• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Racism and Gun Control

Having followed politics for the last 15 years, either as an observer or commentator, I've noticed what can only be characterized as a disturbingly racist trend relative to the gun control movement.

Modern incarnations of the movement are as old as the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Robert F Kennedy - after which there was a tepid attempt to eradicate handguns from private ownership. These movements, while taking full advantage of an outraged American populace, failed to do more than ban or restrict guns in places like Washington, D.C., Chicago, Il and the town of Wilmette, IL, which had up until now, a complete ban on the possession and use of handguns by anyone except sworn law enforcement.

As the burning embers of the 1960s race riots gave way to the socioeconmic stagnation of the 1970s, the conversation of gun control was largely restricted to a few social liberal circles with nary a legislative action to punctuate it. There was no real "movement" as it were, to ban guns in any fashion, but gun crimes were raging throughout the inner cities. Gang warfare, cop killings, spree shooters - all outward symptoms of an escalating war on drugs that started under Richard Nixon. Washington, D.C., which banned handguns (and any loaded weapon in the home), fast became one of the most violent places in the United States.

Suburban America however, never took notice of any of this. To the average whitebread American family, Washington, D.C. may as well have been another planet, or at the least, on another continent, like the war torn African plains or the bullet ravaged streets of Lebanon. Crime, especially urban crime, wasn't something that was discussed in suburban America, unless it was to punctuate a joke about black Americans.

Then in 1981, something terrible happened. Another American president was shot by a determined and deranged madman. The assassination attempt of an arguably beloved American president provided not only the impetus for Sarah Brady to take over Handgun Control Inc, but spawned a series of new laws at both the state and federal level. In time, this would give way to the creation of the Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994.

Still, it took the high profile assassination attempt of a white American president to motivate any real change in the laws. Amazingly, gun violence was raging still in the inner cities, gangs grew even bolder with the introduction of crack cocaine and entire generations of city residents had phrases like 'drive-by' burned into their collective lexicons.

Suburbanite white America however, as it too often does, fell into a slumbering state of security. Aided by gated communities, family Therapists, Prozac and a supreme sense of superiority, gun crime was put back where it belonged - in the inner cities, among black Americans.

On April 20th, 1999, I was working as a Board Operator for an AM radio station in New Hampshire. I had my monitor tuned to the FM dial at the time when I heard the DJ stop the broadcast to tell the audience that 2 gunmen, who turned out to be Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, opened fire on their classmates, killing 12 students and a teacher before turning the guns on themselves. The Columbine massacre was at the time, the Pearl Harbor of my generation and the bodies of the dead had barely grown cold before a revitalized gun control movement began to take shape.

Instantly, the country's 'gun culture' came under fire. The discussions of how many guns is too many guns began to dominate talk radio and indeed, American dinner conversations. Then, on mother's day, 2000, a hundred thousand or so mothers and other anti gun activists 'marched' on Washington, demanding still more gun laws. They cited the Columbine massacre as well as the shootings at a Jewish day care center in CA and other incidents as the reason they marched.

Yet among this crowd of mostly white, suburban 'mothers, very little outrage was paid to the decades of black youths, arguably a few generations, cut down by gunfire and gang violence. While there were a few exceptions, Mother's Day 2000 was largely a reaction to gun violence perpetrated by white kids, on white kids in those perfectly bucolic suburban settings.

Outrage towards the wholesale slaughter of minority kids in the projects, moivated by the insanity of the illicit drug trade? Not so much. That was again, relegated politically as a 'black problem.' Donna Dees-Thomases and other MMM organizers didn't have to say it, it was obvious that they were concerned only with their neighborhoods, their kids and their entitled realities.

Now, flash forward to the terrible events of February, 2011. A likeable Congresswoman is gravely injured by a madman and 6 bystanders, including a federal judge and a 9 year old girl lay dead in a supermarket parking lot. The reaction was as immediate as it was senseless - it wasn't the gunman, whose own life story is that of someone with severe mental illness, but it was that awful Glock, it was those awful 33 round magazines and of course, the awful NRA that was to blame.

