random thought about mounting a stock to the front rail of a pistol

Agnotology

NES Member
Would a butt stock set-up on a pistol that mounted to the front rail work? I know it would look.... more than a little ridiculous, but having the mounting point near the end of the barrel would have some huge muzzle flip reduction gains, no? Rail and frame would probably have to be redesigned to accepted the additional stress. I also know it would be much heavier. But its an idea.

I am just thinking of the UM3 sight mount, but it continues all the way back into a butt stock. That would look silly as hell, but I still would want to try shooting something like that.

Last edited:
Assuming you're talking about a stock that connects farther forward but still comes back to your shoulder somehow, isn't your shoulder still the hinge point?

Nevermind - this is a pistol. I'm very confused. And out. [laugh]

Handguns have been around for ~500 years.

Pretty much everything has been tried.

There seems to be a more-or-less "settled" basic layout, that pretty much everyone, even the Antis,

621195bd-f1df-4ab0-8dec-5acd61db6fae_1.182a029cc254f29c3a07c4139673ea79.jpeg

agree is "right."

As the Bible says, There is nothing new under the Sun (Ecc. 1:9)

That said....go for it! [rockon]

Would a butt stock set-up on a pistol that mounted to the front rail work? I know it would look.... more than a little ridiculous, but having the mounting point near the end of the barrel would have some huge muzzle flip reduction gains, no? Rail and frame would probably have to be redesigned to accepted the additional stress. I also know it would be much heavier. But its an idea.

I am just thinking of the UM3 sight mount, but it continues all the way back into a butt stock. That would look silly as hell, but I still would want to try shooting something like that.
My understanding is that to put a stock on a pistol (that's designed to be shouldered) is to make a rifle...if it has a <16" barrel, it would be an SBR.

My understanding is that to put a stock on a pistol (that's designed to be shouldered) is to make a rifle...if it has a <16" barrel, it would be an SBR.

This.

I think the only legally-stocked pistols available are the C96s and BHPs that came with those wooden buttstock holsters. Depending on who you listen to, those can't be repros, either; they have to be the antique item.

Maybe those old Arty Lugers, too? I'm not sure.

I think OP is talking a forward vertical for his other hand.

Also think this might get him a free ride to club fed.

This.

I think the only legally-stocked pistols available are the C96s and BHPs that came with those wooden buttstock holsters. Depending on who you listen to, those can't be repros, either; they have to be the antique item.

Maybe those old Arty Lugers, too? I'm not sure.
I think there are some 1911s, too?

It sounds so gay I didn’t put much thought into it. But it might be considered in a AOW. “ all other weapons”

Which I don’t remember if it’s a 5,20, or $25 tax stamp… because you’re using a stock. I’m not sure where that would fall.

Write the NFA branch for a determination letter..
You’ll have to explain it a lot better and draw them a picture..

I’m pretty sure they’re going to tell you. That’s gay

I am not suggesting anyone attempt to make something like this. It's just a thought experiment. You have a UM3 mount that attaches to the underbarrel rail where you would normally mount a laser/flashlight/tactical device. Now imagine from the mounting point, it runs all the way back to become a stock. Placing the connection point and therefore the leverage point near the end of the pistol.

Attaching anything to the front of a pistol like a grip makes it an AOW…
Being able to shoulder it makes it an SBR…

If you were going to do what you suggested, it would have to extend below the grip go past the rear of the firearm curve back up and then extend out behind it.. which in itself is pretty lame..

I’d prefer one of those things that you drop a pistol in to make a SBR it’s like a carrier that you insert the pistol into, I’m not gonna Google an example but there’s plenty of them I do kind of want one of those…

Back
Top Bottom