• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rabbit hunting in zones 9/10?

Haven't posted here in a while. Just recently got into hunting and am targeting small game. Does anyone here know the best bet for finding rabbits this time of year? I've only hunted Wayne F Macullum WMA in westborough so far. I've found rabbit tracks and a few rabbit holes but haven't managed to bump one. I live in the Hopkinton area but I am willing to make a trek to bag one. And no, I do not have a hound.

my backyard.. about 7-10pm every night.. I practically lose an arm when I open the door to let the dogs out and they pull the leash and me to get the rabbits.
Thats the thing. I see them everyone in my backyard and around town but wherever I can take a legal shot, NOTHING.

at first I told the wife... get my pellet rifle.. NOOOO.. they're so cute.. now after 8 months of the dogs pulling her arm off, she's ready for rabbit stew.

Haven't posted here in a while. Just recently got into hunting and am targeting small game. Does anyone here know the best bet for finding rabbits this time of year? I've only hunted Wayne F Macullum WMA in westborough so far. I've found rabbit tracks and a few rabbit holes but haven't managed to bump one. I live in the Hopkinton area but I am willing to make a trek to bag one. And no, I do not have a hound.
Those zones had some good areas back in the 90's, I had Beagles but everything has been developed. There still some bunnies at Martin Burns if you have a dog, best bet is the back road at the power lines, Beagle club property abutts and most escape. Southern NH has some good spots you can still stir them up wihout a dog.

Those zones had some good areas back in the 90's, I had Beagles but everything has been developed. There still some bunnies at Martin Burns if you have a dog, best bet is the back road at the power lines, Beagle club property abutts and most escape. Southern NH has some good spots you can still stir them up wihout a dog.
Martin Burns you say? It's a little out of my way but maybe I'll check it out. Too bad I can't find #11 percussion caps for the life of me. Otherwise, I'd get my muzzle loader stamp and try for a deer.

Martin Burns you say? It's a little out of my way but maybe I'll check it out. Too bad I can't find #11 percussion caps for the life of me. Otherwise, I'd get my muzzle loader stamp and try for a deer.
I'm 95% sure Bob's Gun & Archery in Webster had #11's this morning. I'm 5% sure they may have been #10's...I can't quite remember....

Good luck! I was there yesterday trying to get one with my ML

I would suggest calling R&R Sports in Belchertown but you didn’t fill out your profile so I can only guess where you are.

Ya, the Westboro WMA gets worked pretty hard this time of year for rabbits. Guys with those little yippy terrier pups hit that area pretty hard.
How about squirrels?

Ya, the Westboro WMA gets worked pretty hard this time of year for rabbits. Guys with those little yippy terrier pups hit that area pretty hard.
How about squirrels?
Managed to get 1 squirrel a couple days before shotgun deer started. Been out once this morning and saw nothing but song birds. Hiked all over the property. Starting to think I got the only squirrel in the whole damn forrest lol.

This will probably sound stupid but bear with this total hunting n00b...

I walked around McCallum a few weeks ago and saw a bunch of squirrels. When you guys hunt there, do you just... walk off into the woods on a non-Sunday with a .22 or 12ga, try to not shoot towards marked walking/hiking trails, and don't shoot at orange? I have this fear that I'll inadvertently end up doing something dumb, dangerous, or illegal so drop some knowledge on me!

(Yes, I realize that I missed the season)

I hunt there sometimes and that’s pretty much the drill. It’s very tough these days. Picked clean by all the stocked pheasant hunters.

I will suggest you get a rangefinder for McCallum and any other tight spots you are considering hunting. I make 110% sure that I am beyond 150’ from the road and 500’ from any occupied dwelling. It takes the guesswork out and allows me a way to prove it on the spot if needed, although I’ve never been bothered by a game warden there.

This will probably sound stupid but bear with this total hunting n00b...

I walked around McCallum a few weeks ago and saw a bunch of squirrels. When you guys hunt there, do you just... walk off into the woods on a non-Sunday with a .22 or 12ga, try to not shoot towards marked walking/hiking trails, and don't shoot at orange? I have this fear that I'll inadvertently end up doing something dumb, dangerous, or illegal so drop some knowledge on me!

(Yes, I realize that I missed the season)
Yes. Utilizing a mapping app you can measure how far you are from a house even when you can’t see it. I like OnX.

I prefer using a .22, but limit myself to not take skylined shots. Wait for the squirrel to be backed by the tree or on the ground. Just know what behind where you’re shooting.

Back
Top Bottom