Quick question, what would you officers like to eat?

Some friends of mine want to do something special for the officers in our town. They want to bring in a meal/snack for each shift. Most likely pizzas for the day and evening shifts and coffee, donuts and bagels for the over night shift since there aren't any all night pizza shops around.

So here are my questions: 1) What would be the best time to bring this stuff in, right before or after shift change and would that it be for the people coming on or getting off?

2) What are you in the mood for, especially the 3rd shifters. Would you want bagels and donuts or a real meal like subs?

I know they could just go down to the station and ask but they want to keep this a surprise so its special and really shows their appreciation.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks

Unfortunately due to the type of society we've become, surprises are not likely to get the result you wish for. When I worked for the PD there is no way that I'd eat anything that some random person brought into the station. Sadly there are people who would like to hurt police so that we become very wary of unanticipated gifts that might contain something harmful.

Long after I left the PD, I did bring food into the PD a few times, but I made sure that I called out a senior officer that I knew well and would trust me so that they didn't say "thanks" and then trash it as soon as I left the PD.

I ran a computer user group for consultants for a number of years up at Microsoft and a couple of meetings ended with 4-7 Bertucci pizzas untouched and a couple jugs of coffee. On my way home I stopped off at the PD asked for the Sgt (who knew me) and then we brought 1/2 the stuff in for them. I did the same with the other 1/2 at the FD.

If they know and trust you, they are much more likely to receive it and eat it as you intended.

So this is a case where I'd talk to them first.

+Rep for the thought.

Thanks for the advice Len. I know some one has been trying to coordinate with one of the dispatchers, still I wouldn't blame them for not trusting this. It's sad people suck so much that officers actually have to worry about this, it never crossed my mind. Maybe I'll ask my wife to talk to her friend, since she is married to one of the Sgt's.

Worst case I guess they can send in a gift card for each shift or maybe order an pay for foor but ask dispatch if someone can pick it up.

It is too bad, but if you recall the news stories about a fast food worker spitting into the food that an officer ordered, etc., it is understandable. Cops are suspicious by nature and the days of "Officer Friendly" walking a beat and knowing the people are long over. I've had the discussion with our new town administrator and recently retired deputy chief . . . cops are never walking anywhere unless at a call, cruisers are all darked-out, there is no positive interaction with the general public in my town. When I worked for the PD it was very different, we used to park the cruiser and walk the square (small as it is), talk with folks walking by (just hi, but it goes a long way). Nobody in the PD now understands my point, but it leads to where we are today . . . each side suspicious of the other side.

It is too bad, but if you recall the news stories about a fast food worker spitting into the food that an officer ordered, etc., it is understandable. Cops are suspicious by nature and the days of "Officer Friendly" walking a beat and knowing the people are long over. I've had the discussion with our new town administrator and recently retired deputy chief . . . cops are never walking anywhere unless at a call, cruisers are all darked-out, there is no positive interaction with the general public in my town. When I worked for the PD it was very different, we used to park the cruiser and walk the square (small as it is), talk with folks walking by (just hi, but it goes a long way). Nobody in the PD now understands my point, but it leads to where we are today . . . each side suspicious of the other side.

Law enforcement is not what it was back in the days I was growing up. For many reasons the trust simply isn't there anymore. LEOs have lost trust in society and society has lost trust in their officers. There's plenty of blame to go around for this on both sides of the fence

If you pay for the pizza and have the shop deliver it, there shouldn't be a problem.

Random dude walking in with food is a no go.

Personally, I wouldn't even eat the food under those circumstances since the pizza shop would know the food was going to a PD. While at work, I don't eat food I didn't watch being prepared.

Thanks for the advice Len. I know some one has been trying to coordinate with one of the dispatchers, still I wouldn't blame them for not trusting this. It's sad people suck so much that officers actually have to worry about this, it never crossed my mind. Maybe I'll ask my wife to talk to her friend, since she is married to one of the Sgt's.

Worst case I guess they can send in a gift card for each shift or maybe order an pay for foor but ask dispatch if someone can pick it up.

Well I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but there is no guarantee that somebody won't pocket the gift card for themselves, and depending on the size of the department whether or not the dispatcher or dispatchers would end up with the food and not tell the cops. Deal with either the shift supervisors or the chief of patrol operations, forget this go thru the wife thing, please listen to people who are or were in the system if you want to do this right. Personally I think you would be better off donating the money to some charity that your local police department is involved in if you want to show your support.

