound as a better pair.

Imo and experience if you go cheap with howard leight electronic ones keep their use to outdoor range use and short trips. I bought a set a couple years ago and used them when I was running plate practice sessions for 2.5 hours. Running a timer as the ro for 2.5 hours straight I left there with my ears ringing and a headache. They don't block as much sound as a better pair.

I wouldnt use howards without a second layer of in ears. I just feel their geometry doesnt create that good of a seal. It comes with a huge cost, yes, but im seriously impressed with the Peltors.

Also, whichever you choose, back pack or shoulder bag, be sure you can secure it with a cheap TSA lock for when it's in your car. That is, if you don't have a trunk to lock up everything in.

Others have stated pretty much everything you need.

Cannot stress enough the wood or brass rod and a small mallet. First time you get a stick case in a chamber or a squib....and you don't have these things you'll never leave for the range without them in your bag. I've used mine many many times.....only once for a squib in my 1911.......many many times to help others with a stick case.

If you have a 1911 or other gun with an accessible extractor - a small screwdriver for popping the extractor off the rim if an unfired round gets jammed into the chamber and cannot be fired or made safe.

Screwdrivers/wrenches for anything that might need adjusting to tightening (sight adjustment, scope or mounting ring screws, etc.).

Spare gun in case primary breaks.

Another fan of the Husky tool bag; bought the 18 in wide open and the bag's interior pockets are perfect for holding magazines, boxes of ammo and firearms in soft cases. I usually take 5 pistols/revolvers to the range it that bag, w/ammo, and it doesnt sag at all. Plus, there is nothing "tacticool" or "gunz" about it - totally nondescript

+2
-mike

OP as far as range bags are concerned, I just use a medium size Husky tool bag from HD with a small combination lock through the zippers to make Maura happy. Personally I cant see paying a ton of money for something thats basically a glorified tool bag just because its made of black nylon and has the word "tactical" in the description. I can fit 2-3 pistols, ammo, eye and ear pro and a small bag of tools* in there with no problem.

small bag of tools- just a small zippered pouch (forget where I got it).

-4 way screwdriver
-small bottle of lube
-old toothbrush
-a few different sight adjustment tools
-spare set of cheapo eye pro
-set of allen wrenches
-utility knife
-pen, sharpie
-brass rod for squib rounds
-needle nose pliers

This is like me. I boughtperfectly usable ear pr at HD or Lowe's (not sur) for short $, same with eye pro. Works just fine. You can go broke for the same stuff. Husky tool bag, as well. Spend your money on training, not ego crap.

Blackhawk Sportster range bag.
Hat
2 pairs of glasses
2 electric muffs, package of orange ones
Gray Guns range rod
Tools for whatever is going that day
Trama kit
Lead wipes that I don't use .
Targets, m12 stapler
ammo

Take Point Tactical backpack
More ammo, and more ammo
Mags, and pistols.

Revision Eyeware:

They accept Rx inserts that can be custom made by Revision. The Rx inserts are $100. You can send the Rx scanned in by email.

I use "double protection" for ears.

Foam earplugs from CVS - orange and come in a jar or 50 or so.

You NEED electronic ear protection. I have a 10 year old set of Peltor. They still work. The cost $80 10 years ago. I keep extra 9v batteries in my kit. They will begin to crackle before they die so you'll have notice. Also, invest in a $10 better meter from Amazon to check your batteries. It could pay for itself.

I also have the best Sordin MSA Pro ear pro. The black ones with the gel (the green ones are supposedly lessor quality I researched). I keep those in reserve since my Peltors still work. The Sordin batteries are a pain to replace. Make sure you use lithium ion or else they might leak. I function check my Sordins every couple months. I ironically, these $300 muffs broke before I could even use them. They have a 5 year warranty and they were repaired. Always have extra batteries.

If you are taking a training class, you will be required to have electronic ear pro to hear commands. I'd rather quit a class 1/2 way through and lose a couple hundred bucks than damage my hearing.

Take care of your eyes and ears. They are more important for your quality of life than a gun will ever be.
I'd rather have good senses than gun skills, because if you keep your good senses, you may avoid having to need a gun in the first place.

I don't even take off my ear plugs until I get in the car to go home. It seems there is always somebody blasting away when other people think it's safe to remove ear pro.

For those having issues with the Howard Leight, seriously, get the gel cups from amazon. The cups on mine were all dried up and hard, and I was having sealing issue. Bought the cups and, man, what an improvement. Well worth the $30

1. Electronic ear pro. You can go super cheap with Howard Leight, or spend $ on Sordins with Gel cups.
This is the way. Buy once, cry once. Phenomenal seal, comfortable for hours, you can hear range commands or footsteps approaching from the next ZIP code, can plug in audio from shot timer or John Wick soundtrack.

Amazon product ASIN B00P63NMJCView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P63NMJC/

This is like me. I boughtperfectly usable ear pr at HD or Lowe's (not sur) for short $, same with eye pro. Works just fine. You can go broke for the same stuff. Husky tool bag, as well. Spend your money on training, not ego crap. situational awareness and hearing preservation.
FIFY.

Tufts Medical does ear molds for ~50 and Eartech does solid acrylic custom ear plugs at 75 (including custom colors). Alternatively, other Audiologists in MA charge about 80 for the mold, and sensaphonics makes silicon plugs for $100 + $50 for color selection.

I just had a set of custom headphones made by the Eartech guys using my Tufts molds and it was very well done and extremely comfortable. I just ordered solid custom plugs. I plan to double over with additional earpro.

