R700 .308 to 6.5CM

I have been thinking of selling my R700 LTR in .308 win to fund buying something in 6.5CM for at least a year but starting thinking about just re barreling it. It’s got very limited rounds through it, I have already had some action work done... mag well and so on. I love the rifle just tired of .308. I want something that will shoot flatter. I started looking at barrels but there are so many manufacturers to choose from. I am not looking to spend $1500 on a barrel but also not looking for a blemish cheap-o bargain barrel. I would like to try to keep the weight down so had looked at some of the carbon wrapped barrels but that is something I have zero experience with. Just looking for some input.

Not looking to start a it’s not worth it debate or looking for stuff like “just buy a Savage or Ruger” or whatever. I am still not set on going this direction but am leading that way.

Yes, the Creedmoor seems to be the current favorite, but don't overlook 6.5x55mm, .260 Remington or even 7mm-08 Remington. Seems to me the 700 has been chambered in these calibers at one time or another. The Swede might be too long for the .308 action, however; won't fit into the magazine well, at least.
Yes, disregard the 6.5x55mm; depending on manufacturer, the rim of the case won't be compatible to your .308 bolt. either.

Last edited:
As far as 6.8 goes I would like something faster and flater. I could see maybe owing something in 6.8 someday because it does seem like an interesting round but that’s for another time.

The reason is I want it. I have multiple gunz in .308 and .30-06 and want something flatter shooting. I don’t want to get into .338 or anything like that. I don’t shoot only in MA, and would like to have the ability to shoot over say 600 in time. I understand.308 and even .223 can get there but that isn’t what I am looking for. I am not trying to justify it to myself, my wife, or anyone else. Not trying to sound like a dick but that’s kind of like saying why shoot .45 when 9mm will do.

I highly recommend 6.5 Creedmoor. For those who might criticize and say it's just the flavor of the day- there's a reason it has really taken off. It's simply a very versatile caliber with outstanding ballistics. There is now a huge selection of match and hunting ammo available from numerous sources, including local Mass. I can get close to 1/2 MOA out of a self built gas gun, so you can do as well or better with a decent barrel on that Remington bolt action.

Most loads for 6.5 CM will stay supersonic beyond 1,000 yards. Unless you load that .308 hot with special high BC projectiles, it's going to go transonic ~900 yards, give or take.

6mm Creedmoor is even flatter shooting, but you are not going to find it readily available. If you are an avid reloader, maybe that's not an issue. 6.5 CM already has fairly mild recoil. The 6mm has a little less recoil plus you pick up a little extra speed.

I'm a fan of Krieger barrels, but there are a few choices of equal or better quality. If you don't mind spending the money, Proof Research makes great carbon fiber barrels. I'd go with chrome moly or stainless, but nothing wrong with carbon fiber if that's what you want and don't mind paying the big premium.

Flat = fast, at least if you don't have to worry about muzzle velocity limitations and don't care about barrel life. Take a relatively light bullet and stick it on a case full of a ton of powder; that sucker will be moving 4,000+ FPS. Gravity won't have much of a chance to do it's thing. They tend to eat barrels though so there is that.

If you want something relatively fast and flat (at least compared to .308) but that also has decent barrel life, I would lean toward one of the various 6mm cartridges that are out there.

I probably wouldn't re-barrel just for the sake of switching calibers though. If you shoot out the .308 and need a new barrel anyway that's one thing. To swap about a perfectly good barrel just to save a few clicks on your elevation knob seems a bit of a waste but that's just me.

Thanks guys, that is exactly the kind of input I am looking for and exactly why I am interested in the round.

As far as re- barreling a gun with a barrel on it that’s still good to go I started thinking about doing the re- barrel because I do really like the rifle but I don’t shoot it. I usually shoot my M1A with irons and sometimes an AR10. The only thing I don’t really love about the rifle is the caliber. I also have a couple hunting rifles in .308 and .30-06 so the LTR just sits in the safe... sad and lonely and longing for attention.

Hey, that AR-10 is just a quick DIY project away from becoming 6.5 or 6mm Creedmoor. It's an easy bolt on job.

FYI, most of your 6.5 CM loads are going to be ~2700 to 2900 fps. You're not going to burn out a barrel with that. 4000 fps? With what- some sort of ultra-mag wildcat? LOL, not going to happen w/ 6 CM or 6.5 CM. Easy to break 3100 fps, but dropping way back in weight leads you into short stubby projectiles with puny BC's.

That is true about the AR10 but I really want it in a bolt gun. I love my AR’s but am getting burnt out on them. I will never get rid of them, at least while I live in this god forsaken state and they are fun and accurate but I am looking for a bolt action.

FYI, most of your 6.5 CM loads are going to be ~2700 to 2900 fps. You're not going to burn out a barrel with that. 4000 fps? With what- some sort of ultra-mag wildcat? LOL, not going to happen w/ 6 CM or 6.5 CM. Easy to break 3100 fps, but dropping way back in weight leads you into short stubby projectiles with puny BC's.

Actually I was thinking something like .22-250 with a very light bullet. If the OP's only goal is to shoot flat it's not going to get much flatter than that. Have a good smith on speed dial for those barrel changes though.

