• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Bags, any suggestions?

I am currently looking for a range bag for a couple of handguns. I want a enough room for my range gear (eyes/ear, ammo, etc....) Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes. DON'T get a bag.

I've had bags. They weighed too much, yet still carried too little and the straps were not great for my shoulders.

I got a Stanley rolling toolbox. First, it rolls. Read: No weight on your shoulder.

Second, it holds far more in a far more organized fashion. Two trays; lots of room to organize spare parts, tools, ammo, targets, lube, etc.

Third, you now have a hard surface on which to sit, load mags, etc.

Oh - did I mention they're cheaper than a "tournament" size bag?

I still use a bag to carry drinks, ammo, guns and holsters to the car. I use the box to carry all the other stuff at the range.

I like that idea of using a box. I've been pretty happy with my bag because it has a solid (?) floor and roll-along wheels, but I got to thinking about the fact that most everything goes into the main compartment. The problem with that is that there's an opportunity for lead dust from my dirty guns, ammo boxes, spent brass bags, etc. to get into my PPE, which means I'm probably exposing myself to more lead than I need to. A tool box with separate compartments can address that.

I have an iShot bag, (the large one, designed for autos) got it from Mike @ mleshootingsports. I think it was $100 but it has paid for itself and then some. I've overloaded the crap out of the thing and it's been pretty robust overall. Lots of compartments and places to store random crap. The drink holder on the side of it is a nice touch. (I jam my coffee mug in there when going to pin shoots).

-Mike

I would not get a bag. We use a milk crate, it works great. I can understand other boxes, toolboxes. BUT I WOULD NOT GET A BAG. m44

I've been using a S&W range bag that I got for free when I bought a new revolver. I don't recommend it because it's falling apart after about a year.

I too am searching for a new alternative.

BAG ~ BOX ~ BOTH ? . . .

I bought a nice large Midway range bag after having a smaller poorer quality one for years. I have now loaded it down so much that I’m straining to carry it to the car and the range. I was thinking of acquiring a wheeled carrier that I could set it on but now that Scrivener mentioned a rolling tool box that just may be the way to go. Some examples I’ve taken a gander at below.
div255.gif
41pogfnVcLL._SS500_.jpg

ShowImage.aspx

Stanley FatMax Cantilever Rolling Workshop

ShowImage.aspx

Stanley Rolling Workshop Xl 1 92 279
The unit is very strong and is covered by a 6 year warranty.
Dimensions approx. 19.3x11.8in x 32.5in.
41OMFh3dD8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Stanley Consumer Storage 018602R Mobile Work Center w/Soft Front Pocket
Product Dimensions: 18.5 x 11.8 x 24.4 inches Shipping Weight: 9.2 pounds

Last edited:
I’ve used Uncle Mikes range bags for several years and liked them a lot, but I always found them to be just a couple of inches to small.

I’ve looked for several years but could not find a bag I wanted. I narrowed it down to either the Shooter’s Connection bag http://shootersconnection.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=135&products_id=600

or the 5.11 range bag http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=186816&t=11082005

Although neither is what I want in a bag, I finally I gave up and bought 5.11 from Midway USA. I haven’t gotten it to the range or a march yet but it looks like it may do the job.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
I've been using a S&W range bag that I got for free when I bought a new revolver. I don't recommend it because it's falling apart after about a year.

I too am searching for a new alternative.

Me too, along with several others. The problem with them is they have soft or non-existent bottom and sides. Even if they don't tear up they are awkward to carry.

One day I was in an Ace Hardware and saw a DeWalt tool bag. After looking it over it is the right size (not too big) and very sturdy. After all, guns are tools too. Anyway, it's perfect for my needs and I think it cost $15. Should last a long time

I think this is more or less the one I got, only mine is blue
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/accessory_detail.asp?productID=10791

Last edited:
I just converted a jansport back pack I've had since college.....it fits, ammo, sight scope, muffs and accessories with ease and I have plenty more room for weapons or whatever.

I spent a lot of time looking at all the available range bags out there - and couldn't find anything that I thought was big enough. Finally I saw the Maxpedition DoppelDuffel:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=21&idproduct=556

So I have one of those on order.

I wanted something that I could put pretty much everything in - and when I bring pistols I like to put them in their original hard case, so I think this should
be big enough to handle that. The inside space has some dividers - and I will organize stuff by putting stuff in their own cases or containers - then packing those into the duffel. If I wanted wheels - I could always get one of those lightweight wheel cards and strap it to that - or I can carry it like a backpack.

I also have two of the Dillon range bags and they are the main ones I use. I also have a few “work bags” that I use for specific rigs. (Ammo, mags, holsters, mag holders, etc) These are the cheapie canvas bags with the dual zippered tops.
I also have several friends who use the wheeled toolboxes as Keith does and they are VERY happy with them. YMMV.

I have a BlackHawk backpack and a ShootersConnection Tournament bag. I've been using the SC bag lately with an I-Shot range rug/mag pouch combo as my inner bag. Someday's I'll use the back pack.

A new bag is coming out soon from I-Shot. I saw a prototype last year being tested out by an I-Shot sponsored shooter. They were calling it the Gamer, it might be called the Evolution now though. That is a really well thought out bag, but hard to describe. Definietly look out for those. MLE Shooting should have them when they come out.

