• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RadioShack pro-96 scanner

Sparky480

NES Member
Hey guys, I'm picking up a RadioShack pro-96 scanner, Should be arriving at the house within the next few days. Does anyone have this type of scanner and maybe can give me a heads up what I'm going to need to program this animal. My current scanner is a Uniden bearcat 145 XL 16 channel which is pretty basic but I wanted to get a mobile and I figure digital so as time goes on I'll have the capabilities. I started looking into this pro 96 scanner more and more online and it's starting to look very intimidating I hope I'm wrong and be able to get this puppy up and running, just looking for any suggestions or advice from the more experience Scanner enthusiast where to start and what is the best type of software for this type of scanner for a novice like myself starting out.

When I bought mine radio shack programed it for me. Maybe take it to the local radio shack and see if they will plug it into their software.

To get up and running quick just program the control channels for your area. This will get you state police and the local police and fire in your zone. You'll have to research what these channels are.

Last edited:
When I bought mine radio shack programed it for me. Maybe take it to the local radio shack and see if they will plug it into their software.
That would be the fastest way to get up and running. If you do it youself you will need to use "The RadioReference Database" for frequency lists .

Look here for more info Scanner Master - Police Scanners by Uniden Bearcat, AOR and Radio Shack. they are local. Some of the GRE radios are the same as Radio Shack. You will spend 50 to 75.00 to program the scanner if you do it yourself.

Hi BriMac I found on that site they have the software for the radio ARC 96 software for $29.95 I think I might try that route and also Looking at a link that JPM Suggested Radio reference.com has a lot of frequencies information on that site. I'm hoping I can copy from that site and paste it using the software that I will purchase for $29.95 And if that doesn't work well mousegunfan Suggested that I go to radio shack and see if they will program it for me. But if I can have the ability to program it myself that would be awesome for as frequency changes etc. I got to keep saying it in my mind I can do this lol
Thank you all so much For all your input it's definitely a big help.

Back
Top Bottom