• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Random questions - shooting, reloading and life in general

Realtor MA

NES Life Member
NES Member
Answer all, some or none. Your choice.

1)Why does my Dillon xl650 shell plate get tighter while I'm reloading? To the point that the press stops and I have to loosen the bolt to get things going again.
2)Do most people like to load hot ammo or nice light fluffy loads? I find the nice light fluffy ones more fun to shoot. And I like to stick to one load. Do you?
3)Are there any coop hunting clubs in New England? I was a regular guest at a club in the catskills until my friend passed away. 3000 acres and 2 lakes for only 50 members/families. Hunting, boating, shooting, fishing, skiing etc. Each membership included a house lot. At least a few clubs like that upstate New York. But NY state gun laws suck and I would like to find something closer if it exists.
4)Do you let factory ammo sit and shoot your reloads? How old is too old for ammo?
5)Does your press run more smoothly with any particular calibers? Mine seems to run more smoothly with 9mm than with .40

I like slug fart loads, to the point of the meplat hitting the paper seems louder than the report

i will shoot factory or reloads depending how lazy I am.
No idea of co op clubs although I tried to convince my mom aunts and inlaws to sell everything up here and find a place south with enough land to build a few houses far enough appart to be out of each others hair.
was think a few hundred acres and a few small houses

2. Medium loads. Enough to make power factor in games that require it. If shooting Bullseye, light loads that cycle the action.

3. Not sure. There a nice one in the Adirondacks. I can dig up their info if you need it.

4. Sometimes. Older than me. Be careful as some older ammunition has corrosive primers.

5. 45 acp runs smoothly. 9mm a PITA. I figure it’s smaller components and my fat fingers, so user problem vs equipment problem.

There are a couple hunt clubs in western MA, believe they operate mostly on property owned by a certain forestry company, not sure the details, just know they exist as I've had to be wary of venturing onto their property in various places out this way as they have a reputation for being complete a**h***s if you accidentally cross a boundary.

For 9mm, I like soft shooting mousefart loads especially for USPSA/IDPA.

But for 357 and 44 mag, I want full magnum stout loads! [laugh] Though I do enjoy shooting light 357 and 44 mag loads with coated bullets from time to time.

1 I also think it's the set screw
2 I load light loads
3 I don't k now of any coop hunting clubs in New England
4 I shoot reloads and let the factory ammo sit. I don't know why
5 The press doesn't seem to run any better with one caliber over another

Back
Top Bottom