• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range day with a couple things popping up

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Me and some buddies hit the range today and had a blast shooting rifle and handgun. My buddy was shooting Tula 5.56, for me personally I never run steel cased ammo through my AR’s and I told him that when he offered me a loaded mag. Well we are both blasting away when his gun goes down, it’s a nice Bushmaster build that he has had for years when this happened ... D2031053-8028-4E45-B5B9-ABF6289A443B.jpeg the round fired but the case got stuck. I could not get my multi tool in there to get that case out so on to his next AR, he continued to run the Tula against my suggestions and thankfully all went well. It looks like the round got chewed up in there from what I could tell. Maybe someone can figure out what happened like if it was the Tula ammo or not. Anyways we kept shooting and set up some steel around 75 yards away, one steel set up was an extra level 3 plate I had kicking around, the plate has had probably about a 100 rounds mix of 5.56 and 9mm smacked off it and a 5.56 round almost went through it. Fun day nonetheless

Depending on the Tula ammo some of this ammo has a lacquer coating and the coating starts to melt in the chamber an the shells get stuck and AR extractor are not that strong and the extractor will slip off the rim. This will leave the rim jagged looking. It can also depend on the barrels chambering if it is a .223 chamber it may be a little tight for the steel cases when the chamber starts to get hot and the shells and the chamber start to expand. This is one of the very reasons not to use steel cases.

I ran tula when I was a total beginner because it was cheap as hell and it was fine.

After I started reloading I noticed how insanely underpowered it is, quite frequently the rounds feel like they could have been squibs.

I know thats not the problem here just my $0.02.

I had accuracy issues with Tula in a few calibers so I won't buy it anymore. Wolf has been much better for me (and Golden Tiger, depending on the caliber).

Just need a cleaning rod handy. Just goes with the territory. By cheap ass ammo, get a malfunction every so often. I've never gotten a stuck case of tula in my ARs but I have seen it in person and its never a difficult fix. And I shoot the shit out of that stuff in all calibers. The most common malfunction with it is the occasional light primer strike with their 9mm.

I always ran the Tula out of my AK’s and never had a problem except it smelled like cat piss. When I got into the AR’s early on some guys told me to stay away from the steel cased 5.56 so I always did.

Cat piss, LOL.... that's the smell and my lap always has a coating of dust when I get up! Commieguns eat up that cheap commie ammo don't they? It's Federal brass all the way for the ARs though.

Me and some buddies hit the range today and had a blast shooting rifle and handgun. My buddy was shooting Tula 5.56, for me personally I never run steel cased ammo through my AR’s and I told him that when he offered me a loaded mag. Well we are both blasting away when his gun goes down, it’s a nice Bushmaster build that he has had for years when this happened ... View attachment 245087 the round fired but the case got stuck. I could not get my multi tool in there to get that case out so on to his next AR, he continued to run the Tula against my suggestions and thankfully all went well. It looks like the round got chewed up in there from what I could tell. Maybe someone can figure out what happened like if it was the Tula ammo or not. Anyways we kept shooting and set up some steel around 75 yards away, one steel set up was an extra level 3 plate I had kicking around, the plate has had probably about a 100 rounds mix of 5.56 and 9mm smacked off it and a 5.56 round almost went through it. Fun day nonetheless
Had that happen to me at the last car shoot. Same ammo.

This is one reason why you should always keep a cleaning rod in the range bag. Just gonna have to poke it out. Failures to extract happen with shitty steel cased ammo.

Get yourself a Saiga in 5.56!

iu

One of the types melts the coating when hot. You fire a bunch and then you stop, the chamber gets hot enough to melt the lacquer on the one in the chamber. Then it cools and sticks itself in there. I had one that left the plastic in the chamber.
You have two main options to shoot the stuff.
1 shoot till empty, don't leave one in the chamber to heat up and melt
2 shoot with a gun that shoots from the open bolt position.

One of the types melts the coating when hot. You fire a bunch and then you stop, the chamber gets hot enough to melt the lacquer on the one in the chamber. Then it cools and sticks itself in there. I had one that left the plastic in the chamber.
You have two three main options to shoot the stuff.
1 shoot till empty, don't leave one in the chamber to heat up and melt
2 shoot with a gun that shoots from the open bolt position.

3. send unwanted ammo to me.

FIFY

Lacquer coating hasn't been used in many years.
Maybe a coincidence, but 3 AR's that I knew of that had trouble extracting steel cases were all Bushmasters.
I personally never had any issues with that stuff in AR's and occasional misfires in 9mm. The misfired 9mm typically fires on a second attempt.

Back
Top Bottom