• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quincy officers placed on administrative leave for expired gun permits

instant classic

I thought they had a word for people like this: felons

Several Quincy officers have been placed on paid administrative leave pending renewal of their gun permits, according to an official in the department.

The official, who would only speak on the condition of anonymity, said a random search found that several Quincy officers had not renewed their permits.

A Quincy Police Department spokesman confirmed that officers had been placed on leave but would not elaborate on why or the number of officers involved.

"It was an administrative issue that we are currently dealing with...they have been placed on paid administrative leave pending clearing of an administrative issue," said Captain John Dougan.

City officials did not know about the incident and referred questions to the Police Department.

In Quincy, all officers are mandated to have a gun permit to work.

Recently, an outside arbitrator upheld a decision to fire officer Joseph McGunigle specifically because McGunigle’s gun permit had been revoked and he could not work without one.

The department official said the department was expediting the process to renew the permits, and officers would return to work once their permits were renewed.

The department does not check permits on an annual basis, but does check them periodically.

Quincy Police Department Union President Terry Downing would not comment on the case.

- See more at: Quincy officers placed on administrative leave for expired gun permits - Quincy - Your Town - Boston.com

Good thing they don't work in Everett, huh? They'd have to wait a year for their licenses to be renewed.

If their wait is anything like mine was it'll be at least 2 months. And thats not including waiting for the appointment in the first place!

Wish I could've had mine expedited... [rolleyes]

The department official said the department was expediting the process to renew the permits, and officers would return to work once their permits were renewed.

Wish I could get in on that.

Tim [hmmm]

there should not be a double standard like this--in fact there shouldn't be licensing AT ALL, but these folks (not even officers, FOLKS) should be held just as accountable as you or i. it is part of their job to carry a firearm and if they need to have their LTC to do so, then they need to make sure it gets renewed in time, blah blah blah. if they'd bag us for it, then they should be as compliant with the law as we are made to be lest we get thrown in jail/fined/etc.

I'm confused. Couldn't they just carry on their badge? So why put them on leave?

It sounds like they have a policy requiring them to have LTCs. Maybe its some weird union thing or something.

-Mike

Give the Cops one these and ask them to tell us how that works out....No permit needed I think?

tumblr_inline_mj1rwhe3vR1qz4rgp.jpg

Last edited:
there should not be a double standard like this--in fact there shouldn't be licensing AT ALL, but these folks (not even officers, FOLKS) should be held just as accountable as you or i. it is part of their job to carry a firearm and if they need to have their LTC to do so, then they need to make sure it gets renewed in time, blah blah blah. if they'd bag us for it, then they should be as compliant with the law as we are made to be lest we get thrown in jail/fined/etc.

IMO, the penalty for anyone in a position of authority (where special privileges are granted by virtue of the position) should get an enhanced penalty, for abuse of the position.

At least they get to see things from our side for a change....

WTH do they care,they are sitting home being paid for there incompetence.If i forget to renew my CDL i can assure you my place of employment wont send me home with pay until i get it back.

They will get the job back and the union will get them all back pay for the overtime and details that was available to them during there time off.
Nice vacation.

Last edited:
From the article: Captain John Dougan states that 15 officers and 6 supervisors were placed on paid leave. He further states, that since we have over 200 officers, staffing will not be an issue and that, "We have pleanty (sic) of personnel." How many police departments can afford to place 10% of their force on paid leave and NOT have staffing issues? Most likely, their absence will filled by overtime. How would you like to be a taxpayer in Quincy and read this?

Either hes lying about the overtime or he will cut cops per shift. Either way the policy is retarded. Its a shame large metro PDs used to be flagship trend setters and the source of pioneering and envy in law enforcement. Thanks to lame duck politicans and political correctness made that a distant memory.

Sent using my all knowing google phone

Globe says 10% of the dept. is now on paid leave because of this. Chief says staffing won't be a problem. If I were a Quincy taxpayer I'd be wondering if maybe the PD was overstaffed by at least 10%. Lotta dinero could be saved and all those retriement payouts into the future.

Back
Top Bottom