Random call to the shop leads to.....

Random call to the shop, guy says he is cleaning out a deceased relative's house and has a couple guns they're looking to move on from. Usually that means a 22 rifle, a Ted Williams shotgun, and several eye rolls, but holy shit - not this time.

His dad's Remington Rand 1911 carried during WWII. All original with the issued holster.

My first reaction was to refuse to even consider it. I mean, it will never mean as much to someone as it will to him. But he had already considered that, and after thinking long and hard about it with his specific circumstances he figured it was the right time.

It's with great respect and honor this gun will soon go to auction and hopefully make someone very happy.

OpzEMeo.jpg

Random call to the shop, guy says he is cleaning out a deceased relative's house and has a couple guns they're looking to move on from. Usually that means a 22 rifle, a Ted Williams shotgun, and several eye rolls, but holy shit - not this time.

His dad's Remington Rand 1911 carried during WWII. All original with the issued holster.

My first reaction was to refuse to even consider it. I mean, it will never mean as much to someone as it will to him. But he had already considered that, and after thinking long and hard about it with his specific circumstances he figured it was the right time.

It's with great respect and honor this gun will soon go to auction and hopefully make someone very happy.

OpzEMeo.jpg
I wish...

I bought a Remington Rand a couple of years ago under similar circumstances (GI bring back) that was complete with the original M1916 holster, matching magazine pouch and one magazine for $1625. I wish it was a Singer though.

Why waste all that time, hassle, and risk with an auction when I can give you $500 for it right now?

[rofl]

Edit for clarity: that’s a beautiful gun with a heck of a story and I imagine it will go for substantially more at auction

$501 [laugh]

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

OpzEMeo.jpg
What would that go for?

Damn. Very nice. Wish I had my dad's that my mom sold (along with a Luger he picked up in Germany after the war) after he died. At the time, I was a kid and had no input into the matter.

Oh, and will $502.25 do it?

I was expecting another Swat raid story.

But this story is much better. If I was that guy, I would have never put that gun on auction. It will bring a decent sum of money but its not large enough to solve any significant problems. That guy will regret it.

I spent a good amount of time trying to convince him to keep it, and will continue to do so up until the auction starts in a week or so. But I honestly believe he won't change his mind for a couple reasons I won't get in to.

I'm hoping he meditates on it a bit more, the real happy ending is me shipping it to his local FFL and him handing it down to the next generation.

I was expecting another Swat raid story.

But this story is much better. If I was that guy, I would have never put that gun on auction. It will bring a decent sum of money but its not large enough to solve any significant problems. That guy will regret it.

I spent a good amount of time trying to convince him to keep it, and will continue to do so up until the auction starts in a week or so. But I honestly believe he won't change his mind for a couple reasons I won't get in to.

I'm hoping he meditates on it a bit more, the real happy ending is me shipping it to his local FFL and him handing it down to the next generation.
Nothing against you man and I think it is great you tried to speak with the owner.

Any auction details? As a ww2 reenactor this is the kind of stuff I drool over- period piece, papers of providence, and maybe a few stories to document with the piece.

You said "a couple guns". What's the other one(s)?

Not worth mentioning. Single shot mossberg 22 and a Llama 380

Any auction details? As a ww2 reenactor this is the kind of stuff I drool over- period piece, papers of providence, and maybe a few stories to document with the piece.

Not yet, giving it a week to clean up, research, pics, etc. And hoping he takes it back.

Curious if you could hint at the serial number.

My I offer a similar story here?

A number of years ago, a similar thing happened to me where the ignorant son of a WWII vet asked me to value a 'box of guns' his father had stashed in his basement. The old guy was in a home and they were cleaning the house. I offered to pick them up but he, stupidly, tossed them in his trunk and drove around before coming to my house. He has no permits for our State. In any event, I took a quick peek and put them on the kitchen table. Later on, when my wife was making dinner, I began to inventory the six pieces in there. As usual, an Italian clone with a bunch of really uninteresting stuff. There was one commercial luger in there which would have been fun. And then............and then my wife said I actually audibly gasped. There was this pristine 1911 at the very bottom just sitting there. After my initial gasp I dawned on me that this must be a cloned-clone of some type, right? I carefully picked it up and turned it over to see the roll mark and serial number................#575. Yep......the 575th 1911 ever made right there in my hands. Complete, too, with two mags, holster, and a box of original fmj .45. It hadn't been handled since the end of the war when it was boxed. The fact that it didn't have any rust on it was mind blowing. Just from the moisture in the air they can pit as all of you know. Anyway, I put on gloves and gave it a good inspection. I didn't rack it. Everything in that handgun was vintage to it and the last thing I wanted to do is tempt fate. I then took pics of it and began emailing buds who might be able to help with info. The offers began flooding in. The top offer was $7500.
Colt left white background.jpgcolt 45 right side.jpg
The Army was issued the first 500. The Navy the second 500. This fella happened to be stationed in Port in New Jersey (I think) and was a lucky bastard to get it. Notice the original wood grips in perfect condition. Little to no holster wear because he didn't wear it much. It can't tell if he even shot it because the box of rounds was complete. This was making my head spin, encountering some gun history right there on my kitchen table. I will always remember that first encounter.

Anyway, what happened? I documented everything did and observed and provided some documentation from on-line. I called the son and told him there was something special there. He said he'd be over to collect them. First, I was very reluctant to hand these all back to him because he did not have the permit to have handguns. In Connecticut, the permit is absolutely required. He said he didn't care and they were his and he could do what he wanted with them. We'll what choice did I have? Have a cop waiting for him as he arrived? The guy owned the company my sister-in-law worked for, jerk or no jerk. So, he came to collect them. I then showed him my research and explained that this 1911 needed to be in a museum (The Springfield Armory is only up the street) and he could sell it to them for some pretty nice dollars. I explained that guns like this are very very rare and should not be handled like any ordinary .45. His reply? "If its worth that much now it'll be worth more in the future. It's going into a safe deposit box." He had zero respect for it other than money and was clueless to the history. Well, that's that. It really disgusted me because a bit of history was going to disappear for another decade or more. I tried to explain that there was a chance that handguns may not even be worth anything in the future should they be oulawed by some uber liberal government overreach but he didn't care a whit about that. Bone-headed ignoramous. I know.....it's his (or his Dad's), not mine. So, off it went. He didn't even offer me a nickle for my work, either. I just have no use for guys like that. BTW, I was a C&R at the time, too.

Just thought I'd resurrect this story which still hurts just a little.

I'm guessing the guy who wants it gone is not a "gun guy". Too bad he wouldn't transfer it to a dear family friend or something. Or donates it to that Museum in the future in the movie "Demolition Man" where high society is a night out at Taco Bell and the only guns are locked up in a glass case, except for Dennis Rodman. All kidding aside, it would be nice to see it auctioned off and donate proceeds to a cause, like, um like, BLUE Lives Matter, ALL Lives Matter, or Project New Hope that helps soldiers returning home with PTSD and almost every cent actually goes to the soldiers, unlike WW, and more humor, remove children's mask before school starts so they can breathe.org, or something............................ You get the idea.

I would give my left and right nut to know what happened to my Dad's 1911.

After he passed I looked high and low and could not locate his guns, including the the 1911 and K-17 S&W .22 revolver I loved so much.

I bought a Remington Rand a couple of years ago under similar circumstances (GI bring back) that was complete with the original M1916 holster, matching magazine pouch and one magazine for $1625. I wish it was a Singer though.
My grandfather had a Singer 1911. His M1 carbine was Rock-Ola. Classics!

Back
Top Bottom