• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

R.I.P. RUGER LC9S

GLOCK-22

NES Member
Got a call from Davidsons and was told Ruger will not be making the LC9S any more and replaced it with the EC9S in my opinion is cheap compared to the LC9S.

If you where thinking of getting one go out and get one before there all sold out and you can't find them anywhere and end up paying way to mush.

If I am wrong and Ruger is still going to make the LC9S please let me know.

Last edited:
my guess is that ruger has another single stack in the works. the EC9s is also cheaper for them to produce. it's the same gun with fixed sights. whatever.

The LC9S is the gun they should have made in the beginning. It has one of the best triggers in its class and much rather have 9mm than 9mm Kurz. I don't know how much of a loss the replaceable sights are but LC9S ended a long standing love affair with the PP and PPK-PPK/S family for me. One of the rare examples of polymers pistols better for my use than the old school Heavy Metal.

I agree
I have one
I think it's the best gun in it's class.
Unlike a shield that need a trigger job the LC9S has an excellent trigger out the box.

I love mine, but I would have bought the EC9 instead if it was available.

I’m a real fan of the stuff coming out of Ruger. I’ve been tempted twice to trade my 1911 for an SR9C, but keep failing to pull the trigger. Pun intended.

my guess is that ruger has another single stack in the works. the EC9s is also cheaper for them to produce. it's the same gun with fixed sights. whatever.
Not really sure what they can do to improve on the LC9s. Unless they're going to copy the Sig P365 and put 10 rounds in the magazine and actually make it function properly. If all Ruger is going to do is basically make the next LC9s like an up scaled LCP II, I don't see how that's much of an improvement.

Just curiosity but why specifically do you hate that f'ing thing?

1. Slide lock not slide release.
2. My finger would pinch between the grip and the floor plate every shot.
3. Pinched my thumb knuckle something fierce (not slide bite)
4. Needed tools for take down
5. Intermittent failure to feed and fire
6. Tiny ass sights
7. Those tiny ass sights were plastic
8. After about 200 rounds the bluing on the barrel had worn to a place that surpasses my 2k+ round walther. Half the bluing had rubbed off the chamber by the time I sold it- and like I said I didn't own it long (2 months)

The gun had its perks, but imo, it was a piece of garbage. I sold it, picked up a G43 with tritium sights and don't regret a thing other than cosmetics.

1. Slide lock not slide release.
2. My finger would pinch between the grip and the floor plate every shot.
3. Pinched my thumb knuckle something fierce (not slide bite)
4. Needed tools for take down
5. Intermittent failure to feed and fire
6. Tiny ass sights
7. Those tiny ass sights were plastic
8. After about 200 rounds the bluing on the barrel had worn to a place that surpasses my 2k+ round walther. Half the bluing had rubbed off the chamber by the time I sold it- and like I said I didn't own it long (2 months)

The gun had its perks, but imo, it was a piece of garbage. I sold it, picked up a G43 with tritium sights and don't regret a thing other than cosmetics.

If you have the LC9 (not S), you can add,
9 Trigger that's as heavy as f*ck too

I have an LC9 and an S. The trigger on the S is much better. Both have eaten a lot of different ammo with no failures.

I love my LC9s. I shoot it way better than any .380 I have tried.
I have also seen on-lines prices for the EC9s going for $219, which is $80 less than what the LC9s is going for now.

As a retailer, I originally saw the LC9s come in at $429, but quickly leveled at $379. I think we cleared the last ones out for $329. It failed as a competitor to the Shield, G43, and XDS.

But take a few dollars of cost out, and Ruger can still make a good gross margin at the mainstream price of $249. While the LC9s failed punching above its weight, the EC9 should dominate against the Taurus and other cheap pistols. I can't imagine anyone unless he is under severe budget constraints preferring either of the 9mm Tauruses over an EC9.

Got a call from Davidsons and was told Ruger will not be making the LC9S any more and replaced it with the EC9S in my opinion is cheap compared to the LC9S.

If you where thinking of getting one go out and get one before there all sold out and you can't find them anywhere and end up paying way to mush.

If I am wrong and Ruger is still going to make the LC9S please let me know.

This is why the LC9S has been discounted from the distributors for the last month+ and why there has been a glut of them forsale on gunbroker and in free states. Lower dealer cost results in more available as every dealer thinks they can make more profit per gun.

And why would you do business with Davidsons? They charge $15 shipping on every order and outside commodity guns, their prices are higher than the big distributors? They are also ANNOYINGLY aggressive too. The only value they have is getting that gun your customer HAS to have that no one else has in stock because Davidsons charges more so no one was bought up their stock yet.

