Quiet sling attachment

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
I'm playing around with a sling setup on my AR using the Magpul MS3 quick release 1-2 point sling.

Anyway, I've found a way to have a 1 point carry, 2 point carry, 2 point hasty, and even a one point arm wrap setup that provides a very stable shooting platform. The only down side is that my forward attachment is a standard sling swivel and when the sling isn't attached there, it tends to flop around banging against the aluminum handguard. I've looked around for something better.

The best so far is a polymer sling loop with a small o-ring jammed against the sling stud to keep it from swinging free. The plastic is a lot quieter when it strikes the handguard. The problem is that I don't trust the plastic when slung up tight and the clip from the Magpul sling does not fit very nicely onto the sling loop and if not set perfectly it tends to fall off. Not a good thing to have your rifle drop off your shoulder. (^_^)

What I'm looking for is something I can attach to the stud that offers a good anchor for the sling clip, but also has a tight enough attachment to the stud to allow for the o-ring or similar damping method to keep it from swinging free. For example, a thick split ring makes a nice attachment, but it is virtually impossible to keep from rattling.

So, any ideas?

telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

Something like this: Impact Weapons Components

productimage-picture-ocp-sling-mount-n-slot-designed-for-magpul-industries-corp-ms2-ms3-slings-449_jpg_280x280_q85.jpg

Their stuff is nice - worth looking around their site to see if something would work for you.

If you like being QUIET just do what they taught me in Basic Training.

Jump up and down.

Anything that makes noise - quiet it.

Will that mount to a standard sling stud?

No, it won't. My brain wasn't working well when I read your description the first time. If you replaced the standard handguards with MOEs, that part would work.

I can't recall seeing the fsb sling swivel being successfully used with the current crop of two point slings - to me, it appears to be designed for the more traditional slings. I've used it with a two point, but added a loop of 550 cord to the swivel that then ran through the fsb to get the rifle to ride right. Functional, but not effective. Somebody makes a crimped steel cable loop now for the same purpose, but I'm doubtful how well that would work if you were switching between 1 and 2 point regularly. None of my 2 point rifles have front sling swivels, they either weren't installed or I cut them off.

Your suggestion did spark an idea however.

First I need to remove the sling stud.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362448993.087819.jpg

The Magpul attachment is designed for slot mounting, so I needed to drill holes for the two tabs to fit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362449098.504503.jpg

I forgot to grab a photo of the new holes, and the trouble I had getting the bolt started, I'm not taking it out again. So, here is the silent attachment with the sling attached.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362449260.508528.jpg

Success!

Thanks for the idea.

Telepathically uploaded via my iPhone 13.

Back
Top Bottom