• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quick Review - Tipton Ultimate Vise/Stand

beaker

NES Member
I was looking at gun vises and none of them looked all that great, I finally decided on the Tipton Standing Ultra Gun Vise. I was originally going to get the tabletop version, but I don't have enough extra bench space to use it, so I got the stand version, and I am glad I did spend the extra money. You can put it in an open space and walk all around the firearm, which is great. Or take it to the range and work on your gun in the field (but not too far from your vehicle, it is heavy!)

Initial Impressions. It is heavy duty. The steel frame and legs are extremely sturdy. The legs fold easily using the big red detent release handles. The attachments are pretty well designed and easy to use, and like the base, they are also quite sturdy. It is very easy to adjust everything to suit. The clamp pads are non-marring and swivel to adjust to whatever surface they are holding as seen from the pics. It comes with two clamps, two parts/tool trays and an AR15 mag well block.

Folding Legs.jpg

I tried it out with rifles, a 308 and an AR-15, but it also works with hand guns. It holds the rifle completely rock solid, great for mounting optics / accessories and cleaning, or whatever you need to do.

308 in vise 1.jpg

308 in vise 2.jpg

308 in vise 3.jpg

308 in vise 4.jpg

AR in Vise 1.jpg

AR in Vise 2.jpg

AR in Vise 3.jpg

AR in Vise 4.jpg

The location of the clamps is easy to slide back and forth and they lock down with the red oversized clamp handle. You can store the trays and the mag well block underneath if you want them out of the way.

Store Upside Down.jpg

NOTE: The mag well block IS NOT FOR BARREL INSTALLATION!

It was $229 from Amazon, and it seems like a lot, but it works extremely well and is incredibly solid, if you want to have an easy to use vise that holds you firearm in a rock solid manner with no fuss, this is the one. The legs fold and you can store it or lean it against the wall until you need it.

Caveats: The plastic is all glass filled, and is quite stiff and strong. However the flash from molding made the clamp blocks hard to insert and move up and down in the base. I sanded down the flash on the two clamp risers and the problem went away. I also sprayed some plastic safe dry lube on all of the threads on the red clamping handles, which helped a lot with free movement. I would suspect that these will get much easier with use as they wear in a little.

Sand Down Flash .jpg

Final verdict: Highly Recommended if you don't want to screw around with your gun moving around on you while you work on it, worth the money ($100 more for the stand vs. the bench top version).

Last edited:
Looks like a fancy version of the black and decker work mate

That’s what I use! I liked the free one so much I bought another for $10 off the yard sale page here. All in all, probably the best money i’ve ever spent, lol. The Tipton is nice though, and maybe even sturdier with a longer stance? Maybe someday...

Regardless...great review OP...we need more of these kinds of posts here.

Looks like a fancy version of the black and decker work mate
Accept that it can safely hold all your guns while you work on them... :)

You could remove the gun blocks and trays and build a work surface that attaches to the bare rails. It is quite solid.

Last edited:
I like it because I can put it in the driveway, sandbag the legs down and run a length of para-cord to my basement window (also, sandbagged)...

308-in-vise-1-jpg.274826

Lol. headednorth nailed it...

I have the table-top Tipton gun vice and love it. It gets as much use as my guns. Like the stand-alone bench though...

Is that a bottle opener under the Tipton logo...?

folding-legs-jpg.274834

Good to know, I’m shopping for a gun vise and I didn’t know that they made this stand alone version. Bench space is always a premium.

Yes it is a bottle opener. lol. Better late than never for the response.

Lol. headednorth nailed it...

I have the table-top Tipton gun vice and love it. It gets as much use as my guns. Like the stand-alone bench though...

Is that a bottle opener under the Tipton logo...?

folding-legs-jpg.274834

Back
Top Bottom