• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

R16 max limit for 6.5CM

paul73

NES Member
kinda scratching my head as again 3 different sources give 3 different pictures.
i want to experiment with the load for my 6.5cm gas guns, and trying to find a relevant reference of what the max load there should be for R16.
it is not a commonly listed powder for 6.5CM, but usually is fairly close to h4350 numbers. burn rate is almost same.

and here fun begins. the alliant mother site for the powder is very liberate - says pour as much as you want.
6.5 CreedmoorSierra 140 gr SBTHornady2.6424CCI 200Reloder 1643.82,813

so almost 44 gr of powder. holy shit, i know it is more than the body of that brass can fit. so they want me to fill it up baby. ok.

hornady guide for eldx is more realistic - says max is 41.3gr. as i load 41.8gr for my bolt gun, i know it is close to the limit there. nosler rdf guide also maxes out at 41.5.
which makes 43.8 a bit of a, well, much.

of course i gonna play it safe and i know how to see signs of overpressure - but, just curious to ask up front - that would be a know max load for a gas gun, on H4350 or R16 powders on a 140gr bullet?

I started diing 6.5 a few weeks ago, couldn't find 4350 lically so i looked into R16 and fiund a bunch of guys oin firums recommending against it.

Ymmv good luck lemme know if you figure it out

I started diing 6.5 a few weeks ago, couldn't find 4350 lically so i looked into R16 and fiund a bunch of guys oin firums recommending against it.

Bs about not liking r16. I get excellent results with it is 24” bolt gun. And r16 is more stable than 4350.
Some time ago h4350 was way more difficult to buy so I stocked on r16. This year 4350 was available.

I stick to r16. Works fine for me.

What I want now is a load for short gas gun, as it does barely 2500 fps on a load for 24” bolt gun and I want Nosler rdf there instead of eldx

Bs about not liking r16. I get excellent results with it is 24” bolt gun. And r16 is more stable than 4350.
Some time ago h4350 was way more difficult to buy so I stocked on r16. This year 4350 was available.

I stick to r16. Works fine for me.

What I want now is a load for short gas gun, as it does barely 2500 fps on a load for 24” bolt gun and I want Nosler rdf there instead of eldx
Have you tried staball powder yet? You have to fill the case, but it's very consistent with good velocity.

you aren’t kidding about ‘pour as much as you want’, I can’t speak to 16 but look at these numbers for 26, literally an 8” drop tube to pack it in there IMG_6238.jpeg

Coincidentally if you’re looking for maximum speed that’s what I recommend.

The disclaimer being that I’m not responsible for anyone who tries the above loads, don’t do it

you aren’t kidding about ‘pour as much as you want’, I can’t speak to 16 but look at these numbers for 26, literally an 8” drop tube to pack it in thereView attachment 815314

Coincidentally if you’re looking for maximum speed that’s what I recommend.

The disclaimer being that I’m not responsible for anyone who tries the above loads, don’t do it
6.5CM is very versatile in regard of what powders people use. R15, R16, R17, R23, R26, H4350, 4451 - i think somebody even used varget.
will see what i will be able to cook up for that faxon 16" barrel, as i like that build very much, just placed arken elp4 on it as well.

the thing with that short barrel is - from 41.8gr load on nosler rdf the speed was actually not bad - around 2590.
i am not confident if that was a good number or correct session, though.

overall - i would want to get closer to 2700 or so, and make it a hog rig. it is a nice very light ar10 build, if i will find a load recipe for at least 2/3 moa or 1/2moa - it is all i want there.
those 140gr nosler rdf seem to perform well and last batch of them i got for $24 per 100. and they show up quite regularly.
1699625527595.png

Last edited:
Understood. I only switched because R16 was unavailable for so long.
this summer was good for powders and even h4350 was several times at the valley in #8 jugs, and at a reasonably mid-low $300 price - i looked at it may be 2-3 times, but did not get any anyway. maybe it was a mistake, dunno, but i have 3 jugs of r16, so, will use what i got.

Last edited:
this summer was good for powders and even h4350 was several times at the valley in #8 jugs, and at a reasonably mid-low $300 price - i looked at it may be 2-3 times, but did not get any anyway. maybe it was a mistake, dunno, but i have 3 jugs of r16, so, will use what i got.
I grabbed an 8 pounder of staball when everything dried up. Worked good, bought a couple more. So, I'm locked into that powder now for a bit. 16 was one of our favorites previously, more so than 4350.

I grabbed an 8 pounder of staball when everything dried up. Worked good, bought a couple more. So, I'm locked into that powder now for a bit. 16 was one of our favorites previously, more so than 4350.
purely from the physics of the process i do not believe into any prejudice of what powder may or may not work for what load.
any powder should be workable, as burn rate and bullet weight will have to lock into some node, just gonna take some time to sort it out. anything can work.

Bass Pro and Cabelas have some.

Back
Top Bottom