• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Bags

I'm a new shooter and currently only own one pistol. Although I'm looking to expand into owning a couple more firearms when the bank account allows.

What do you look for in a range bag? Do you have suggestions? I have the M&p 9 full size, and I'm getting tired of walking around with that hard plastic box, balancing a stack of ammo boxes on top, biting my eyewear with my ear protection over my neck. etc. etc.

Just curious what the more frequent shooters look for in a bag.

I know this might strike people as a weird question, but I know from my fly fishing experience there are things that I look for in a pack that newbies might not know to look for. So I'm reaching for experience here before I go out and buy three. [laugh]

Last edited:
I have the competition model of the above mentioned bag, and I love it. I've been using it for a year and a half, with no noticeable wear.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...etition-range-bag-system?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Midway puts it on sale regularly, like the others, and I think I got it for $38 shipped. As far as necessary features, pockets, pockets and more pockets. I like the side compartment with slots for 10 or so mags, and the two removable pistol rugs. The pull out caddy to carry ammo, or other small loose stuff is nice. My bag is probably overkill, but I carry a bunch of shit to the range, from tools, to cleaning kit, to squib rods, earpro, eyepro(including spares of both), shot timer, notebook, and ammo. Unless I'm taking a high round count class (1k+), I can get everything I need for an afternoon at the range with 2 different calibers into it.

Last edited:
Personally I like and use this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221689/midwayusa-competition-range-bag-system

It also goes on sale frequently.

BTW, if you are in MA, understand that trigger locks do NOT meet the legal requirement for transportation. I had D-rings installed and use padlocks to secure the bag for transport.

Does the brass bag size/deprime/tumble your brass for you? [smile] If so, I want one.

259680.jpg

For those of you looking at some of midways bags, just be aware they ripped off a design from a very popular, high quality bag....

http://ezine.m1911.org/rangebagsshotout.htm

I won't shit on anyone who buys the cheap bag, but It's worth being aware of at least so you can make your own decision, as to whether you want the original or a ripoff. I went with the CED bag because it is easily built as well as the shooters connection bag and its like 80% as large. What happens if you have a bag that is too big is you end up carrying too much shit in it. [laugh] (I had an iShot bag for many years, that was huge like the shooters connection bag.... I had so much shit in it that one of the buckles on the end of it exploded. It lasted nearly 10 years though, well worth the 100 bucks I spent on it... and back when I got it, I was shooting at least once a week if the weather wasn't shit. )

-Mike

[shocked][shocked] Oh no not Larry Potterfield.

For those of you looking at some of midways bags, just be aware they ripped off a design from a very popular, high quality bag....

http://ezine.m1911.org/rangebagsshotout.htm

I won't shit on anyone who buys the cheap bag, but It's worth being aware of at least so you can make your own decision, as to whether you want the original or a ripoff. I went with the CED bag because it is easily built as well as the shooters connection bag and its like 80% as large. What happens if you have a bag that is too big is you end up carrying too much shit in it. [laugh] (I had an iShot bag for many years, that was huge like the shooters connection bag.... I had so much shit in it that one of the buckles on the end of it exploded. It lasted nearly 10 years though, well worth the 100 bucks I spent on it... and back when I got it, I was shooting at least once a week if the weather wasn't shit. )

-Mike

This is what I settled on:

GPS Tactical Range Backpack

It has a goodly amount of storage for glasses, hearing protection, a small toolkit, cleaning supplies, ammo storage, and a small range first aid kit. It also has those three pouches for pistols, each one having multiple slots inside them for magazines. For MA peeps, the compartment that these three pistol pouches go in can be secured and locked with an external lock.

The price might be on the higher side (between $100 and $150, depending on where you get it), but the quality seems to be pretty good and I think it will last for quite a long time..

images-2.jpeg

i know a lot of people are not going to like it but for me i love it...put it on my back. Carry ammo can in 1 hand a rifle bag in the other...only downside was the pricetag....but it was a xmass gift :D

I use a insulated lunch bag. Its padded so the gun is a little more protected, it has plenty of pouches and zippers, and only costs $15-30.
I have a bag similar to this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wildkin-Rip-Stop-Black-Double-Decker-Lunch-Box/24088774 and it works well.
I have enough room for 2 pairs of glasses, earplugs, paper targets, stapler, several boxes of ammo, locks, mags, etc. Plus if someone sees "Colt" or "Smith&Wesson" or "Cabelas" stitched onto your bag they will have a good idea what might be inside. If you accidentally leave the bag visible in your car/truck while running in to pay for gas you can kiss that bag and whatever is in it goodbye.
Nobody is going to steal your igloo cooler.

Just remembe (particularly if you favor a non-dedicated bag, like the tool bags) to limit your range bag to range use. You don't want to empty a "range" bag and then use it as an airline carry-on; the VOC detector is likely to trip on latent GSR. That means excitement you can do without!

I have used tool bags from Lowes with some success but recently switched to a hard tool box by Bostitch. This box works great and holds all I need for any match. Cheaper than most range bags and much more durable. The hard box is a little cumbersome to carry, but I have also switched to a collapsible cart to carry my gear.

Back
Top Bottom