The Giffords assassination attempt falls in line with nearly every other motivator for the gun control movement. White people beiing afraid of other white people. Never do they band together and express outrage when its a black kid who gets a bullet to the head. Never do they engage in a silly march when the stray bullet of a Crip or a Blood or a Latin King hits an innocent person. No, the gun control movement only comes about when a threat to the entitled white communities are 'in danger.'

Its not that surprising to any student of history; gun control has always had a racist history. In the United States, slaves were obviously prohibited from owning guns. During reconstruction, several of the Jim Crow statutes barred freed slaves from owing guns. Martin Luther King was even denied a gun permit after his home in Selma, Alabama was firebombed.

Across an ocean and a world apart, Adolph Hitler disarmed the populace, primarily however, German Jews. We all know how history played itself out after that. Slobodan Milosovich did the same with Serbian Muslims, Saddam Hussein to the people of Kurdistan, Northern Iraq.

Gun control is inexorably tied to racism - its very telling even in the modern context, where the true intentions of the movement reside.

I don't get how being a white male makes me "entitled", never got that "advantage" in my career or life. Back on topic, I just don't see how selectively condensed US history in a few paragraphs leads you to believe racism is tied to guns. May be Michael King's shady activities and real character (not what people make him to be) were the reason for denied permit and not his race, eh?

Never do they band together and express outrage when its a black kid who gets a bullet to the head. Never do they engage in a silly march when the stray bullet of a Crip or a Blood or a Latin King hits an innocent person. No, the gun control movement only comes about when a threat to the entitled white communities are 'in danger.'

Gun control is inexorably tied to racism - its very telling even in the modern context, where the true intentions of the movement reside.

I'm sorry, but you're very wrong about this. Its quite evident that the opposite is actually the truth. The same inner city dwellers that you are so falsely claiming to go unnoticed on the gun control activist's radar, are subject to the strictest gun laws in the nation.

Take MA for example, because most of us are familiar with this state who post here. Cities like Boston, and surrounding areas notoriously are far more strict when it comes to gun laws. If what you were claiming were even remotely true, they would be the least strict.

The true intentions of the movement do not reside in racism. They reside in control. Racism is one of the many tools that they use to achieve that goal. That is where you are falling short in your synopsis.

Gun control activists would use the example of the gang bangers if it would get them anywhere, but it doesn't. Because, no signifficant amount of the population values the lives of these thugs, or is really under the impression that they're going to go away if you ban their guns. Instead, the activists glamorize the shootings of people that society does value, which is a far more effective tool.

Its not racism that is the phenomenon here. You are confusing racism with the numbing effect that high amounts of violence and crime in the inner cities has on those who do not live there. The crime and violence becomes the norm and people outside of it go numb to it. The analogy is the way the body physically senses a stimulation. If the stimulation is constant, the brain has a way of ignoring it.

The same thing happens when those who do not live in those areas hear about these stories day in and day out and the concept then becomes that if this is the norm, then it doesn't affect you if you avoid those places. Then, when it happens to someone who is outside of that realm, thats when it is a fresh and sensational wound on society.

Sorry, but not every answer is racism. You make some good observations, but you need to look deeper than skin color to find the cause.

Last edited:
Its not so much racism with respect to guns but racism with respect to the Politicians. What percentage of Politicians in this country are non white? Basically I think the purpose of the post was to show how countless acts of violence on non white people have gone basically ignored (or become throw ins) to the vast call for tougher gun laws when the lives of white people where affected.

Basically I think the purpose of the post was to show how countless acts of violence on non white people have gone basically ignored (or become throw ins) to the vast call for tougher gun laws when the lives of white people where affected.

