• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Day: Mosin PU Sniper, '65 HXP, and Garand Thumb...

Mountain

NES Member
Hello, my name is Mountain and I'm as big a dumb@ss as anyone else. Thought I had graduated beyond Garand thumb but was mistaken. Was shooting offhand practice with my usual reverse grip and THOUGHT I had my thumb away from the op rod handle. All I really did was curl it down enough for the corner of the handle to ram straight into the end of my thumb and thumbnail, which both split wide open and splattered some blood. Oops, but at least that shot was a 10, LOL.

My thumb wasn't the only thing getting hammered. I had picked up a sealed ammo can of boxed 1965 HXP when at the New England Games. Rich gave me a head's up when he was stocking up for OCSA matches. Great looking stuff- WAY better than the late HXP in enblocs I had bought, and this is the early HXP that is sized better. Seemed kinda hot but accuracy isn't terrible.

vUp4BLWh.jpg

xyDfTZ9h.jpg

This was shot with my CMP Special that's had the stock fitted and a trigger job but is otherwise as it comes from the CMP. Really tight group of 4 and one shot a bit high and to the right but still a decent group for HXP. Probably will shoot this at the next match.

Picked up the Mosin PU Sniper from another NESer this weekend and took it for a test ride today. Appears to be an original '43 all matching Sniper except for the Russian repro scope and mount. Actually, I prefer a decent repro scope since I'm shooting not collecting. Adjusting the PU scope takes a little getting used to but it started out relatively close to zero- not on paper but close enough. Above group shot with my Hornady 'cheater' ammo. Not that bad for a Mosin and maybe with some minor work I can tighten that up a bit. I was going to blame crappy light today but that didn't stop me with iron sights on the M1.

Over this winter I'll give it a trigger job of some type, develop some loads, and try some Mosin accuracy mods once I do a little research.

Good trip to the range! I still use two hands to load my enblocs so I don't get pinched. Trying to do it with one is like trying to grab a piece of cheese from a mousetrap without it snapping...

No picture of the thumb to horrify the innocent for Halloween? Haven’t gotten M1 thumb, bit did get snow blower toe back in ‘10.

t

No picture of the thumb to horrify the innocent for Halloween? Haven’t gotten M1 thumb, bit did get snow blower toe back in ‘10.

t
This. Sliced my thumb pretty good last week cutting VCT. Straight across the nail and then off to the side. Looked nasty and bled like crazy. Probably should of got a couple stitches but I just wrapped it tight like a badass.[wink] Lets see it OP.

No picture of the thumb to horrify the innocent for Halloween? Haven’t gotten M1 thumb, bit did get snow blower toe back in ‘10. t

You got snow blower toe? I think snow blower got your toe. Bleh, don't want to see that!

This. Sliced my thumb pretty good last week cutting VCT. Straight across the nail and then off to the side. Looked nasty and bled like crazy. Probably should of got a couple stitches but I just wrapped it tight like a badass.[wink] Lets see it OP.

OK, here you go...

QTpIunfl.jpg

It's the one on the right, LOL.

I've slammed my thumb in the bolt as it closed once, and that was enough. This one was hit by the bolt as it traveled backwards upon firing.

Op rod nail slam , Nice . I shot some good scores with HXP of all years. The clips post 1970ish kinda suck. I’m still standing by a flyer in every bunch on the HXP.
The mosIn snipers can be very good and I wish I snagged one when they where $495 . I used to know a guy who used the Pu sniper in matches with the Russian match. 54r that was around few years back.

Get yourself some Hakim finger and then you can complain! Garand thumb is just a nip by comparison ;)

Get yourself some Hakim finger and then you can complain! Garand thumb is just a nip by comparison ;)

That's not fair- the Hakim appears to be part guillotine with design features that are perfect for chopping off body parts, LOL.

The Hakim was made using the M42 Swedish and upping the caliber to 8mm; some say beyond the design.

t

The M42 wasn't the original either. It was preceded by this:

Grizzly+Trap-50307.jpg

All joking aside, those M42's / Hakims look like they would be very easy to catch some skin and/or a digit or two.

trust me, they are! Especially when you find out the safety actually works the opposite way as you'd expect so you think its safe and you put your fingers in and CHOMP!

