R.I. AG Concealed Carry permit

Has anyone recently submitted a concealed carry permit to the Attorney General in Rhode Island? I know that they have 90 days to make a decision. I was curious how long people have been waiting for a decision. They told me that it was taking about four weeks when I dropped it off but that they have ninety days to make a decision. This is week seven for me.

I was told flat out from a few sources to avoid the AG CC permit. He is not gun friendly at all, and (from what I have read and been told) the AG permit does not waive the 7 day waiting period like the city permit does. No reason at all to go through the AG unless you live in a city that won't issue.

I was told flat out from a few sources to avoid the AG CC permit. He is not gun friendly at all, and (from what I have read and been told) the AG permit does not waive the 7 day waiting period like the city permit does. No reason at all to go through the AG unless you live in a city that won't issue.

I have done the research and have several friends with CC permits. I am very well versed in the law and the differences between Town and AG permits. I have tried to contact the chief in my town several times (they hand out applications). The problem is that the town’s application is basically a copy of the AG’s permit and it says “MAY ISSUE”, RI law says that the chief or licensing official is “SHALL ISSUE”. So the chief in my town is breaking the law. I called the police station four times and left him messages to discuss that he apparently doesn’t know the statute. I never received a return phone call. I also went to the station and was told that he was busy. On top of that the AG charges a $40.00 fee; my chief is charging $100.00 Last, I might be selling my house and moving to a town that is also breaking the law and doesn’t issue. So unless someone wants to pay for an attorney for (I would gladly sue the chief in my town), the AG permit was the way to go.

Last edited:
I have done the research and have several friends with CC permits. I am very well versed in the law and the differences between Town and AG permits. I have tried to contact the chief in my town several times (they hand out applications). The problem is that the town’s application is basically a copy of the AG’s permit and it says “MAY ISSUE”, RI law says that the chief or licensing official is “SHALL ISSUE”. So the chief in my town is breaking the law. I called the police station four times and left him messages to discuss that he apparently doesn’t know the statute. I never received a return phone call. I also went to the station and was told that he was busy. On top of that the AG charges a $40.00 fee; my chief is charging $100.00 Last, I might be selling my house and moving to a town that is also breaking the law and doesn’t issue. So unless someone wants to pay for an attorney for (I would gladly sue the chief in my town), the AG permit was the way to go.

Like I said: "No reason at all to go through the AG unless you live in a city that won't issue." I know of only one person in my circle of friends who went through the AG, and he had to wait something like 87 days for the decision. YMMV.

I'm starting to wonder, what do we have about 10 Rhode Islanders on this forum?
I dunno... I am only one of them, and I don't have an AG permit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm starting to wonder, what do we have about 10 Rhode Islanders on this forum?
I dunno... I am only one of them, and I don't have an AG permit.

No reason at all to go through the AG unless you live in a city that won't issue.
Or, if you are non-RI resident, in which case the waiting period waiver is irrelevant.

It is my understanding that an AG permits open carry (with all comments about the wisdom, or lack thereof, of doing so incorporated herein by reference as if enumerated in full) but a town permit does not.

The one to get is the one you can get, whichever that one is.

Or, if you are non-RI resident, in which case the waiting period waiver is irrelevant.

It is my understanding that an AG permits open carry (with all comments about the wisdom, or lack thereof, of doing so incorporated herein by reference as if enumerated in full) but a town permit does not.

I am a Rhode Island resident

Statute allows for town-issued non-resident permits under 11-47-11 but in practice I have never heard of one being issued except through the AG. I know of at least one applicant who may be trying the town route to a non-resident permit, so it will be interesting to see how that comes out. I think it's going to require some persistence since the local police chief will likely refer the applicant to the AG.

Yeah I'm in Cumberland and he only issues through the town counsel. He'll accept the application, review it, and then hand it to the town counsel with a recommendation to either accept or deny the app. So I'm stuck with the AG. I'm planning on submitting it using C&R and NRA Handgun Instructor as my reasons. That and I work directly with homeless people. I'm curious to see if the AG will accept my application. I expect a rejection and an appeal. But we'll see... Haven't heard anything about the time. Last I heard it was the full 90 days.

Yeah I'm in Cumberland and he only issues through the town counsel. He'll accept the application, review it, and then hand it to the town counsel with a recommendation to either accept or deny the app. So I'm stuck with the AG. I'm planning on submitting it using C&R and NRA Handgun Instructor as my reasons. That and I work directly with homeless people. I'm curious to see if the AG will accept my application. I expect a rejection and an appeal. But we'll see... Haven't heard anything about the time. Last I heard it was the full 90 days.

Why can't you go through the Cumberland TC?

Move to Middletown, $40 and about about 2 month turn around from when you walk in and get the application to when you walk out with a permit in hand.

