Range Day G43, P365, XDS, Shield Comparison

I had a rare opportunity today to shoot a handful of guns back to back fresh out the box. Its been well over a year since I have been to a range with pistols. Excluding the 50 rounds I shot for my concealed weapons permit proficiency test, I haven't shot a handgun in probably a year and a half. So even though my range time has been almost non existent, I continued to buy the new hotness when available, just never took them out. Today was the day.
I consider it rare because it's not often that you get to experience your first impressions on the same day, or at least I haven't. Unless you go to a range that rents firearms. I know with me, sometimes I'll shoot a gun, toss it in the safe and forget how it is, so when I shoot a comparable firearm I can't really compare by memory.
Plus shooting the same ammo is also helpful in the comparison.

I carried my shield for a few years as my EDC, but haven't in probably two years. It has an Apex trigger in it, and I have a few thousand rounds thru it. I'm comfortable with it, I know what it is. Roast me if you want.

I was shooting 115 grain round nose berry handloads. Mixed brass. I shot 250 rounds out of each pistol at 15 yards.

Shooting order was G43, XDS, P365, Shield. One mistake I made to have a fair comparison was that I should have rotated the pistols more frequently instead of doing all the rounds thru one and switching. Carpal tunnel has been bothering me lately and I could feel it by the time I got the P365.

Although the hand was going numb more often, the P365 shot the best groups for me. It was the most comfortable in my hands, but hardest magazines to load.

The Springfield XDS shot decent and is ergonomically comfortable, but I found the grip design very uncomfortable (the block type cut).

The shield was my 3rd favorite. Maybe because I am used to it, maybe because it's a decent shooter? Who knows. I'd still carry it.

Last: G43. For me, it shot the worst. It was up there with comfort with the P365, but I just didn't shoot sell with it.

I ended the day with shooting some full size pistols. It made me appreciate them a lot more. Lol

20210430_092758.jpg

I was a fan of my G43, until I started shooting the P365. I still like the Glock, but it rarely leaves the house unless someone wants to try it at the range.
Any day at the range is a good day.

If you liked the P365, the XL is similar, but the sweet spot in subcompact EDC size in my opinion. More hand on the grip, but still smaller than a G19 for those summer months. Plus, free state people get two extra rounds flush.

Yeah as much as I like Glock with it’s ergos and reliable simplicity plus the fact that it is highly accurate in my hands the P365 wins for concealed carry. Bizarrely small and light yet feels perfect in large hands with minimal recoil. My wife who can’t seem to rack a .22 (exaggeration) has no trouble with the Sig. Even with the notoriously suck quality control and customer service I would bet my life (and wife’s) on the Sig P365...

If you liked the P365, the XL is similar, but the sweet spot in subcompact EDC size in my opinion. More hand on the grip, but still smaller than a G19 for those summer months. Plus, free state people get two extra rounds flush.
I actually prefer the 365 over the XL because of the shorter grip. It prints less when concealed. I have the base pads from a 12 round mag on the 10 round mag XL body as a spare mag so I don’t pinch my fingers on a reload.

Thanks for the comparison. I’ve been thinking of buying a G43 after shooting it. I was amazed how accurate it was with minimal recoil. But I also don’t complain about shooting .40 like almost everyone on this site. I haven’t tried the p365 yet and wasn’t on my list but I’ll have to try it out before landing on the G43

Understanding it wasn’t possible in your case, I’d like to see the same comparison of pistols with actually decent triggers in them, not stock.

I hate shooting any Glocks with factory triggers. They are awful. After putting in a good aftermarket trigger the G43 quickly became one of favs, night and day difference.

Regardless, sounds like a good day!

I actually prefer the 365 over the XL because of the shorter grip. It prints less when concealed. I have the base pads from a 12 round mag on the 10 round mag XL body as a spare mag so I don’t pinch my fingers on a reload.

The difference is like a half inch longer grip. Noticeable for your hand, but not as much for printing, particularly if you were already using the pinky extension grip on the regular P365. Regardless, even the XL is a small gun, so I don't have any printing issues, but I do like the extra hand space.

Same here - had to sell the G43 because I just could not shoot well with it. Bought P365 (free state version) and IMO it is much better than the G43.

They are all great guns that are more than suitable for the task. It’s always nice to have a variety to choose from in order to pick the one (or ones) that suit you.

Understanding it wasn’t possible in your case, I’d like to see the same comparison of pistols with actually decent triggers in them, not stock.

I hate shooting any Glocks with factory triggers. They are awful. After putting in a good aftermarket trigger the G43 quickly became one of favs, night and day difference.

I've had to change the way I shoot glocks because of their triggers. I was getting a very sore trigger finger, with almost a blister on it. I had to Google it to find out I wasn't the only one.

I've had to change the way I shoot glocks because of their triggers. I was getting a very sore trigger finger, with almost a blister on it. I had to Google it to find out I wasn't the only one.
Yep. The trigger snaps back at your finger somehow << (professional I know lol) and it sucks. You aren’t alone. I don’t even bother shooting new glocks until I’ve had another trigger put in. It’s just a waste of time cuz I know I’ll hate it.

My XDs fotay-five from 2012 that I carry daily has a really good trigger OOB. It's much better than a Glerk standard trigger. (not saying much I guess)

But yeah, the rest have horrific triggers.

Back
Top Bottom