Radio buffs ham it up: EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS EXERCISE HELD

Anything to communicate! In fact, though Hams have more power, range, etc. there are probably more people with CBs and certainly more with FRS radios. In a zombie uprising I'll be wanting to talk to more than just Hams.

We should try to do something where all NES people get on some radio one night a month (some Saturday night), and see who they can reach. Those with multiple means can help bridge the gaps. It would be cool to see how many could chime in. Maybe we could each give a key word or something, and everyone reply back to a NES post to say their part of it. It would be cool if we could communicate a message around the Northeast using just ham/CB/FRS/whatever radios with some sort of regularity. Over.

I'm in. I think it's a great idea. When TSHTF it would be good to have tried this before hand.

I suggest we start with a 2M simplex frequency and also try an HF frequency. Those of us with horizontal wire antennas that can do 80M or 40M might be able to work just around New England since they should work for NVIS propagation. (Need to pick something that most NES Hams have.)

We've done it a few times and it worked fairly well. I can cover all bands, so we can try a few things.

I just need an hour's notice so I can check my antenna.

NVIS would be they way to go. I would love to see what i can do with a NVIS and QRP especially when people are actually looking for me.

I still think this would be a cool thing, and maybe even fun for some. People could get on NES, and say "OK, try this now" or "listen here, I'm trying xyz now", or other similar things, to try to get some of the odd stuff sorted out.

Check out:

I still think this would be a cool thing, and maybe even fun for some. People could get on NES, and say "OK, try this now" or "listen here, I'm trying xyz now", or other similar things, to try to get some of the odd stuff sorted out.

Check out:

I'm in. I have tried this with many on this site. I agree with Madball13 on trying NVIS in the area.

I'm IN for NVIS too.
For those that have 40M & 80M I would like to do a sked where we all try 40M first to see how well that works, then at a pre-determined time on the clock switch to 80M to see how much better it is.

You know, with all the crazy weather, and all the cheaper radios around now, it might be time to revisit this idea.

Back
Top Bottom