It took me about 6-8 weeks if I remember correctly. This was back during the gov't shutdown though. I am out-of-state and was given a work restriction only because I work for an armored truck company. I've read that they often lift restrictions once your time to re-apply comes. I've only recently turned 22 though, which I think played a role in me getting a work tag, unfortunately. Unrestricted in MA, my home state.

I am RI resident. Towns do issue, some easier than others, some however do not issue- due to multiple reasons. AG office is a last resort.

It took me about 6-8 weeks if I remember correctly. This was back during the gov't shutdown though. I am out-of-state and was given a work restriction only because I work for an armored truck company. I've read that they often lift restrictions once your time to re-apply comes. I've only recently turned 22 though, which I think played a role in me getting a work tag, unfortunately. Unrestricted in MA, my home state.
I assume you know you were already covered for carry under federal law when doing on duty, uniformed, armored card work.

I assume you know you were already covered for carry under federal law when doing on duty, uniformed, armored card work.

Yeah I knew that already. Thanks though. I wanted to get it so that I could carry into RI off duty because I spend so much time there as I live right on the border. So in my case, having a work tagged LTC in RI is redundant. But whatever. Maybe one day they'll lift it. Here's to hoping.

Yeah I knew that already. Thanks though. I wanted to get it so that I could carry into RI off duty because I spend so much time there as I live right on the border. So in my case, having a work tagged LTC in RI is redundant. But whatever. Maybe one day they'll lift it. Here's to hoping.

It all depends if that douchebag Kilmartin gets beat in November.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll be applying in Cranston as soon as BCI in Cranston returns one of my four voicemails. I may just show up during one of the appointment times tomorrow and try and get it done then.

I'll be applying in Cranston as soon as BCI in Cranston returns one of my four voicemails. I may just show up during one of the appointment times tomorrow and try and get it done then.
Good timing, the mayor is running for governor, so it's an opportune time to throw a spotlight on how his administration treats residents. Write a letter to the ProJo if you don't get results!

I have a resident permit from Portsmouth police. I applied and was quickly told that i didn't have a good enough reason to have a permit. I appealed and met with the chief personally and he point black told me he didn't care about 11-47-11 it was his decision and he wasn't gonna give me a permit. I went home and emailed the town administrator, all the town council members, and both my state reps. I sent along a copy of 11-47-11 and said I thought my 2nd amendment rights were being violated and I was going to contact an attorney and the local newspaper and news outlets. I received a phone call the following morning at 9:30 am from the deputy chief stating that upon further review of my application that I was approved for my permit. All it takes is a little persistence and a little knowledge and the willingness to stand up to there BS. The chief has since retired (thank god) and we have a new chief who is a former Boston police officer whom I have heard is issuing permits to residents. I had gotten some good advice from this forum as well as rifol.org whom has some very knowledgeable members who are active in fight for our 2nd amendment rights

I contacted some of the members of the TC and they said they wouldn't issue a permit out of "good conscience" because if something happened and I actually had to defend myself they would "feel responsible." Plus it wouldn't matter because Cumberland requires the psych exam. I have heard he (AG) has been issuing permits with restrictions and in less than 90 days, but thats only recent. I would assume it has something to do with it being an election year.

I contacted some of the members of the TC and they said they wouldn't issue a permit out of "good conscience" because if something happened and I actually had to defend myself they would "feel responsible." Plus it wouldn't matter because Cumberland requires the psych exam. I have heard he (AG) has been issuing permits with restrictions and in less than 90 days, but thats only recent. I would assume it has something to do with it being an election year.

Has anyone fought the added tests that towns like Cumberland and Lincoln require. They are totally illegal and a violation of 11-47-58
§ 11-47-58 Firearms – State preemption. – The control of firearms, ammunition, or their component parts regarding their ownership, possession, transportation, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, purchase delay, licensing, registration, and taxation shall rest solely with the state, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

11.47.11 explicitly states:

Any member of the licensing authority, its agents, servants, and employees shall be immune from suit in any action, civil or criminal, based upon any official act or decision, performed or made in good faith in issuing a license or permit under this chapter.

Fell responsible my ass. And fu@k can get a gun and do a bad thing with it. And bad guys do it all the time. Any assh@le cop that feels responsible for that can get a new job. Fu@king assh@les. They should all be fired immediately and replaced with someone with half a goddamn brain.

So if you couldn't defend yourself because they denied you a permit and ended up dead, they wouldn't "feel responsible"?

Scuba dive did you ever receive your CC from the AG? I submitted my application to Cranston last week but it looks like the Cranston chief just resigned over a parking ticket scandal so I'm sure they'll find some excuse to delay.

Back
Top Bottom