• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rail mounted bipods?

Anybody have a recommendation for a good rail mounted bipod, or positive reviews for the rail to swivel mount adapters?

I think it's a matter of taste and rifle.

Tango Down makes a rail mounted unit that folds flush against the sides of the rails. Pros: Folds flush against the rails. Cons: Lacks adjustment.

GripPod is a vertical grip that contains a spring loaded bipod. Pros: Convenience, cool factor and freeing up rail space. Cons: Lack of adjustability, the shooting position at which the bipod puts you when prone. Beware of imitators - they are cheap, crappy and will likely break down quickly. Real GripPods are about $100.00

Harris is really the industry standard. It's likely used by more shooters than any other bipod. Rail mounts can be had for $15.00 to $100.00 If you have the budget, a Harris bipod in a LaRue rail mount would be kick ass....Pros: Rock solid, adjustable shooting heights, myriad of options, (cant, rotation, leg lengths , foot options, etc). Cons: Bulky, slightly complex and unless mounted on a QR, nit easy to mount/dismount quickly, (much like my old girlfriend)...[wink]

The one thing to consider is what kind of rifle you're putting it on. Generally, putting a bipod on a fighting carbine is not a popular thing to do - "elitists" have a field day with people putting them on M4's for example. I say: Screw them - if a Harris makes you happy and encourages you to shoot more, then go for it. I don't have one on my M4, but have one on my SOCOM-16/Troy MCS and love it....

Larue makes a rail adapter for the Harris Bipod.

Link

Everything else they make is top-notch, so I doubt this item would be any different.

Steve

If you don't need a quick release mount, the Yankee Hill Machine bipod adapter YHM-638 is a solid piece of gear.

YHM-638.jpg

Tough to find in stock, though.

Does anybody own this grip pod and have an opinion? I am thinking of getting one for my Sig 556...

I have used the heavier one made of metal and it rocked. I don't know about the lighter plastic one but it is the only one you can find these days. No one seems to carry the heavier one. What rips me is that they are selling the lighter plastic one for the same price as the heavier metal one @ many online retailers.

Does anybody own this grip pod and have an opinion? I am thinking of getting one for my Sig 556...

As I said in my earlier post, they are a neat piece of engineering, but as terraformer pointed out, you will have to search, (try M4Carbines.net) to find an original. I had one briefly and sold it and here's why: If all you're ever going to do is plink at the range with it, the GripPod will serve you well. If however on the low end, you take a carbine class or on the high end, use your weapon for SHTF, there is a thing to consider. Where I found a drawback was in shooting prone. The GP - especially extended, forces you into a higher shooting position in the prone and generally the lower you can be to terra-firma the better....

Back
Top Bottom