Update, I passed on what you guys have said and now several of the officers wives are involved and will help insure this is done correctly. It's a small town and the handful of officers I have spoken to over the years are great guys. They definitely deserve to know that there are still some in the community that appreciate all that they do. Thank you everyone for your input.

We had an agent poisoned. I can't remember if he died or is still screwed up bad. Yeah, food from strangers isn't something you trust.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...cle_1e0e6fdc-be20-5840-b2fc-a4499f796050.html

I've often thought of doing something nice for our local PD but can't figure out what to do. Also since I live in Chicopee, on the weekends I see tons of military people come in to our local dunkin donuts. I have often thought of buying a large gift certificate (like $200 or something), leaving it with the store and then having the cashier use it to give law enforcement or military folks free coffee and sandwiches. They deserve something for the work they do. I'm just worried about paying for a large gift certificate and then having someone walk out of the store with it.

I've often thought of doing something nice for our local PD but can't figure out what to do. Also since I live in Chicopee, on the weekends I see tons of military people come in to our local dunkin donuts. I have often thought of buying a large gift certificate (like $200 or something), leaving it with the store and then having the cashier use it to give law enforcement or military folks free coffee and sandwiches. They deserve something for the work they do. I'm just worried about paying for a large gift certificate and then having someone walk out of the store with it.

If you really want to do this, get the card and give it to someone at the station. Shift supervisor or a liaison officer.

If you really want to do this, get the card and give it to someone at the station. Shift supervisor or a liaison officer.
Or, save your $200 and drop a note to the chief.
Though the thought is there, and some of us appreciate it, the majority of us dont, and will crack jokes about your $200 gift card.
We get paid very well, any cop who says otherwise is either lazy, or divorced and paying child support.
When I first got on the job, your thankfulness/thoughtfulness etc would have actually meant something. Now? You are dealing with a group who expect this kind of stuff, who think its ok to park a marked cruiser in a fire lane while they pick up their pizza because " yes GPP, my dinner hour IS more important than Joe Cubicles because I could be killed at work" ( this is an actual conversation I had with a guy on my dept not long ago, he is a millenial of course).

Use the $200 to buy yourself or someone who will appreciate it something; its lost on the local PD

Last edited:
Pizzas brought in by delivery guy always welcomed. One of the tow companies we dealt with (we gave them a LOT of business) would treat us to pizzas a couple of times every year. They were well received. Of course, this was years ago and I understand the skepticism given today's social climate.

The point is that if they (police) know you and trust you it will be appreciated. But if they don't know you, they are suspicious by nature (especially in today's climate) and are unlikely to eat the stuff, probably tossing it as soon as you leave.

If anyone wants to send me a pizza, I'll take it. [smile]
Sorry I'm not a cop, but I do make dreams come true! (Loan Officer [wink])

What about the. Fr cop that was up for a drug test and ironically taco bell but cocaine in his taco lmao

There are some excuses that you just kinda nod and walk away. This would be one of them, I don't want to be there, I don't want to hear it, stick my fingers in my ears and hum.

If you bring it to the firehouse non will be wasted! just saying… and no there are no cops sleeping in our "ready room". And insulted or not if you leave donuts at the police station they will eat all of them. And a liter of cola.

If you bring it to the firehouse non will be wasted! just saying… and no there are no cops sleeping in our "ready room". And insulted or not if you leave donuts at the police station they will eat all of them. And a liter of cola.
You sure about that?

My brother is a fire fighter. A good 10 years ago a very fancy hotel/restaurant brought them a bunch of food on a Holliday...they all ate it....and all got food poisoning....they had to go to calls puking their brains out. Now any time anyone brings food in, they say thank you with a smile and toss it in the trash. I don't blame them, food poisoning is tough to forget. I know he will never eat at that restaurant.

It's awful the police have to watch their every move now. When I was growing up, we had cops walk the beat and always stop and shoot the crap with us. I remember one who would toss a football around with us for a little bit, he is a great guy along with the other officers.

For or fire fighters, I would suggest setting up an account or gift card to a local market or supermarket. They tend to cook their own food. Police I really don't know, but I would assume the same to a local pizza joint or something similar that would deliver them some chow. Or maybe some good coffee in a sealed container....

Back
Top Bottom