I bought a nice large Medway range bag after having a smaller poorer quality one for years. I have now loaded it down so much that I’m straining to carry it to the car and the range. I was thinking of acquiring a wheeled carrier that I could set it on but now that Scrivener mentioned a rolling tool box that just may be the way to go. Some examples I’ve taken a gander at below.

I bought the Stanley box at the very bottom of that post for my father's birthday at Home Depot a few weeks ago, it cost me around $30. I was thinking at the time it would make a great range carrier, but I just don't bring that much stuff to the range with me.

I bought one of these Allen bags at Walmart in 2005 for $20 and it's still going strong . I use the shotgun hull compartment for spent brass:

allen-deluxe-shootersbag-lg.jpg

That's for Bullseye shooting. Not much good for events where you have to move from bay to bay, stage to stage, with 2-300 rounds of ammo. [wink]

Yes, if you are moving alot, it's not too good for that. One with wheels would be better for that as you suggested. But for typical range work, the bullseye guys have it right! [wink]

I have a leather "European" shooter's bag from Cabelas. It holds all my ammo, safety equipment, tools, and gear. The firearms travel separately in a nice heavy duty lockable aluminum breifcase also from Cabelas. Carrying two items, but everything is there, safe, secure, and legal.

Chris

I’ve used Uncle Mikes range bags for several years and liked them a lot, but I always found them to be just a couple of inches to small.

I’ve looked for several years but could not find a bag I wanted. I narrowed it down to either the Shooter’s Connection bag http://shootersconnection.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=135&products_id=600

Respectfully,

jkelly

I have tried several bags and boxes over the years. I have tried a cooler with wheels, a rolling tool box, several ISHOT bags, a bagMaster bag, and finally settled on the Shooters Connection bag. Chuck at Shooter's Connection is great to deal with and stands behind all his products.

Shooter's Connection bags are often copied but never with the quality of the original. And they are made in the US, Not Vietnam like another that is mentioned in this thread.

I have been using a Green Mountain shooters bag for over ten years and am quite pleased with it. Just enough room for two guns and the gear and ammo you need for a match. I also use tool bags I get at Lowe's for ammo. I find that I need more room for ammo and brass for practice sessions than I do for a match.

I bought one of these at Home Depot for $79 and tried it out for the 1st time today. I like it a lot. Plenty of room for everything, it sets up nice so you don't need a lot of bench space, and it's easy to move to and from the car:

41pogfnVcLL._SS500_.jpg

That middle compartment with the dividers seals up pretty good. I had loose ammo in there and even though I laid it on its back in my car, when I came home and opened it up, everything was where it should be.

Yes. DON'T get a bag.

I've had bags. They weighed too much, yet still carried too little and the straps were not great for my shoulders.

I got a Stanley rolling toolbox. First, it rolls. Read: No weight on your shoulder.

Second, it holds far more in a far more organized fashion. Two trays; lots of room to organize spare parts, tools, ammo, targets, lube, etc.

Third, you now have a hard surface on which to sit, load mags, etc.

Oh - did I mention they're cheaper than a "tournament" size bag?

I still use a bag to carry drinks, ammo, guns and holsters to the car. I use the box to carry all the other stuff at the range.

+1 for this suggestion.

I ordered one from Amazon, just under $80. Free shipping. It arrived in three days. The same item is available at Lowe's for the same price, but Amazon doesn't charge sales tax. I am very pleased with the layout of the bins. It will hold a lot of stuff. As Scriv said the large flat surface comes in very handy. It will even double as a seat. The brand name is Stanley Fatmax.

Good idea, Scriv.

I had been using a small canvas bag that was my grandfather's in WWII. Then when I joined the NRA they sent me a free bag with their logo slapped on the side. I can tote around 5 fullsize guns and 500 rounds of ammo without feeling like it's going to rip to pieces. good enough for me!

A new bag is coming out soon from I-Shot. I saw a prototype last year being tested out by an I-Shot sponsored shooter. They were calling it the Gamer, it might be called the Evolution now though. That is a really well thought out bag, but hard to describe. Definietly look out for those. MLE Shooting should have them when they come out.

That EVOlution bag is available now:

http://mle-shootingsports.com/Range...HOT---EVOlution---Range-Bag/product_info.html

Looks cool. What I really liked about it was that it has a bag but it didn't have that "dark hole" in the middle that your gear disappears into like my bags seem to develop. The two sides provide an organized place for everything. It looks like it has the same rubber handle that my BlackHawk backpack has.

It is on my list for my next buying frenzy.

I would invest in someone to carry your equipment for you, (yes, I know this is called a slave, but I'm being politically correct).
Perhaps someone that owes you a large sum of money, or an ex wife that is a crackhead stripper that owes years of back child support.......

I have the range bag from Midwayusa also.. I didn't expect much for $39 but it fooled me it's great, a little heavy but that's because it's huge.

I've had mine for a year, I carry 15, loaded 1911 mags, 5 model 41 loaded mags, muffs, 3 handguns, cleaning gear, tools and a couple of hundred 45 rounds in it every time I go to the range.

It weighs about 75 pounds when it's loaded up but the strap and the carrying handles work good.. For $39 you can't beat it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpa...e=bsmidwayusabag_img&utm_medium=homepage51908

Back
Top Bottom