Quiet the Buffer Spring?

I have not had that problem, but know a few people that use a little heavy grease to help quiet the spring.

I have not had that problem, but know a few people that use a little heavy grease to help quiet the spring.
Yup. There's arguments both ways about whether you should grease it or not, but mine's a lot less annoying now that it's greased.

I dropped a very small amount of heavy duty bearing grease along the entire buffer spring, shot it, then wiped it all but dry with paper towels when I cleaned it. The slight film that's left is all that's been needed to keep it quiet, it's not enough to migrate and gum anything up, and there's really not enough there to pick up crud.

I have a few that are quiet, but my long(ish) distance AR makes a noise that sounds like Andre the Giant playing a garage door opener spring with a crowbar.

It goes something like this:

A peaceful, serene day at the rifle range; just me, some crappy milsurp ammo and my snarfy new NES AR build...

"Okay, let's load that mag.... Cuh-lick cuh-lick cuh-lick (X30), snap! Wuhchunk!

Alrighty then... scope on target...good cheek weld...breathe in...breathe out...

Bang!

BAAAAAAHHH-WANNNNGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ, what the hell was that?"

Gun HAS to be long range, 'cause the target's gonna hear the buffer spring before the bullet gets there. [laugh][hmmm]

I've got one that's quiet as can be.
I've got another that's loud as hell.

How can I quiet it down some?

Better hearing protection perhaps?

a little white lithium grease never hurt

and make sure that the roll pin holding the bumper is fully recessed and not strumming it's way down the spring coils when you shoot it

Back
Top Bottom