Quick question on .45 hard cast

bdb

I have been loading .45ACP with 230gr Berry's bullets, plated round nose, for many thousands of rounds now. Sometimes X-Treme 230Gr in a similar plated round nose. I just noticed that that last 2 boxes of Berry's I picked up at Rileys are actually the hard cast lead with the blue ring around them. Been having a hard time finding load data but the consensus online seems to be to use the same load data as I do with the Berry's 230gr plated round nose and start at the minimum and work up. Sounds like the right thing to do but thought I would get some opinions.

My primary load for the last few thousand rounds is 5.0 or 5.2gr ( load both and really don't notice much difference) Winchester 231 (or HP38 since it's the same) with a COAL of 1.25. I'd have to double check the data but I think the min is about 4.6gr or so.

I have been loading .45ACP with 230gr Berry's bullets, plated round nose, for many thousands of rounds now. Sometimes X-Treme 230Gr in a similar plated round nose. I just noticed that that last 2 boxes of Berry's I picked up at Rileys are actually the hard cast lead with the blue ring around them. Been having a hard time finding load data but the consensus online seems to be to use the same load data as I do with the Berry's 230gr plated round nose and start at the minimum and work up. Sounds like the right thing to do but thought I would get some opinions.

My primary load for the last few thousand rounds is 5.0 or 5.2gr ( load both and really don't notice much difference) Winchester 231 (or HP38 since it's the same) with a COAL of 1.25. I'd have to double check the data but I think the min is about 4.6gr or so.

You're good to go.
We're both using the exact same powder, and I switch back and forth between plated and cast.
Load em and run em

I use the same powder charge of 4.6 bullseye for cast and plated 200 grain swc. Have had no issues. You should notice alot more smoke from cast bullets.......nothing to worry about it's because of the lube burning.

I use the same powder charge of 4.6 bullseye for cast and plated 200 grain swc. Have had no issues. You should notice alot more smoke from cast bullets.......nothing to worry about it's because of the lube burning.
that blue lube is hard stuff, from no lube to some lube definately more smoke.
Curious to see if the OP gets leading with the hard alloy and hard lube.

that blue lube is hard stuff, from no lube to some lube definately more smoke.
Curious to see if the OP gets leading with the hard alloy and hard lube.
I've fired about 1000 rounds of cast bullets with blue lube from my 1911 and found no leading to speak of. But my velocity is moderate with 4.6 grains bullseye and a 200 grain swc.

Only reason I stopped using the cast was I found a vendor for swaged 200 grain swc that is much cheaper and the swaged is way more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom