• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rally on April 19th

Should we organize a Rally on the Lexington Green for April 19th?

• YES!

Votes: 109 99.1%
  • Are you off your rocker?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take your meds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never happen

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FrugalFannie

NES Member
WHat do you think of a rally on the Lexington Green on the 19th? Maybe followed by a march toward Concord?

I know, we would have to probably get permits. Let's not shoot the idea down. Let's see if there is interest?

ETA:

On April 19, 1775, British and American soldiers exchanged fire in the Massachusetts towns of Lexington and Concord. On the night of April 18, the royal governor of Massachusetts, General Thomas Gage, commanded by King George III to suppress the rebellious Americans, had ordered 700 British soldiers, under Lieutenant Colonel Francis Smith and Marine Major John Pitcairn, to seize the colonists' military stores in Concord, some 20 miles west of Boston.

from here: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/apr19.html

Last edited:
IN!
IN!
IN!
IN!
I swear by it!
~Matt

I know some guys in the re-enactment company (British Side). I bet they'd trade their Brown Besses for signs after they're done.

Anyone check if there's already a big event there on that day ? I realize we are about the only people who cares about that whole Paul Revere / Freedom / Revolutionary War thing thing in this state , but maybe the Park Rangers have a picnic or something that particular day.

(b) Except as exempted or provided by law, no person shall carry on his person on any public way an unloaded rifle or shotgun, unless such rifle or shotgun is enclosed in a case.

Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $1,000, and may be arrested without a warrant; provided, however, that if such unloaded rifle or shotgun is a large capacity weapon and is carried simultaneously with a fully or partially loaded large capacity feeding device, such person shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and may be arrested without a warrant.

This subsection shall not apply to drills, parades, military reenactments or other commemorative ceremonies, color guards or memorial service firing squads, so-called, as permitted by law.

Let's march! [rofl]

I remember oathkeepers hosted a rally in 2009 as the local government (all liberals of course) were not happy and would not likely allow such a rally to happen again

My only question.... is April 19th too late. I couldn't make this last one, but I'm a bit concerned April 19th is too late.

I agree. We should have a big protest in Boston before April. Late February or early March. Then have the 19th of April too.

WHat do you think of a rally on the Lexington Green on the 19th? Maybe followed by a march toward Concord?

I know, we would have to probably get permits. Let's not shoot the idea down. Let's see if there is interest?

ETA:

On April 19, 1775, British and American soldiers exchanged fire in the Massachusetts towns of Lexington and Concord. On the night of April 18, the royal governor of Massachusetts, General Thomas Gage, commanded by King George III to suppress the rebellious Americans, had ordered 700 British soldiers, under Lieutenant Colonel Francis Smith and Marine Major John Pitcairn, to seize the colonists' military stores in Concord, some 20 miles west of Boston.

from here: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/apr19.html

I grew up in Arlington, I am pretty sure they might have an event there that day already. They seem to have a ton of reenactments and such.

I grew up in Lexington and the parade was always the Monday of April vacation. I’m pretty sure the reenactments happen on either the Saturday before or the day of the parade so Friday might not be a bad day.

Patriot's Day has a ton of parades. Lexington Green is packed for a reenactment at around 5AM, and another around 10AM if I recall correctly. Parking, logistics - it would be a serious challenge. A rally the size of Boston would utterly fill the green, spill onto the adjacent Buckman's Tavern lawn, and leave no room for spectators. And there's *lots* of muckety mucks who like to show the flag and pay top dollar for close seats at that reenactment.

So... high risk, possibly high impact. Not sure what could be pulled off, especially this close to the day.

That said, doing something for 4/19 would be appropriate, even if it is too late to affect legislation.
Lots more room at North Bridge - but less audience. (As an aside, one member of North Bridge staff - I'm afraid I don't know him - has a son in the Marines and has lots of 2A bumperstickers. So there's at least one friendly there. )

Boston Common might be another option.

Hrmm - confirmed most of the big events are 4/14 and 4/15.
4/19 itself might actually be open.

Lexington Events 4/14-4/15 -
http://ci.lexington.ma.us/committees/patriotsday.cfm
http://www.nps.gov/mima/patriots-day.htm

Patriot's Day has a ton of parades. Lexington Green is packed for a reenactment at around 5AM, and another around 10AM if I recall correctly. Parking, logistics - it would be a serious challenge. A rally the size of Boston would utterly fill the green, spill onto the adjacent Buckman's Tavern lawn, and leave no room for spectators. And there's *lots* of muckety mucks who like to show the flag and pay top dollar for close seats at that reenactment.

So... high risk, possibly high impact. Not sure what could be pulled off, especially this close to the day.

That said, doing something for 4/19 would be appropriate, even if it is too late to affect legislation.
Lots more room at North Bridge - but less audience. (As an aside, one member of North Bridge staff - I'm afraid I don't know him - has a son in the Marines and has lots of 2A bumperstickers. So there's at least one friendly there. )

Boston Common might be another option.

Hrmm - confirmed most of the big events are 4/14 and 4/15.
4/19 itself might actually be open.

Lexington Events 4/14-4/15 -
http://ci.lexington.ma.us/committees/patriotsday.cfm
http://www.nps.gov/mima/patriots-day.htm

So the question is do we 'piggy back' on an event that we know will have lots of coverage and possibly get swallowed up or do we run our own event on a different day?

I truly am not afraid of over crowding the area even if it's on a day with lots of other events. If nothing else we should at least be at these celebrations of our 'freedoms' with signs to point out the irony.

A couple notes for historical relevance -

A. We're also fighting a media war. The opposition will use 4/19 to point to the 1990s events. I personally think here is the ONE place in the country we could do a 4/19 event and have the real truth of it shine through, but remember it's still a consideration.

B. The actual looking for/confiscation of arms on 4/19/75 was mostly at Concord, both in town itself and on a farm across the North Bridge from town. Taking the position of the Patriots on the hill above that bridge, where Isaac Davis organized his men, would be a photograph like no other. The downside is - much lower audience than on Lexington Green. MUCH lower audience. (Maybe a few hundred, as opposed to thousands). If the logistics could be handled, Lexington would probably be better.

Start in lexington on the green with full load outs (riffles visible and plenty of ammo on hand), let them chase us to concord. we can stand our ground there at the bridge.

Back
Top Bottom