You're correct, but the post is still wrong. There are racial differences between the inner city and the suburbs, for sure. But thats not the only difference, or even the significant difference that is the cause of this phenomenon. The difference is the crime rate and the fact that it becomes the norm and the misconception that it won't affect you if you just avoid those places. You can almost just ignore it if it were never there at all. Then, when something happens in your backyard, suddenly its brought to the mainstream, because it is out of the norm and it is out of place and shouldn't be happening in an area where there is no crime, and the sky must be falling, and the activists can run with it and convince the soccer moms that they're all in jeopardy of losing their utopia if they don't ban guns before their utopia turns into the norm of crime and violence like the inner city.

my overall point is to criticize the hypocritical nature of it all - I don't see the Million Mom March for example, that deeply involved in communities dominated by minorities. Every once in a rare while, Sarah Brady may point to a shooting in the inner cities, but more often than not, the bulk of gun control 'members' as it were, come from the wealthier neighborhoods - I just find it odd that they only come out of the woodwork when the deceased is a white person.

There was also a very informative article in the March issue of America's First Freedom (the monthly NRA publication) about the racist root of early gun control as it was introduced after the Civil War... with a very telling quote from one judge that the new laws were not intended to be enforced on the white population, but were only a means to disarm the blacks during the KKK era.

Link to the article.

America's First Freedom magazine.

There was also a very informative article in the March issue of America's First Freedom (the monthly NRA publication) about the racist root of early gun control as it was introduced after the Civil War... with a very telling quote from one judge that the new laws were not intended to be enforced on the white population, but were only a means to disarm the blacks during the KKK era.

Link to the article.

America's First Freedom magazine.

THIS a good point, and is one of the educated examples of racism and gun laws. And, if this type of thing is still happening, that is the argument that can be made. But, its not the inner city vs. suburb debate that always seems to spill into a blacks vs. whites BS debate that I personally find to be uneducated and quite ridiculous.

To examine two different populations and to jump to the conclusion that their differences are rooted in race or racism, without examining all of the other REAL factors that contribute to their differences, is racism in and of itself. And, unfortunately, the OP is guilty of this and needs to reexamine the evidence before making these ridiculous claims.

Angel,

I'm afraid that rather than observing the facts, you've started with the assumption that Gun Control is a racism issue, then set out to prove yourself right.

Gun control is a control issue, however it is primarily an issue that is divided by a social/economic and enviornmental condition rather than a racial condition.

Urban dwellers are much more likely to be in favor of supporting expanded gun control due to their exposure to gang, drug and crime driven violence. Politically, they are generally a fairly consistant "base" for supporters of gun control. That, however also marginalizes them, since their support can be counted on.

Rual dwellers are much more likely to be against expanding gun control. Guns are a part of their culture and lives (and sometimes livelihoods). Politically, this group is fairly consistant in its opposition of expanded gun control. That also marginalizes them, since there is little that can be accomplished politically, to garner their support. Rather, gun control supporters try carefully to minimize the ire they draw from this group but carefuly crafting expanding gun control as to minimize the impact on this group.

Suburban middle to upper middle class society are the moderate "swing" votes in the case of gun control. They do not heavly support it, not do not automatically oppose it. The gun control advoates however, quickly latch on and hype gun related events that affect these "swing voters" to garner their support in an attempt to provide the political support for the expansion of gun control.

What you describe as a racial bias in gun control isn't. While at one time, gun control was racially driven, modern gun control is not - it is an attempt to disarm all civilians in order the improve the governments control over them. What you observe as a racial bias in the politcal response of gun control is actually the politcal prejudice of the gun control advocates. They see little value in publicizing gun related violance among inner city minorities because they assume they already have the support of those who would be most affected by incidents.

I really don't know what to make of this article. I think that the best source of the roots of gun control being attributed to racism is, in my mind, well proven by JFPO's excellent research and subsequent publications.

However, I think in modern times (post WWII) it has largely grown from controlling "certain undesirable" people. With the rise of a de facto ruling class and life long politicians, all non ruling class essentially became the "certain undesirable" class.

Couple this with a huge percentage of people refusing to take any responsibility, looking for government to take care of them from cradle to grave. And with this mindset, everything that happens provokes the response from the Sheeple class to have the government "do something" and "fix it!" through the "there outta be a law!" mantra.