So the thumbnail split seems to have fused back together but it looks like I'm going to lose a small chunk from the tip of my thumb. At least I've avoided any infection. I've already made the adjustment to carry my purse on my right side. [laugh]

trust me, they are! Especially when you find out the safety actually works the opposite way as you'd expect so you think its safe and you put your fingers in and CHOMP!
Why are sticking. Our fingers where they don’t belong:eek:

you need to load it if you want to play right? The mag is not meant to be removed for reloading.
Ok so im a bit confused? It wont close on a empty mag, you can load it by clip or single load so you have to hit the bolt release while your fingers are in there.
Fun stuff, I have not come across one yet that i felt that it was a good buy. I like the looks and would go good with my other old rifles for cmp.

Ah see there's the thing, there isn't a bolt release per se like there is on an AR for instance. The bolt will stay open unless you happen to nudge the bolt carrier while loading the mag and then it lets go and slams forward on you. If you flip the safety over, it won't release on you. But the recoil spring is compressed when you draw the bolt carrier holding the bolt back. If you keep going, there's a pin at the end of its travel that is on the safety that releases the bolt from the carrier so if you pull it all the way back and it engages that pin, it lets go. There's a small amount of play from where its locked open to where its activated by the pin so its easy enough to bump it while single loading the mag and get it to release.

Ah see there's the thing, there isn't a bolt release per se like there is on an AR for instance. The bolt will stay open unless you happen to nudge the bolt carrier while loading the mag and then it lets go and slams forward on you. If you flip the safety over, it won't release on you. But the recoil spring is compressed when you draw the bolt carrier holding the bolt back. If you keep going, there's a pin at the end of its travel that is on the safety that releases the bolt from the carrier so if you pull it all the way back and it engages that pin, it lets go. There's a small amount of play from where its locked open to where its activated by the pin so its easy enough to bump it while single loading the mag and get it to release.
Nice. I thought it had the whammy bar looking bolt release on top of the slide.

At the OCSA Garand match this Sunday I figured out how I splattered my thumb tip when practicing. I use a Ron Brown sling on my Garands when competing. During offhand, I tighten up the sling and hold the rifle under the sling. There are normally 4 layers of very thick leather between my hand and the stock. Using the same hold without a sling put my thumb where it does not belong.

Well, off to the range to see how my 20 ga O/U will pattern with 3" mags. Hopefully will have some tasty pheasants tomorrow. Dragging the Mosin sniper along to see if there's any grouping improvement from my 'careful fitting' as CMP calls it, LOL.

Well, off to the range to see how my 20 ga O/U will pattern with 3" mags. Hopefully will have some tasty pheasants tomorrow. Dragging the Mosin sniper along to see if there's any grouping improvement from my 'careful fitting' as CMP calls it, LOL.
Ugh no need for 3” 20g shells , especially if it’s a light field gun.

Ugh no need for 3” 20g shells , especially if it’s a light field gun.

It's a field gun and yep they kick a little, but I really liked the way the 3" shells patterned for me. More lead than my bird load 12 ga 2-3/4" shells.

Here's what the 91/30 would do at 100 yards with Hornady 54R 'he cheats' ammo:

KJRR7qkl.jpg

I was able to get the Mosin trigger pull down to 6+ lbs and looks like my CMP 'careful fitting' worked:

oObN7mFl.jpg

I was running out of the Hornady cheater ammo and only had 4, so shot last 3 as above. I measure the group at 0.658" center to center. Not that wind is a huge deal at 100 yards, but it was quite windy / gusty up to 15 mph or more.

The Russian PU repro scope I have has elevation same as original- very sensitive. Sent some shots with PPU above and below the target, though horizontal displacement was nil. Once I hit paper as above, just made a couple more shots to finish the group.

At least for accuracy, this rifle should be GTG for CMP Vintage Sniper. Have to fully check out the scope function from 300 to 600 yards to know for sure if I can use this rig for that purpose. I have some Lapua D166 projectiles to try once I get a chance to load them. Heavy suckers- 200 gr. Kinda look like a Buck Rogers rocket sans the fins.

