• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

r700 alternatives

I really like the Remington model 700 but its a little expensive for me. Are there any rifles that are of a similar quality and accuracy but cheaper that people would recommend or should I just go for the 700/similarly priced rifle. This purchase is planned for a .308 75% target 25% hunting rifle

i was looking at the winchester model 70, i love the bolt and the action. Its really ergonomic, but i cant say much about its accuracy, but the R700 probobly is a better choice for target. The lower level model 70's are a little cheaper than R700's ( i think ), and i got some advice from some guys on my thread i posted a few weeks ago. They said that most out-of-the-box rifles wont get much better than 2 MOA at 400-600 yards. You might as well save up for the r700 because it has more of a reputation in the LEO and military world than the model 70.

The nice thing with the savage is they come with a detachable magazine. With the Remington to change the bottom metal and get a magazine is going to cost you $250 or more. The bolt on the savage wasn't bad I just liked the 700 better. It all comes down to personal preference and compromise.

For a single shot, you can check out the NEF rifles. They are interchangeable, so you can buy different barrels.

is there a rifle that is between a tactical heavy barrel and the thin barreled hunting barrels? I was thinking about the Savage 10 FCM Scout
or should I go for the full heavy barrel tactical and get myself a nice little .243 for deer?

Back
Top Bottom