• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ran some more reloads- .45s with 231 and Power Pistol

Everthing went real well. No problems at all. All rounds thru S&W DK1911.

.45 ACP Speer 230gr FMJ Winchester 231 WLP 1.265 5.2gr
.45 ACP Speer 230gr FMJ Winchester 231 WLP 1.265 5.6gr
.45 ACP Speer 230gr FMJ Winchester 231 WLP 1.265 5.8gr
.45 ACP Speer 230gr FMJ Power Pistol WLP 1.265 6.5gr
.45 ACP Speer 230gr FMJ Power Pistol WLP 1.265 7.0gr

Of the Winchester loads I'd say I like the 5.6 best. Plenty accurate and decent recoil. The 5.2gr was a very light round. 5.8 grains wasn't noticably different. I'll still with 5.2 or 5.6 for 231.

Power Pistol was nice. I liked the 7.0 gr setup the best. Damn- I do LOVE the bright yellow flash from the Power Pistol rounds. All rounds were plenty accurate from the bench for me!

Looks like overall the Power Pistol and 231 are both fine for 9mm, .40 and .45. I think the 231 is weak in the 9mm rounds but both seem good for .45.

Not sure that mirrors others experience but all was good. Now I'll have to try some Bullseye for the different calibers....

As a side note.. the DK1911 is a beautiful gun. Very nicely balanced at accurate beyond my means. I can shoot fine off hand slow fire. Strange thing is I can't seem to do very well firing quickly yet... weird. Maybe I'm just used to Glock and Sig triggers...

Last edited:
I'd experiment with Unique before trying Bullseye. Unique easily makes factory level loads, but Bullseye is a very fast powder and very sensitive to a couple of tenths of a grain in charge difference. It is the best powder in the world for mid-range target loads in a .38 Spl., but I would stay away from it for hard ball .45 or full power 9 mm.

I'd experiment with Unique before trying Bullseye. Unique easily makes factory level loads, but Bullseye is a very fast powder and very sensitive to a couple of tenths of a grain in charge difference. It is the best powder in the world for mid-range target loads in a .38 Spl., but I would stay away from it for hard ball .45 or full power 9 mm.

When I first went to buy some powder I must have had my head up my ass.... I bought 231 and Bulleye. At least I only have a pound of Bulleye. I really like Power Pistol the best so far.

I run 4.8gr of 231 under 230gr MasterBlaster...they are poly coated lead, they run faster than jacket. so I can make PF with less recoil

I have also usedr WST and Clay, while clays did not seem to meter well, it did shoot soft and clean

When I first went to buy some powder I must have had my head up my ass.... I bought 231 and Bulleye. At least I only have a pound of Bulleye. I really like Power Pistol the best so far.

No worries - powder is relatively cheap and, if stored properly (tightly sealed, cool and dry place) will last for many years. I've bought a pound of a powder to try a particular load, decided it wasn't what I was looking for, and put the powder in the back of the cabinet only to end up using it many years later when I started reloading something new that called for it. It's nice to have a little powder "library" so you can have the variety do some load development without having to run out and buy a lot of new stuff every time.

You can use the Bullseye for .45 ACP, especially if you're going to load any 200gr LSWC. Six grains of Bullseye and a 200Gr lead bullet make for a very accurate load.

Back
Top Bottom