721823.jpg

Last edited:
Doe
It's a field gun and yep they kick a little, but I really liked the way the 3" shells patterned for me. More lead than my bird load 12 ga 2-3/4" shells.

KJRR7qkl.jpg

I was able to get the Mosin trigger pull down to 6+ lbs and looks like my CMP 'careful fitting' worked:

oObN7mFl.jpg

I was running out of the Hornady cheater ammo and only had 4, so shot last 3 as above. I measure the group at 0.658" center to center. Not that wind is a huge deal at 100 yards, but it was quite windy / gusty up to 15 mph or more.

The Russian PU repro scope I have has elevation same as original- very sensitive. Sent some shots with PPU above and below the target, though horizontal displacement was nil. Once I hit paper as above, just made a couple more shots to finish the group.

At least for accuracy, this rifle should be GTG for CMP Vintage Sniper. Have to fully check out the scope function from 300 to 600 yards to know for sure if I can use this rig for that purpose. I have some Lapua D166 projectiles to try once I get a chance to load them. Heavy suckers- 200 gr. Kinda look like a Buck Rogers rocket sans the fins.

721823.jpg
Does your scope adjust in MOA or Mils and does the reticle move when you adjust it?
I used a friends original sniper and the reticle was not centered and that through me off a bit for a while. I liked his turrets though pretty simple and just dialed up the required position.
I only got to shoot out to 450 yards with it and It was fun and hit 12" steel plates with ease. Used that surplus Russian Match stuff in brass cases.
I don't like the ultra chin weld I need for the pu sniper so I never bothered to set my 91/30 up with a scope
maybe put a bid on this one
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781214419

Last edited:
Doe

Does your scope adjust in MOA or Mils and does the reticle move when you adjust it?
I used a friends original sniper and the reticle was not centered and that through me off a bit for a while. I liked his turrets though pretty simple and just dialed up the required position.
I only got to shoot out to 450 yards with it and It was fun and hit 12" steel plates with ease. Used that surplus Russian Match stuff in brass cases.
I don't like the ultra chin weld I need for the pu sniper so I never bothered to set my 91/30 up with a scope
maybe put a bid on this one
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781214419

Windage might be mils, but elevation is IIRC marked for 100's of meters. Yes, reticle moves. You have to center the entire scope to have a centered reticle, at least on the originals or original type repro. Maybe what I have is a later original- have to look more closely. Mount is for sure a repro. Yeah, it's a bit of a chin weld not cheek weld.

You must be messing with me regarding that bid, "Bore rusty with strong rifling.. Has that been there look... Missing some parts..."

Maybe it really is a Vietnam bring-back, pretty rough shape however. Supposedly the Hungarians did send some MN's to the NVA.

Windage might be mils, but elevation is IIRC marked for 100's of meters. Yes, reticle moves. You have to center the entire scope to have a centered reticle, at least on the originals or original type repro. Maybe what I have is a later original- have to look more closely. Mount is for sure a repro. Yeah, it's a bit of a chin weld not cheek weld.

You must be messing with me regarding that bid, "Bore rusty with strong rifling.. Has that been there look... Missing some parts..."

Maybe it really is a Vietnam bring-back, pretty rough shape however. Supposedly the Hungarians did send some MN's to the NVA.
i would get that thing up and running

KJRR7qkl.jpg

oObN7mFl.jpg

721823.jpg
Damn that's some good shooting with the Mosin! My 91/30 had horrible accuracy at 100 yards - even after I installed an archangel stock, timney trigger, etc. One of my biggest fails with a gun build. Sold that a couple years ago. Now I just have a M44.

Damn that's some good shooting with the Mosin! My 91/30 had horrible accuracy at 100 yards - even after I installed an archangel stock, timney trigger, etc. One of my biggest fails with a gun build. Sold that a couple years ago. Now I just have a M44.
The problem is those archangel stocks are going to do little for a rifle if it’s not shooting well already. Same with a trigger job. It’s only going to get you so much.
It took me about a year of tinkering to get me 91/30 close to minute of black and that was with some cast loads.
I’m going to give it another run once some ..312” bullets come up for sale.
I know it’s posted somewhere the “accuracy target” for mosin nagants. It was not great I think it was before shots to hit a 12” plate at 100 meters?

Back
Top Bottom