• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quick poll, hopefully something creative on what you do with empty Mosin Spam Cans..

What do you do with your empty Mosin Spam cans? I was told 1) they make great 22 targets, drill a hole in the side, and tie a rope to hang them, 2) take a Dremel and smooth out the rough edges and use them to store anything you got, 3) use them for cooking while you're out camping, and 4) just throw them away, because you'll be going thru a lot of them.
What do you do with yours?

Why limit yourself to using it as a 22 target. Set it out there and shoot that shit with the Mosin...it seems only fitting. Those rounds have been packed in there forever...let them extract some revenge.

Unless of course it's because you can only "plink" at your range with 22...either way shoot it.

Use it to bathe your cat.
cat-bath.jpeg

#thisisnowacatthread

Why limit yourself to using it as a 22 target. Set it out there and shoot that shit with the Mosin...it seems only fitting. Those rounds have been packed in there forever...let them extract some revenge.

Unless of course it's because you can only "plink" at your range with 22...either way shoot it.

Great idea about using it for Mosin fire, but I want the can to last for more than 2-3 hits.

i store all sorts of stuff in those in my shop.
tools, fasteners, tooling, trash, metal bits for reusal later.
with imagination sky is only the limit

I get rid of them immediately, I'm concerned they're covered with lead paint, and I don't want that in my house.

That statement is not entirely clear to me.... Do you know for sure whether or not the cans are covered with lead based paint?

just so you know, led-based pigments are used mostly in white and near white colors (where base white is used with another pigment to produce very light tint or shade) that's because lead pigment is white. Also some of the led pigment present in yellows and reds.

since cans are dark green, there is very slim chance that there is led in it. Also lead is bad when ingested, so as long as you don't gnaw on those spam cans in the privacy of your own home you should be OK.

Lead paint scare has been made sound a lot scarier that it really is. There is so much lead around us in every day live that you don't know off, that paint on the can is hardly going to make a difference. Children are a lot more affected by led contamination because of the developing nervous system and minute amounts of lead in fact cause harm to central nerves system and in children it will cause developmental issues. These days in developed world humans tests show that levels of lead in our system is 600 times higher than in humans living in pre-industrial age.

majority of exposure however does not come from paints however. It comes from the air we breath and secondary exposure from soil and ground water contamination.

now you can be really scared [wink]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom