Quick question on laser sights.

The CT grips on my 642 are factory sighted for 50-feet. I think at CCW distances and shooting for center mass, that setting is just fine. However, I decided to fine-tune mine down to make dead-center mass hits at 10-feet. This took some tweaking and tria-n-error. A teeny amount of adjustment throws the laser off a long way. I set my target up at 10-feet fired for DC and made adjustments from there 5-shots at a time. It's now nuts on from 0-15 feet and beyond, though I never really train past 10 feet with this particular weapon...Sometimes for kicks, I'll set targets up at 50-feet and can make decent hits...

Hey IB. I set my 642 snubbie at 30'. I'm going to set my Sig 229, .40 at 50' if I ever get to shoot it consistantly. What's gonna be funny is watching me shoot at 25 yards up at the July 18th shoot in Raymond NH.[thinking] I'll have to use the sights. Trouble is that I can't even see the sights. They're just a blurr. That's why I have the lasers. I'll need a trash can to shoot at if I want to get any hits.[laugh]

With the gun laws being everyday more and more stupid, I will no carry a laser at all. The only thing we need now, it is have to use our gun in self-defense and some idiot saying that we knew that 50 feet is not a case of self-defense and get arrested for it. Even if the shooting was at 10 feet, probably the other side will use our 50 feet laser and we will lose the trail.

Ish.

With the gun laws being everyday more and more stupid, I will no carry a laser at all. The only thing we need now, it is have to use our gun in self-defense and some idiot saying that we knew that 50 feet is not a case of self-defense and get arrested for it. Even if the shooting was at 10 feet, probably the other side will use our 50 feet laser and we will lose the trail.

Ish.

[thinking]

Please cite where "using a laser" has ever been a detriment in a self defense case... I don't use them, but I don't see any legal impediment to using a gun with such a laser.

Even this guy, I don't think, says lasers are bad- and he usually says everything is bad. [laugh]

ayoobglue.jpg

Last edited:
[thinking]

Please cite where "using a laser" has ever been a detriment in a self defense case... I don't us them, but I don't see any legal impediment to using a gun with such a laser.

I dind't say it was illegal. I said that I will not carry one. There are too many legal things than become illegal during a trail, so I will not carry a laser on my weapon, the simple the best.

Ish.

Ish.

If you're ever have to use a gun in self defense, having a laser sight will be the least of your problems.

If you're ever have to use a gun in self defense, having a laser sight will be the least of your problems.

Very true, same thinking applies to those who are afraid to use hand loads, or to modify the trigger pull on their carry gun. I guess the important thing is for the individual to be comfortable with their choices.
As to the OP I would think any distance between 10 and 30 feet would suffice for a carry gun. Any thing closer and you are point shooting anyway, anything further, aim slightly high.

Depending on where do you live, depending on how do you used your weapon and why, etc. It is very simple (at least here in FL), if you shoot someone because your life, a family member's life or someone else’s life was in danger, nothing will happen to you at all. Maybe the police even give you a medal :) will not be the 1st time that happened.

One of my neighbors thought that it was very funny to use his pen laser pointer to another neighbor who always was walking his dog at 2am. and make his dog bark. He used to laugh about it everyday. About a month later, a new neighbor move in and he started to go for a run around midnight (which it is very common here in FL). This time, when my neighbor pointed his laser to the new neighbor, this neighbor call the cops on him and with no questions whatsoever was arrested and spend the nigh in jail. That was using a pen laser pointer; now, imagine that the guy used a real gun with a real laser instead, he will still in jail. (Obviously this is not a good example, but it happened and it was a laser involved).

Talking with a friend of mine who is a criminal attorney here in FL about my neighbor and the pen laser pointer, he told me that laws are laws but we need to understand that the last word is the one that the judge says. He told me that he lost a case in which his client was attack for two people with bats, but because he was a Martial Artist he used his knowledge in his favor and sent two guys to the hospital. So, I will not be happy to be in front of a judge like that because I shot a guy who was running to me with a knife, a gun, etc and my weapon had a laser. Thanks but not thanks.

We all agree that some laws are more than stupid, but I believe that we all agree about people getting panic for no reason depending on the situation (it will be not the 1st time neither), so why to use something that can backfire on your face? What is the point of having a laser anyway? We all agree that most gun fights happen within 30 feet, so why do you need a laser for? And anyway a laser is made to work best at night and unless you are a sniper, the laser has no value to you. Not to mention that in real life if you ever have to use your weapon at less than 30’, the last thing you will looking for is the red dot, and yes that is a fact, you can ask to any law enforcement officers or any army people that did use a weapon to defend their selves before and all of them will tell you the exact same thing.

PS. - I like lasers, but it is the same than driving a 5 speeds car, then an automatic and then go back to a 5 speed car again. If you are using a laser on regular basics during training (obviously you will, if not there is no need to buy one), start to pray for the batteries not to die while in a real situation. It is only my opinion and I respect everyone else’s opinions. Do whatever works best for you and not what people tells you.

Ish.

Ish, all I can say is that I disagree completely with you. I think the laser is a great supplemental tool to accurate shooting. I've practiced enough with my laser to be able to get on target and reaquire the target rapidly. With my fuzzy sight picture (bad eyes), the laser supplies that extra added accuracy. If I had to rely on my sights I'd hit something, just not dead center.

Yanici, I respect your opinion 100% as well as I respect everyone else, and if you have bad eyes and the laser help you, hey Good for you!!

I was just giving my personal opinion in this matter and I was not trying at all to convince nobody about the use of lasers.

Some people like lasers others don’t, some people like S&W some others don’t. Thanks God for diversity of opinions, that’s a beautiful thing that humans can do. Once again, do what is best for you, and don’t let people tell you differently.

Ish.

Back
Top Bottom