This is why the LC9S has been discounted from the distributors for the last month+ and why there has been a glut of them forsale on gunbroker and in free states. Lower dealer cost results in more available as every dealer thinks they can make more profit per gun.

And why would you do business with Davidsons? They charge $15 shipping on every order and outside commodity guns, their prices are higher than the big distributors? They are also ANNOYINGLY aggressive too. The only value they have is getting that gun your customer HAS to have that no one else has in stock because Davidsons charges more so no one was bought up their stock yet.

You can still get them in "Contractor Yellow" which looks like the only thing missing is the Dewalt label [laugh]

How much cheaper is it going to be? It's not like the LC9S was some expensive gun, they were under $300 new.

KYGUNCO is advertising the EC9s for $218.83 right now (24 June 2018), with free shipping.

Meh. I shot an LC9S once. It worked but it sucked. Inaccurate, really snappy and the trigger was too damn light to feel controlable. No If I get a single stack 9 it's gonna be a Glock 43. Although I am tempted to get a contractor yellow one for the lulz and put DeWalt decals over all the Ruger logos.

Meh. I shot an LC9S once. It worked but it sucked. Inaccurate, really snappy and the trigger was too damn light to feel controlable. No If I get a single stack 9 it's gonna be a Glock 43. Although I am tempted to get a contractor yellow one for the lulz and put DeWalt decals over all the Ruger logos.

This is great! The original LC9 sucked because the trigger was too heavy (I actually agree with this, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker) and the improved LC9s sucks because the trigger is too light. LOL I agree that it is a little snappy - and for proof my 9 year old daughter prefers shooting my 1911 to my LC9s, too.

Picked one up at FS last week, $289 with an extra mag thrown in. Took it to the range this weekend and loved it. Trigger is nice and crisp. Didn't find it too light (I guess to each his own). Recoil about what I expected. Only complaint is the slide release is a little finicky.

This is great! The original LC9 sucked because the trigger was too heavy (I actually agree with this, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker) and the improved LC9s sucks because the trigger is too light. LOL I agree that it is a little snappy - and for proof my 9 year old daughter prefers shooting my 1911 to my LC9s, too.
I bet she can conceal the LC9s better than the 1911 though. Lets not forget they are apples and oranges.
But I am very glad that your 9 year old is shooting both 9mm and 45!!! Keep it up!

So, a year later, what's the status? Is the LC9S done or not? How is the new EC9S holding up? What else has changed in the meantime?

Twice in this thread MuzzleDiscipline was quoted, once by Glock-22 and again by Drix, but you don't see his posts in the thread. Was he vaporized?

ruger is doing what it does best. Finding ways to cut production cost and use as much plastic as possible.

My wife is the same way... Pretty much hates the 380 and 9mm mini guns and handles and shoots 1911 230 gn ball the best and with little complaint. If she where to carry she would do old school revolver

I love my LC9S. But I’ve emailed ruger 3 times to convince them to make a double stack version. Bump out the handle a bit. (Everybody puts a grip wrap in it any way.) 3 more Bullets isn’t going to make a big difference. That would be the only thing that could make it better. I even told them to call it the LC9SDS. As in double stack. Maybe if I get a few more of you to email it could happen.

I just customized some grip tape for where the grip is smooth along the upper back and top.

LC9s is my primary carry. I’m afraid I don’t like it much, but I don’t think about carry guns the same way as guns for other purposes. If I’ve successfully adapted to it, just not liking it doesn’t seem to be a good enough reason for a change. When it seems to be wearing out, I’ll decide what to replace it with then.

But there are reasons not to pick it in the first place, which are probably true of the EC9 as well. Empty mags have to be pulled out, they also hang up on insertion if you push at an angle very much at all, and I’ve had to train myself to leave my strong hand thumb away from the gun to prevent activating the safety on recoil (occasionally). The trigger has its charms, but it is a long way out there for people with small hands, and I think people will larger hands might be inaccurate with the gun until they practice with it enough with a straight back pull over such a long distance. Thinking “press not pull” is strange with this trigger, but it helps, at least when you’re anywhere near the break.

Not sure what I’d get. I hate that S&W strikers need APEX in MA. The Sig P365 seemed OK, not real comfortable to shoot, though. Might be able to fix that. If I decide 380 has enough mojo, I might consider the Shield EZ. Only thing I don’t like about my wife’s is the weird last round malfunction that sometimes happens-a stovepipe FTF rather than FTE. I’m hoping that goes away.

Back
Top Bottom