• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quick Questions...

Hi All - Need some advice from you Rhode Islanders:

I live in Mass and have an LTC A, but my folks live in Richmond RI. My father has expressed his interest in shooting, but his Mass license goes back to the 80's. I'm sure it's dead.

Question 1:
He's in his early 70's, clean record, and from what I read on the stickys it seems he doesn't need to go through any formal licensing like we do here in Mass for a purchase or ownership of a rifle or shotgun. Is that correct?

Question 2:
I'd like to sell him a 10/22 rifle that I purchased last year. How would I go about transacting it?

I'm sure he only wants it for the occasional varmit and target practice at a range. I don't think he's much for handguns and I'm not going to encourage it given how freaked out Mom was about some 223 brass I had on my desk in my own house.

Also, can anyone recommend a good club with a range near/in Richmond? We'd probably go together and if the price is right I'll join as a member.

Appreciate any thoughts and feedback you might have!

Welcome to NES!

...it seems he doesn't need to go through any formal licensing like we do here in Mass for a purchase or ownership of a rifle or shotgun. Is that correct?

Correct.

I'd like to sell him a 10/22 rifle that I purchased last year. How would I go about transacting it?

Federal law prohibits direct interstate transfer of firearms, and dictates a FFL (in any state) must effect the transfer.

As MA law prohibits FFL transfers to non-residents, transport your father and the rifle to a FFL in RI who will effect the transfer (after a seven day waiting period per RIGL 11-47-35.2).

Back
Top Bottom