• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quick questions regarding new LTC..

Hello -

I'm starting to do my homework in preparatioin to obtain my first LTC in a small suburb west of boston. Amazing amount of information available -just not always clear/consistent.

I was hoping other forum members might lend their experience to answer a few questions I had... Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Situation: I would expect to purchase a Beretta or Taurus 92 firearm and use it primarily for target/range shooting but would like to have the option for personal/home defense as well. I am a professional 34 year old with no disqualifying factors in my background.

- What are are my chances of being approved for an unrestricted Class A LTC given I cannot state any reasonable fear of personal harm/injury?

- If denied a Class A LTC, would they require a new application or simply issue a restricted Class A or B LTC at the time of thier initial decision?

- Does a Class B LTC allow me to purchase a high-capacity handgun such as a Beretta 92FS?

- Do I need to obtain a Permit to Purchase as well as a my LTC?

- Would it improve my application to take more than a simple 2-3 hour safety course?

- Should I become a member of a shooting club/range in advance of my application (I hear of people doing this but it seems like that's putting the cart before the horse).

Chances - Depends on where you live and what the whim of the chief is. Some issue ONLY Class A- ALP and some never do.

Any change of licence is a new app. They actually had to pass a law to stop this on lost licenses.

Class B is non-hi-cap.

Permit to purchase is for a pistol in the home or business on an FID. Most departments will not issue these, but make you apply for an LTC as the paperwork and price is virtually the same.

Course requirements depend on your town/city. Some don't care so long as you pass the background checks, others want you to be some kind of expert before you touch a gun.

Some towns/cities like to see club memberships, others could care less.

It does help to know where we are talking about. (^_^) 351 Towns and cities in Massachusetts. 351 different rules.

BTW, the Taurus is OUT. Unless you can find a used one someone is selling, Dealers in MA can not sell them.

Chris -

Thank you for your response. The town is Medfield, MA. I've obtained the Medfield LTC application and contacted their recommended safety course trainers. They suggested a few hours of safety/legal course work + a brief range test was all that was required.

Give how much these application approvals vary from town to town, am I naive to think it might be best to simply contact the Medfield PD Chief to inquire about the level of safety training, memebership he'd like to see as well as his procliviity to issue Class A unrestrited LTC's?

IMO, most places are "all or nothing". Most of the good cities and towns
will grant you an A/ALP provided you meet the state requirements. (eg
current safety cert, no disqualifying convictions, etc) Some have additional
requrements which are not required by the law, but they make you jump through
hoops (eg, letters of reference). It's your choice if you want to jump through
the "extra" hoops or fight them legally. The latter is difficult and often
costly.

If the response you get is that they only issue for hunting and
target, or somesuch, or that they only issue class-B's, I'd suggest retaining
the services of a firearms lawyer, unless you're about to change residency to
someplace else. Some places its next to impossible, other places
will cave when you lawyer up. Whatever you do, explore your
options before applying, rather than "accepting" whatever lump of coal
you may be handed. (And if it isn't an A/ALP / or A / Unrestricted, it's
a lump of coal!)

-Mike

The safety course requirments are set forth in the MGL and CMR. Any local "requirements," including range tests, are in violation of these laws. Chief Glidden has told the chiefs that.

There is no requirement to belong to a club and case law struck Randolph's attempt to impose such a "requirement" down.

Any town "application" is crap. There is ONE legitimate application; the FA 25/26, downloadable from the FRB website.

Had you checked the "sticky" regarding LTC apps, I think you would have had most, if not all, of your questions answered.

Last edited:
Quick questions regardling LTC law

(To restate from my previous post - I am a "novice" just starting to do my homework regarding a LTC- hence what to you most of you must appear to be obvious inquireis)

I was wondering about the legality of the following two situations under the laws of a Class A LTC.

- Would it be considered "stored and kept" to secure a hand gun with a trigger lock, in a locked case in the rear truck of my locked SUV? The SUV trunk is obvisouly readily accessible from the passenger area and not as secure as a car truck given the windows. May I leave a handgun unattended in this scenario?

- If I were to be a shooting range with a family member who is not licensed may that person legally "take a few shots"?

- Are there any restictions that would prevent me from keeping a handgun in a bank safe deposit box temporarily?

1. Legal but try to avoid it if at all possible. If stolen, most likely your Licensing Officer will suspend/revoke your LTC as "unsuitable person". But it does meet and exceed what the law requires.

2. Perfectly legal, as long as you are in direct supervision of said unlicensed party, firearms and ammo.

3. No restrictions at all. When I only had a few guns, I did this when I went away on vacation. DO NOT tell anyone at the bank (or anywhere else) what you are doing. What goes in a safe deposit box is NOT their business, as long as you pay the rent. Banks do NOT insure what is in safe deposit boxes . . . just so you know. [I became aware of this when a bank was broken into over a weekend and they systematically drilled out >100 SDB somewhere. It was a big news story probably some 20 years ago.]

I think you hit the new thread key instead of replying to the one you started Saint, so I'm going to lock this one and you can continue it in the other. [smile]

Mother Mod

n1heu said:
Wouldn't leaving your arms in a bank safe deposit box be transferring to unlicensed persons?

It depends on the level of "security" provided to such
boxes.

If the bank provides you, and only you, with a key(s) then I don't
see what the issue is.

The only other circumstance in which one of those boxes should
ever be opened (by someone other than you) is via some sort of
court order, and if thats the case, you're in deep poop anyways.

I've seen some banks that charge a fee to drill out the lock- so that
seems to tell me that while they posess the "box" that they don't
have immediate access to it.

From a legal sense though, it doesnt SOUND like transfer of
posession to me. But I'm not a lawyer.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom