Rabies Protection

BigGreen2000

NES Member
For those of you who hunt fox, coyote, raccoons, etc: How do you protect against rabies? I know the obvious is that the animal may behave erratically, but I suppose that may not always be reliable .

I trap and have had one or two scares that ended up being nothing. I am not a doctor however after talking with the state epidemiologist rabies is a pretty weak virus. The danger is in the saliva. Claws can be a problem if they locked them. However the virus dies super quick on air contact and even quicker with water. There's other zoonotic diseases that are easier to catch and can cause harm. Wear nitrile gloves, wash hands after. If you somehow scratch yourself on a tooth or a claw you need to reach out to the epidemiologist and may need the vaccine. Good news the shot is only 4 shots (it used to be more) and if you get exposed again there is less shots you need. Also pro tip if you can avoid destroying the brain if there is a problem you can send the skull of for analysis to see if the animal in fact had rabies or was just grumpy.

Semi extreme, but you could get vaccinated for pre exposure. I got a three shot series before going to Iraq. Booster or titers reccomended every two years.

Only handle/clean/skin a COLD carcass. As stated above, the rabies virus is very fragile and will die quickly on or within a COLD carcass.

If hunting in the winter, hang your kill (using gloves and minimal exposure) up in a tree away from scavengers overnight......the colder the better.

A pre tied large hook with some paracord would work well.

Last edited:
Semi extreme, but you could get vaccinated for pre exposure. I got a three shot series before going to Iraq. Booster or titers reccomended every two years.
Thank you! By the way, where in Grafton and Coos County are you? That used to me my old stomping ground .. .

I did the vaccine. But it only lasts a few years. Boosters are not bad. Just costs a ton of $$ If you have horse doctor level insurance coverage.

Back
Top Bottom