Or possibly better put..Gun control is factually proven to be based on keeping (predominantly southern) Blacks from legal access to guns. However, because government liked it so much they decided to apply it to the whole population as a means of control of a full spectrum of people.

Last edited:
John Lott retains information on correlations between race and violent crime in his 3rd edition of "More Guns, Less Crime." But it's not PC to note that most violent crime (homicide in particular) is perpetrated by blacks and most of that against other blacks. Not a unique finding to the US, as the BBC wrote of the same findings in the UK, with 70-80% of violent crime prepetrated by balcks and 70-80% of that crime against other blacks.

In the late '80s & early '90s the black civil rights leaders were speaking up about black-on-black crime, but toned it down when the press didn't play the story as planned. So then the stories drifted towards the predominance of blacks in prisons and such.

Crime and violence is indeed about race, but less so about racism. It's not a black problem, it's not a hispanic problem, it's not a white problem - it's society's problem. That siad, Lott does indicate that the most intensive drops in crime occur in high population density, inner-city areas when CCW is enabled. So the solution is blind to race, creed or ethnicity. Let good guys have guns and the bad guys lose.

Crime and violence is indeed about race, but less so about racism. It's not a black problem, it's not a hispanic problem, it's not a white problem - it's society's problem. That siad, Lott does indicate that the most intensive drops in crime occur in high population density, inner-city areas when CCW is enabled. So the solution is blind to race, creed or ethnicity. Let good guys have guns and the bad guys lose.

+1 Gun Control has always been a political agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
People respond to issues that affect people that live like them and look like them, and ignore issues which affect other communities and people who don't look like them. This is nothing new. Is there some racism inherent in it? Sure, the lack of concern for the violence in the inner cities is somewhat racist.

However, you also have to take a look at inner city communities in and of themselves. Inner cities are ostensibly predominantly black and latino...so where is the huge gun control movement coming out of that culture? I don't see it. Those communities have also failed to take a serious interest in their *own* problems, by and large. Racism may play some role in explaining why the person from Lexington doesn't really concern themselves too much with violence in Mattapan....but...what would the reason be for the lack of concern over that same violence from the residents of Mattapan?

Don't get me wrong, I do see people living in inner cities taking an interest in their community. Back in the late 90's/early 2000's I was on a big local hiphop jag and wound up going to a few rallies and investigating some of the organizations that are doing positive work in those areas. However, those organizations are in the minority and I do not see any evidence of a strong desire for gun control among them. In fact I see quite the opposite, since most people involved with those movements had little faith in the government and a strong desire to be able to defend themselves against it.

I see some evidence of latent racism in what you are talking about but, honestly, it's more just ignorance and a lack of concern for what is not happening outside your front door. I don't really think you have a very strong point here.

This is about politically powerful vs. politically weak, which is about socio-economic factors not race, other than incidentally. It is also Psych 101 in-group/out-group dynamics.

No one cares much politically about the very poor politically because they can't be relied on to vote, can't win you political friends and are considered "other" by a large majority of voters who WILL do both of those things. SO yes, things which affect primarily the ghetto don't get a lot of attention until they affect the rest of us because action takes will and there isn't a lot there.

SO if you're a gun-control person, you don't point to crime in the ghetto, whihc has essentially zero effect on the voter base as a reason to pass new laws. Instead you point to crime that affects "us," with "us" being middle-class suburbanites.

There are a lot of racial politics being played in this country from both sides of the political spectrum. The Conservatives use racist dog-whistles to gin up hysteria among whites and Liberals use perpetual victimhood to gin up sympathy and "compassion" from their base.

But gun control is about irrational fear of guns and a lack of grasp of rights, not race. I fully agree that the negative effects of gun control have a massively disproportionate effect on people in the inner-city, who are also vastly disproportionately brown. But that's an effect, not a cause.

The cause is irrational fear, plain and simple.

People respond to issues that affect people that live like them and look like them, and ignore issues which affect other communities and people who don't look like them. This is nothing new. Is there some racism inherent in it? Sure, the lack of concern for the violence in the inner cities is somewhat racist.

