Quick question about non-resident concealed carry in Maine

Morning,

I plan on applying for a non-resident concealed carry permit within the great state of Maine. In the 90's, I plead nolo to a misdemeanor weed possession in NH. At the time this was a class A misdemeanor with under a 1 year jail penalty. I served no time, paid a fine and had the charge annulled a year later. The Maine application doesn't appear to have any place to explain convictions in the past and the questions don't appear to apply to my kind of issue. Question (l) and (d) are what I am concerned about. I have my LTC (unrestricted) in MA and was able to explain the conviction/arrest. I want to truthfully answer the questions. Any advice is appreciated. Yes, I will be consulting with an attorney.

Why do you even want a non-resident permit? Maine is a constitutional carry state so you don't need any permit or license to carry up there.
So, a non-resident, I can carry without a permit? What if I am carrying (without a permit) and have to interact with the police?

So, a non-resident, I can carry without a permit? What if I am carrying (without a permit) and have to interact with the police?

You must notify them that you are carrying, if you do not have a license to carry there. So, if you get stopped for speeding, you must notify them that you are carrying. If you had a license to carry there, you would not need to notify.

constitutional carry is great, but you have to watch out for the fine print.

In NH you can "constitutional carry" as long as you meet the requirements for a P&R license

I would bet other states have similar requirements.

Since you have a MA LTC A, and you have been able to purchase firearms, I am assuming you are not a felon or prohibited person, and wouls be allowed to carry in Maine, subject to the limitations (some mentioned above) in the link below

Notice to Applicants

Effective October 15, 2015, Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (LD 652), “An Act To Authorize the Carrying of Concealed Handguns without a Permit,” allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit. This law also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun. A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

The law does not otherwise change where a person may carry or who may possess a firearm. It will still be illegal to possess a firearm in the following places, with some very limited exceptions:

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:

• Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756) NOTE: Pursuant to 25 M.R.S. 2001-A (2)(F), Maine will recognize a concealed handgun permit issued by another state to its resident if that state recognizes Maine’s resident concealed handgun permits. A resident permit from that state is valid for concealed carry of a handgun within Acadia National Park
  • State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
  • Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
  • Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)
If an individual is carrying a concealed handgun without a permit, he/she has a duty, when coming into contact with any law enforcement officer during a routine stop, detention or arrest, to immediately inform the law enforcement officer that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.

The law pertains only to handguns, not all weapons. It is important to remember that this law does NOT authorize persons who are prohibited from possessing firearms to carry them. If a person is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm, this law does nothing to change that prohibition. A person may be prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition under state law, federal law, or both. Prohibitions include convictions (felony and qualifying misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence); some juvenile adjudications; many protection from abuse orders, dishonorable discharge from the military; immigration status; deferred disposition status; certain mental health adjudications (civil involuntary commitment; finding of not guilty by reason of insanity; finding of not competent to stand trial) and certain probate adjudications. Prohibitions may also be imposed by conditions of bail, probation, and deferred disposition agreements.

Firearms laws are complex. The summary above is necessarily an overview. Persons may wish to contact qualified private counsel and or review the applicable law if they have questions regarding whether they can legally possess firearms or ammunition. This agency is not authorized to give legal advice. This summary cannot be used as a defense to illegal activity involving firearms or ammunition.

You dont *need* one, but I would get one anyways - especially if they decide for some reason to rescind the constitutional carry or append a bunch of regs to it. You don't want to have to deal with the rush of applications and delay that might cause. Its pretty short money for a non-resident and a pretty painless process - even shorter money for a resident.

I got my Maine Non-Res permit for the sole purpose of being able to carry and ride my motorcycle to the top of Cadillac Mt.
Very painless, $60 bucks and all done by mail, I mailed everything in March got the permit mailed back in June.
Also some states do honor a Maine Non-Res so there is some reciprocity available as well.

It is pretty easy, everything is done online, just don't forget to fill out the "authorization to release" information to two psychiatric centers in Maine and include in your application.
I forgot and received a phone call from a nice lady at the Dept. of Public Safety advising me to just follow up with it. I mean do you think you'd ever hear from someone in Massachusetts doing that?

Back
Top Bottom