• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rabbit hunting

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Rabbit hunting is something that sounds fun, but I've never done it.

I'd be grateful if someone can give me a rabbit-hunting 101, what to do, when, where, what guns etc. I don't have any dogs, and unfortunately I live in Massachusetts. Any pointers to get going on this would be awesome.

Rabbit hunting is something that sounds fun, but I've never done it.

I'd be grateful if someone can give me a rabbit-hunting 101, what to do, when, where, what guns etc. I don't have any dogs, and unfortunately I live in Massachusetts. Any pointers to get going on this would be awesome.

I've had success in finding cottontails in Massachusetts. Flushed 2 this fall so far.......but missed em lol. They are fast. Powerlines with thick brush are a good place to look for them. Huntt em early or late. Both times I've flushed em was just after sunrise and at last light. Push through the thick shit with a 12 or 20 gauge high brass number 4 to 6 shot loads and a mod or IC choke. Step on any piles of vegetation you find......and be ready! Always be ready to shoot. Both of my missed shots were because I was not ready! They are rocket fast when they flush out.

I hunt show shoe hare in Maine each winter with a guide and beagles......with beagles you have time to get ready cuz you hear the dogs getting closer. Rabbits without dogs......you gotta be ready all the time and shoot quick!

I'm heading out at first light tomorrow morning where I have flushed the two so far and see if I can connect with one.

Yes it's fun.....but a shit load of hard work without dogs. You get winded quick pushing through the thickets.....but that's where the rabbits are.

Last edited:
They are wascally aren't they.

Yes they are. And without a dog it's not easy! Hard work and have to be alert all the time. I'm hoping tomorrow I can actually connect some #4 shot to one!

You guys need a dog lol. I know Whacko has had a blast hunting snowshoe in Maine.

I knew a guy in franklin ma that must've had five of them. I think the rule is you have to have several, like it or not. I remember hunting Crane WMA a long time ago and these guys were hunting rabbit with Portuguese Podengo Pequenos. Quite the sight. They must've had ~nine on the ground at once.

I would like to try to hunt them someday. Never had hossenfeffer.

Last edited:
I use a Ruger Single Six in .22 WMR. I hunt with a buddy, and we just walk through the thick laurel and brush looking for tracks, (when there's snow on the ground), and droppings. Once we find these signs it's usually not long before we flush one or more out. They don't tend to run far and they do tend to circle. So once I flush one I normally just freeze and wait for it to circle around and stoot.
I'm limited to about 20 yards or less with my handgun if I want to be sure I get a clean, one shot kill, and there have been countless occasions where I wished I had brought a long gun instead. But there's just something I like about hunting the critters with my revolver.

Last edited:
You guys need a dog lol. I know Whacko has had a blast hunting snowshoe in Maine.

I knew a guy in franklin ma that must've had five of them. I think the rule is you have to have several, like it or not. I remember hunting Crane WMA a long time ago and these guys were hunting rabbit with Portuguese Podengo Pequenos. Quite the sight. They must've had ~nine on the ground at once.

I would like to try to hunt them someday. Never had hossenfeffer.

Snowshoe hare hunting is the most fun I've ever had with my gun. [smile]

I use a Ruger Single Six in .22 WMR. I hunt with a buddy, and we just walk through the thick laurel and brush looking for tracks, (when there's snow on the ground), and droppings. Once we find these signs it's usually not long before we flush one or more out. They don't tend to run far and they do tend to circle. So once I flush one I normally just freeze and wait for it to circle around and stoot.
I'm limited to about 20 yards or less with my handgun if I want to be sure I get a clean, one shot kill, and there have been countless occasions where I wished I had brought a long gun instead. But there's just something I like about hunting the critters with my revolver.

In zones 1-9 I carry a Ruger single 10 22lr as a "backup" to my shotgun when I'm squirrel hunting. Comes in handy if you wound one.......rather than double tap with the shotgun and ruining the meat just draw and put em out with a headshot. I use 22 shorts. There is something about a single action revolver in a belt holster for small game hunting.

Without a dog I like .22LR subsonic. Know your drops out to 100yd and employ your sling properly. If you miss with a supersonic, you will not get a second shot. With a subsonic you will.

Without a dog I like .22LR subsonic. Know your drops out to 100yd and employ your sling properly. If you miss with a supersonic, you will not get a second shot. With a subsonic you will.

Awesome advice never thought of that. If your in an open line of sight field edge that's an awesome tactic.

Where I'm hunting em though.......shotgun for sure.......they ain't holding still coming out of that brush!

Back
Top Bottom