Barrel life is pretty much the same (close enough) with 6 CM and 6.5 CM. The 6mm version will shoot a bit flatter. There are a ton of other 6mm choices out there too, 6x47 Lapua, 6XC, 6 Dasher. Even the good old .243 Winchester. I'm sort of partial to 6XC but they're all good cartridges.

Actually I was thinking something like .22-250 with a very light bullet. If the OP's only goal is to shoot flat it's not going to get much flatter than that. Have a good smith on speed dial for those barrel changes though.

Barrel life is pretty much the same (close enough) with 6 CM and 6.5 CM. The 6mm version will shoot a bit flatter. There are a ton of other 6mm choices out there too, 6x47 Lapua, 6XC, 6 Dasher. Even the good old .243 Winchester. I'm sort of partial to 6XC but they're all good cartridges.

.22-250- yep, that will get there quickly! Maybe 6 CM is picking up in popularity but I'd almost go with .243 for availability. The 6mm family should be flatter, but I still like the 6.5 CM for versatility- not a bad hunting round if that's a possibility.

If you want to do it yourself on the 700, look at the rem-age barrels from Northland shooters supply.

It is a Savage style barrel nut system, so you can set your headspace without having to turn a shoulder on the barrel.

Only tools you need are headspace gages, barrel nut wrench, action wrench and a torque wrench.

If you are in southeast ma, I have access to the tools at my shop.

any interest in a rem 700 in 300 RUM? sure you could get 150s cooking along at 3400ish ?

Thanks for the offer Steve, if I have any issues I will let you know. I have a barrel wrench just need the action wrench/ vice but I have a mill and plenty of stock so I will probably just make one. There obviously isn’t much to them. Making the tools is half the fun of it and another reason why I would prefer to re-barrel as opposed to just buy something.

any interest in a rem 700 in 300 RUM? sure you could get 150s cooking along at 3400ish ?

I think I am good lol. I just sold a 7mm RUM that my dad left to me. Absolutely zero interest in stuff that large. I am boarder-line midget at 5’4” 135lbs and get no enjoyment out of that stuff. It’s fun to shoot a couple rounds of big stuff here and there but I am too small and have too many spine issues to do it regularly.

I looked more at barrels last night. I can’t find a whole lot for carbon wrapped barrels. Christensen and one other (drawing a blank) were the only two names I recognized. Going to keep looking, there are tons for AR’s just not seeing a lot for the 700. I ideally want something in the 20-22” range. I know people are probably going to say go longer but looking at the ballistics it doesn’t loose very much velocity even down to 16”.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Steve, if I have any issues I will let you know. I have a barrel wrench just need the action wrench/ vice but I have a mill and plenty of stock so I will probably just make one. There obviously isn’t much to them. Making the tools is half the fun of it and another reason why I would prefer to re-barrel as opposed to just buy something.

I think I am good lol. I just sold a 7mm RUM that my dad left to me. Absolutely zero interest in stuff that large. I am boarder-line midget at 5’4” 135lbs and get no enjoyment out of that stuff. It’s fun to shoot a couple rounds of big stuff here and there but I am too small and have too many spine issues to do it regularly.

I looked more at barrels last night. I can’t find a whole lot for carbon wrapped barrels. Christensen and one other (drawing a blank) were the only two names I recognized. Going to keep looking, there are tons for AR’s just not seeing a lot for the 700. I ideally want something in the 20-22” range. I know people are probably going to say go longer but looking at the ballistics it doesn’t loose very much velocity even down to 16”.

Proof Research is the big one for Carbon Fiber wrapped barrels

Yes that was the other I couldn’t think of and what I will most likely go for. I need to give them a call, they are back ordered just about everywhere I can find them. Going to see if they might have a timeline and if you can order directly from them.

At the ranges most people shoot at in MA, (100-600 yards), there is no reason to change...

^this. to me 308 is a superior round until one starts moving past 700 yards. inside 600 yards I see no point to a 6.5 CM. then again, it sounds like you just want to get into the 6.5 CM chambering in which case I say go for it why not. not every project needs to be 100% purpose driven. would caution how much $$ goes into a R700. if it's just a rebareling that shouldn't be crazy expensive. but if going with a chassis, bolt work, so forth before you know it we've got $2k into the thing.

FWIW I have a Bergara LRP elite in 308 (spanish R700 clone) and absolutely love it. i contemplated going 6.5 CM instead of staying in 308 and for the usual 300 yard shooting I am glad I stuck with the 308. I like the way it really shwacks the steel at 300 yards. feels more authoritative than a 6.5. the 6.5 is also a sweet round. you really can't go wrong, just make sure you're having fun with your project gun!

I won’t have to strip any ammo, I plan on having enough [devil]
[mg]

Who says there will be any left after I'm done? [devil][devil]

un_blue_helmet.jpg

(Hey Maura, it's a joke...)

Well my money I save for fun stuff turned into money spent on healthy exercise stuff :(. Went from [mg]to this thing with 2 wheels and 2 pedals that you ride and sweat on.

Back
Top Bottom