I really liked the eartech guys. They are very customer service oriented. The all in is basically 125, vs ~230 for sensaphonics and other audiologists. Alternatively, the molds that the audiologists used for the cast acrylic are also pretty darn effective, but are just not as strong of a silicone material as the final castings.

I use these to double down on hearing protection, until I ccan get a set custom made at the doctor's:

Amazon product ASIN B00WIXL4UMView: https://www.amazon.com/Decibullz-Earplugs-Comfortable-Protection-Shooting/dp/B00WIXL4UM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=NUOK1TLYY2JK&keywords=decibullz&qid=1581186527&sprefix=decibull%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-4

I personally dont like howard leighs. they just dont fit well for me. Ive had better experience with Peltors. I got these (I wouldnt pay for these this much, and wouldnt have them if I didnt get a discount) but they work spectacularly.

Also, setup a small first aid kit with trauma stuff. Hopefully you never need it, but like a life vest in a boat, you wont need it until you NEED it.

Last edited:
Question for the electronic ear muff guys: proper cheek weld on rifles and shotguns. How? Pretty much every (non-electronic) set of muffs I've worn have made it very hard to get a comfortable, consistent angle to look through sights or optics. If I'm shooting outdoors, I usually wear the regular ear plugs.

Tufts Medical does ear molds for ~50 and Eartech does solid acrylic custom ear plugs at 75 (including custom colors). Alternatively, other Audiologists in MA charge about 80 for the mold, and sensaphonics makes silicon plugs for $100 + $50 for color selection.

I just had a set of custom headphones made by the Eartech guys using my Tufts molds and it was very well done and extremely comfortable. I just ordered solid custom plugs. I plan to double over with additional earpro.

I really liked the eartech guys. They are very customer service oriented. The all in is basically 125, vs ~230 for sensaphonics and other audiologists. Alternatively, the molds that the audiologists used for the cast acrylic are also pretty darn effective, but are just not as strong of a silicone material as the final castings.
Oh awesome, not as bad as I thought. Do you have a link to the eartech product or is it right at Tufts?

I was thinking of going to mass eye and ear in Quincy, and see what they can do, but tufts is a good option, thanks for sharing.

Question for the electronic ear muff guys: proper cheek weld on rifles and shotguns. How? Pretty much every (non-electronic) set of muffs I've worn have made it very hard to get a comfortable, consistent angle to look through sights or optics. If I'm shooting outdoors, I usually wear the regular ear plugs.

I double up if I'm in some kind of tactical timmy training class. You definitely need electronic ear pro for the shoot/move/communicate stuff, but they invariably get knocked off, and plugs save me. I had them get knocked off in a cqb type drill and I ate a good half dozen rounds before I could fix it. Lesson learned.

I bet Mass Eye and Ear will do a great job too. Just adding a data point for Tufts. When I called around, I reached out to the private practice audiology shops and they all quoted around 80-100.

Tufts just does ear impressions (Tufts Audiology on Washington street). They usually do impressions for hearing aids. It was like a 10 minute process before work so very fast in and out. They gave me a little box to mail directly to the eartech guys. They put a little foam stopper in your ear with a string attached to it and go to town with a two-part silicone product that cures in about a minute. When they cure you basicaly can only hear your blood pumping.

Eartech is a musician / audiophile focused company. They usually take these ear impressions and make hollow shells to put little speaker drivers into them. They don't have a website for this particular product, which is solid and "full shell":, but they do have one for a musician focused ear-plug which blocks audiowaves evenly across the spectrums, and isn't a "Full Shell" which sits closer to your ear canal. You can check out their "Design Shell" feature to design what you want your earplug to look at - Custom In-Ear Monitor - EarTech Music

No relation to the company, I just really liked the tech (Seth) I worked with over there and the headphones they recently make me a lot - they really did well on the quality of mfg front, and the comfort front, and lastly it was well priced, which is why I'm sharing it here. I'm a cheap bastard and love to share high-value finds.

Oh awesome, not as bad as I thought. Do you have a link to the eartech product or is it right at Tufts?

I was thinking of going to mass eye and ear in Quincy, and see what they can do, but tufts is a good option, thanks for sharing.

Off the top of my head

Good electronic ear pro
Eye pro
Cheap spare ear plugs
Batteries for ear pro and any other electronics
Targets
Tape
Staple gun and staples for targets
Multi tool or small bit driver set.
Rag and cleaning supplies

In a midwayusa competition range bag system

This was one I never thought of, but was at my range last week and all 15 or so staple guns were out of staples and it was after-hours, so no refills available. I was manually pulling old staples out of target card board and pushing them into my targets by hand. It was a pain in the ass. I told myself to at least bring a box of staples, if not a staple gun in the future.

Good advice.

The less expensive leghi ones are pretty low profile and fit with a rifle or shotgun shooting clays for me. However......those don't block as much noise. I worked as a ro for a plate shoot once wearing those and left after 3 hours with my ears ringing pretty good.

Just a warning if your planning on a high volume of fire over a couple hours.

This was one I never thought of, but was at my range last week and all 15 or so staple guns were out of staples and it was after-hours, so no refills available. I was manually pulling old staples out of target card board and pushing them into my targets by hand. It was a pain in the ass. I told myself to at least bring a box of staples, if not a staple gun in the future.

Good advice.
I have been bringing my own Staples and stapler for many years. The ones at the club are usually missing.....broken.....or out of Staples. I just keep it in my bag.

Back
Top Bottom