I think the assumption that the disconnection between Rural, Sub-urban, Urban and "Inner-city" societies is racially biased is in-correct. I do not believe a white sub-urban home owner looks as inner city violent crime as a "Black" problem that doesn't affect them because they're white.

Rather, I believe, it's a social & economic disconnect. The Sub-Urban home owner disassociates with the inner-city gun violence, because they see it as an "Inner City" problem, which doesn't affect them because they consider themselves far removed from the "inner-city" and the same disassociation occurs regardless of race.

If you talked to middle to upper middle class black sub-urban home owners, I think you'd find a similar disconnection to inner city black violance issues as his white, hispanic, indian or asian neighbor. Just as I believe you'd find a lack of outrage against violent crime against white residents of inner city families.

Suburban mothers marched on Washington and demanded gun control after Columbine because the violence occurred in THEIR community. They were affected, and, although their outrage toward the firearms culture was misdirected, they sought to implement a change in policy that they believed would protect their community. That is the responsibility of any community; to look out for their own interests.

The fact that there is comparatively less outrage over urban violence is not, in any way, an indication of racism. Such things are far, far more common there than in suburbia. We have come to expect it because statistics tell us that poor urbanites are far more likely to kill one another than other groups.

This is a socio-economic issue, not an issue of race. Statistically speaking, poor people commit violent crimes, and the middle class do not in any substantial way. Tying this to race falsely assigns blame and trivializes the issue of racism, which is every bit as offensive as racism itself.

Last edited:
BTW, IBTL. [popcorn]

original_image.png

Suburbanite white America however, as it too often does, fell into a slumbering state of security. Aided by gated communities, family Therapists, Prozac and a supreme sense of superiority, gun crime was put back where it belonged - in the inner cities, among black Americans.

You are a moron. Also a racist comment. Those assassination attempts weren't committed with "illegal" guns. The shootings in the "hood" how many of them are legal gun owners?

Listen for the pop.....

That would be your head coming out of your ass, maybe then you will understand my point.

Last edited:
I honestly was not trying to raise anyone's ire - so if I came at this from the wrong angle, I do apologize. What I was trying to point out, and likely failed in the attempt, was that the mainstream gun control movement seems to mobilize most often when the victim is white and when the crime occurs in a well-off neighborhood.

Littleton, CO is a fairly wealthy neighborhood and in the year after the Columbine massacre, the Million Mom March thrust itself into the national consciousness. What I apparently screwed up was my attempt to link them, their demographic and their intent to respond only to threats that affect them and let's face it - I was actually IN DC when that was going on, it was a fairly lily-white crowd. I make this observation not to appear racist but to illustrate tha the MMM and groups like it only get 'outraged' when its dead white folks in the setting they previously thought was safe - which to me, was more of an attack on a certain complacent worldview that comes only with arrogance and yeah, a sense that violence is more of an urban reality.

They say a comic who has to explain his jokes isn't a comic at all. So too it appears for writers. Thanks for the feedback.

Another thought to consider about the current support for the anti-gun movement is that they tend to have a feel-good attitude to life. Because of this, they firmly believe that the tools are the reason for the violence. And while the inner-city gang fails to evoke sufficient sympathy for gun control measures, they jump to their feet when a tragedy like Columbine or the Giffords attack occur as a route to their long-term goal of reducing and eliminating access to guns. They correctly realize that gun criminals won't obey gun laws, but they believe that reducing access to guns for everyone will EVENTUALLY make life better for the inner cities, allowing them to "just get along". What they fail to allow for is the fact that evil exists, and that simply removing ONE of the tools that criminals use to perpetrate their violence willl NOT eliminate the evil drive to commit the crime.

If you talked to middle to upper middle class black sub-urban home owners, I think you'd find a similar disconnection to inner city black violance issues as his white, hispanic, indian or asian neighbor. Just as I believe you'd find a lack of outrage against violent crime against white residents of inner city families.

I don't think you're wrong at all, but I do think race probably plays in to it to a degree. To what degree...who knows and honestly it's not that important.

... and the third post of the same message from my cell phone... and then I wised up!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom