• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Randolph, MA?

Anyone applied for a license in Randolph? Care to tell me what is needed and how was the process? Sucks every town in MA is different. Trying to get my wife to get her license and I want her to be as ready as possible. Thanks guys!

Wait until after 1/1 and demand "All Lawful Purposes" - You may be the test case, under the new law signed by Coupe Devol the Chief of Police must have a "clear and articulable" reason for denial or restrictions. Then you can appeal to a district court judge.

The rule seems to be the more crime in that city or town the less chance you have of getting an unrestricted license. Examples, Boston, Chelsea, Brocton, Lowell. Not much of a chance of getting an unrestricted license in those places. Though there are exceptions to every rule.

The rule seems to be the more crime in that city or town the less chance you have of getting an unrestricted license. Examples, Boston, Chelsea, Brocton, Lowell. Not much of a chance of getting an unrestricted license in those places. Though there are exceptions to every rule.
Not necessarily the case in brockton, myself and three of my friends received our LTC's with no restrictions within the last three years. I got mine in exactly 8 weeks.

Renewed my LTCA unrestricted this year for the second time in Randolph. No problem and reasonable wait after the interview.[grin]

Renewed my LTCA unrestricted this year for the second time in Randolph. No problem and reasonable wait after the interview.[grin]

Do you need to retake the basic pistol class every time? The randolph website says something about "up to date" certificate, but I'm not sure what that means.

Still annoying that there is a ~3:1 ratio of unrestricted to restricted. At least this town isn't one that is 1:1 or less, why i can't see myself living in boston anymore.

I got my unrestricted Ltc, and I'm in randolph, the first time. This was in 2012. I gave a good excuse and be nice and chat the Leo up. Dress the part not like you woke up.

Anyone applied for a license in Randolph? Care to tell me what is needed and how was the process? Sucks every town in MA is different. Trying to get my wife to get her license and I want her to be as ready as possible. Thanks guys!

Hey Man, I just saw this thread today or would have posted this earlier.

Take or at least schedule a firearms class and call Commander Courtney and make the appointment. When you call him, he'll ask if you've taken the class. My appointment was about a month from the time I called.

You'll need the certificate from the class, a property tax or excise tax bill showing your address in Randolph and a drivers license. Maybe another item but I don't recall what. If you have a DD-214 bring that too as well as any letter from an employer you'll be carrying for. He'll tell you what to bring. Write it down as he's saying it if your memory sucks like mine does.

Don't be nervous about the meeting, he's very friendly and is a good guy to talk to. I actually enjoyed the meeting. Have good reasons for wanting the license to carry because he will ask you what they are and listen carefully to your answer. Saying "for all lawful purposes" and "personal protection" isn't enough. You'll be fingerprinted for the FBI database and your picture will be taken. Bring the $100 fee in cash. The meeting will take about 40 minutes. Near the end of the meeting he'll tell you what license and what restrictions you'll receive. Sorry but expect restrictions. He'll tell you how long it'll be until your license arrives. In my case he said six weeks and it came exactly one day short of six weeks.

I wrote this in the new users thread when I first joined:

I have an LTC-A, restricted, despite being in my late forties with no criminal record of any kind. The firearms officer stated that everyone's getting a restriction unless they put a DD214 or a letter from an employer saying they need to carry on his desk. I asked if taking courses from Mass Firearms and others, then reapplying, would get the restriction removed and he said no, not by him. He said that maybe the next firearms officer that takes over when he retires might do it. Maybe. I'm not bashing him, he's a good guy, a veteran, and a true public servant but I have to express my disagreement with him on this point.

Randolph has had about 5 shootings in the last 4 months with about 8 people getting shot including 4 people in the last week. Unfortunately this equals less people getting carry licenses to defend themselves, not more.

Hey Man, I just saw this thread today or would have posted this earlier.

Take or at least schedule a firearms class and call Commander Courtney and make the appointment. When you call him, he'll ask if you've taken the class. My appointment was about a month from the time I called.

You'll need the certificate from the class, a property tax or excise tax bill showing your address in Randolph and a drivers license. Maybe another item but I don't recall what. If you have a DD-214 bring that too as well as any letter from an employer you'll be carrying for. He'll tell you what to bring. Write it down as he's saying it if your memory sucks like mine does.

Don't be nervous about the meeting, he's very friendly and is a good guy to talk to. I actually enjoyed the meeting. Have good reasons for wanting the license to carry because he will ask you what they are and listen carefully to your answer. Saying "for all lawful purposes" and "personal protection" isn't enough. You'll be fingerprinted for the FBI database and your picture will be taken. Bring the $100 fee in cash. The meeting will take about 40 minutes. Near the end of the meeting he'll tell you what license and what restrictions you'll receive. Sorry but expect restrictions. He'll tell you how long it'll be until your license arrives. In my case he said six weeks and it came exactly one day short of six weeks.

I wrote this in the new users thread when I first joined:

I have an LTC-A, restricted, despite being in my late forties with no criminal record of any kind. The firearms officer stated that everyone's getting a restriction unless they put a DD214 or a letter from an employer saying they need to carry on his desk. I asked if taking courses from Mass Firearms and others, then reapplying, would get the restriction removed and he said no, not by him. He said that maybe the next firearms officer that takes over when he retires might do it. Maybe. I'm not bashing him, he's a good guy, a veteran, and a true public servant but I have to express my disagreement with him on this point.

Randolph has had about 5 shootings in the last 4 months with about 8 people getting shot including 4 people in the last week. Unfortunately this equals less people getting carry licenses to defend themselves, not more.

Go begging to exercise your rights in a limited way and be respectful of THE MAN.

This is something new with Courtney, he didnt' grill me or do the usually BS and I was 20 something and first time applicant. I have to renew in 2017, I hope this shit isn't going down then. I will go over his head to the chief.

Wait until after 1/1 and demand "All Lawful Purposes" - You may be the test case, under the new law signed by Coupe Devol the Chief of Police must have a " reason for denial or restrictions. Then you can appeal to a district court judge.

clear and articulable" could just mean " my policy is to restrict everyone"
would be perfectly fine for the judges in this state.
there should be no other reason than ALP.

sadly in this state

I'm actually a bit surprised there are less than 1k ltc holders in Randolph.... 30k plus people there?

Last edited:
Do you need to retake the basic pistol class every time? The randolph website says something about "up to date" certificate, but I'm not sure what that means.

No I have renewed before and still have only the certificate from my original class

Where I used to live in Mass, they made me take a BFS class before every renewal and show a certificate with a recent date.
I argued this point and told them the law specifically states that if you were licensed on 6/21/98 (which I was) you are exempt from providing a BFS certificate. My former PD flatly told me "we don't care what the law says, if you want the license you have to take another class".

clear and articulable" could just mean " my policy is to restrict everyone"
would be perfectly fine for the judges in this state.
there should be no other reason than ALP.
This is why it is important that the test cases be brought by competent counsel, with carefully selected plaintiffs, with the goal of establishing decent case law.

There is a huge danger if we get pro-se applicants, or applicants who are not good cases brought by attorneys who are doing a great job representing their client, but a terrible job in regards to strategy for the cause.

Just look at the track record on juvenile sealed records (we lost, and SCOTUS denied cert). Rather than a juvenile with a technical felony, we had to argue our point in a case (Chardin) involving a now upstanding citizen convicted of carrying a gun as a 14 year old in Boston. Comm2A files an amicus, but did not initiate that case.

Back
Top Bottom