• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ramshot, Accurate or Nitro for 45ACP??

Which powder for 185gr Berry's RNHB

• Ramshot True Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramshot Silhouette

• Ramshot Zip

• Ramshot Competition

• Accurate No. 2

• Accurate Solo 1000

• Nitro 100 Nf

• Total voters

Golddiggie

NES Member
Found data for the following powders along with the Berry's 185gr RNHB projectiles:
Ramshot True Blue, Silhouette, Zip, and Competition.
Accurate No. 2 and Solo 1000
Nitro 100 Nf

I see that some are spherical, or ball, powders, which I prefer. Looking to see if people are using any of these powders and how they like them. I didn't see Ramshot Competition on their site this morning but I'm also using my phone, so will try again later.

I've used Win231 a lot for 45 ACP and like the way it works. If any of the above powders work as well, or better, then I want to know. While I have almost 6# of 231 on hand, I'm not opposed to switching IF it's to a superior powder.

Make your pick in the poll. If more than one, post up how they rank in your experience.

I was looking at powders that are listed for the projectile so that I have solid data to work from. As noted I do have about 6# of Win231 on hand and have used it for some time with loads.

The 185gr projectile loads will be used in a race gun, with a comp, so faster is better.

Slower powder is better with a comp
Yeah I was about to say the same, a slower powder is better. Powders like HS-6 and 3N38 (among others) for instance, are popular with guys shooting open.

Of the powders you listed, I'd imagine Silhouette or True Blue would be your best bet if you're running a comp?

But for standard 45 loads, nothing wrong with HP-38/Win231

When I said faster I was referring to projectile speed.

I'll see if I can get a pound of Silhouette and True Blue and make some test loads in the coming weeks.

Interesting, did not know HP38 and Win231 were the same. Learned something new. Maybe now I can buy whatever is available/cheaper. Looking online it appears HP38 is a couple bucks cheaper per pound where I shop.

That said I just started using Win231 for 38spl and I really like it. Finding it much easier to work with than Accurate # 7.

I think this weekend I'll do some 9mm and 9x18 Mak rounds with it and see how I like it. If it works well for all three, I might roll with it.
I do plan to do 45acp someday so good to know people like it for that as well.

231, its a well known, proven powder for 45. And you've got enough for over 6000 rounds I'd say.

For me, I found Titegroup worked better than 231.

231, its a well known, proven powder for 45. And you've got enough for over 6000 rounds I'd say.

For me, I found Titegroup worked better than 231.

The 231 will be used for the 230gr projectiles. Looking at what I'll use for the 185gr HBRN projectiles for the 1911 race gun.

Once I'm out of 231, I'll re-evaluate if I'll use it or what I pick for the 185gr projectiles. I'd rather not have multiple powders for the same caliber just because of different projectile weights.

None of the above. You should just stick to W231, particularly if you use mouse fart loads.

If you're actually throwing heat (eg for something like bowling pins) and want to work a compensator.... Power Pistol.

Unique also very useful in .45 for getting juice.

Nicest .45 ACP powder I ever used was Vhit N340 though.... with the right recipe, minimal dirt.

-Mike

Hs6 will work, the problem with 45 and comps is you just arent going to get enough pressure to really work the comp.
Since you are saying racegun, I assume this is for USPSA. You might be better off shooting a 230gr with a fast powder than a 185 with a slow powder. Since neither are working the comp well, just go with the better load. A friend went down this same road and this is what we found.

I did up some Berry's 185g HBRN with Power Pistol, but that's not on your list. They were pretty snappy and made for good indoor range muzzle blast.

Back
Top Bottom