Quick one - NR LTC

NO, the NR MA LTC makes it legal for you to possess ammo and possess firearms/carry a handgun (maybe, depending on any restrictions).

NOBODY not a MA Resident can legally purchase ammo or long guns in MA. [Narrow exception for purchasing ammo at a commercial range but you must use all of it up at said range.]

Yes, MA requires a FID or LTC to even POSSESS ammo components (even spent .22RF cases)!

I doubt that any other state is so backwards. Yes, you can buy ammo in most (if not all) other states w/o any special licenses.

A MA resident can buy ammo in NH with a valid MA FID or LTC. NH has to uphold the laws of the home state the purchaser is from. So NH extends its offer to MA residents, but NH residents are afforded the same luxury apparently.

I can almost understand them not letting me buy ammo in MA without a MA LTC, but now that I have it, I still can't? This stinks...

I am not going to go into the whole MA automobile storage laws again, because they have been discussed to death regarding firearms... but hypothetically, if a MA friend bought me ammo in MA, can I leave it in my car without worry provided there isnt a firearm with it? or would I have to use the same storage rules - lock it in the trunk?

A MA resident can buy ammo in NH with a valid MA FID or LTC. NH has to uphold the laws of the home state the purchaser is from. So NH extends its offer to MA residents, but NH residents are not afforded the same luxury apparently. Sometimes, although they are not supposed to, NH stores will sell ammo to anyone who looks old enough. There is a more strict age requirement for handgun ammo than long gun ammo. When I buy 22LR ammo, somtimes I get asked for ID, and most times not. Because the ammo says Long Rifle the sheep who dont know that it can be handgun or rifle dont ask for ID. Those who know it is multiuse, ask for ID.

I can almost understand them not letting me buy ammo in MA without a MA LTC, but now that I have it, I still can't? I dont agree with the law to begin with, but I can understand how they enforce it to non residents. This stinks...

I am not going to go into the whole MA automobile storage laws again, because they have been discussed to death regarding firearms... but hypothetically, if a MA friend bought me ammo in MA, can I leave it in my car without worry provided there isnt a firearm with it? or would I have to use the same storage rules - lock it in the trunk?

A MA resident can buy ammo in NH with a valid MA FID or LTC. NH has to uphold the laws of the home state the purchaser is from. So NH extends its offer to MA residents, but NH residents are not afforded the same luxury apparently. Sometimes, although they are not supposed to, NH stores will sell ammo to anyone who looks old enough. There is a more strict age requirement for handgun ammo than long gun ammo. When I buy 22LR ammo, somtimes I get asked for ID, and most times not. Because the ammo says Long Rifle the sheep who dont know that it can be handgun or rifle dont ask for ID. Those who know it is multiuse, ask for ID.

I can almost understand them not letting me buy ammo in MA without a MA LTC, but now that I have it, I still can't? I dont agree with the law to begin with, but I can understand how they enforce it to non residents. This stinks...

Anybody can buy ammo in NH with cash, check or credit/debit depending on what the store takes. You don't need any kind of license.

I have friends who have been denied when carded to confirm age and they presented a MA drivers license.
That is a voluntary restriction imposed by the store, not something mandated by law.

I know its unrealted but an FYI.....You can buy ammo in CT without any ID/permit...I have seen mass residents buying large cap mags in CT too....If you have a CT Pistol Permit you can buy long guns here too without having to transfer them to a FFL in your state....I know of a Mass resident who bought a stag..which i don't even think was legal in mass..i could be wrong though..

A couple years ago at Kittery Trading Post, I found a HUGE selection of 16ga slugs and without thinking grabbed an armload and went to the cashier. Once I got there, I realized I was out of state, I explained that I had a MA and NH licence and wondered if I'd be allowed to buy the ammo using them and I was told "No you can't honey, I'm sorry but I'll need cash or a credit card". I thought it was the coolest line ever.

I've bought ammo in MA with my NR LTC. Depends on the store, the owner, and their understanding of the laws.

FYI, I read that after June 1st, any NR applicants would have to appear at the CHSB for pics and prints. I sent my renewal app. in on 7/6 and received my LTC this morning. That's 19 days.

Back in '92 an out-of-state students at a western Massachusetts college shot several people on campus. In typical Ma**h*** fashion, the legislature responded by making life more difficult for honest gun owners while doing absolutely nothing to address the real problem. The result is that Massachusetts dealers are not allowed to sell ammunition to non-residents, even when they have a non-resident LTC.

Ken

Sorry, I was wrong. Wayne Lo did indeed do the shooting prior to the law change. That shooting is what drove the law change.

Last edited:
Sorry Ken, I have to correct you on this one . . .

I don't recall the exact year, but it was a NR student at Simons Rock College who had ordered ammo mail-order to be shipped to his on-campus residence. Said ammo was intercepted at the college mail room and subsequently they found evidence that said student had INTENDED to shoot several people on campus (they found a "hit list"). [The student never did actually act out on his plan.]

Result was a bill filed to stop all out-of-state people from buying any guns/ammo in MA. Simons Rock College sent a bus-load of mindless drones to the state house to testify for said bill (I was there when they invaded). The bill became law and that is ". . . the rest of the story"!

Was this after the 1992 shooting incident, where Wayne Lo went nuts with an SKS at Simons Rock?

Gringo,

It looks like I AM THE ONE who is wrong here. I remembered this incorrectly. I thought the shipment was intercepted and Wayne Lo hadn't had the opportunity to carry out the shooting. +6 for you for the correction.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Lo

On the evening of December 13, 1992, an anonymous person had phoned school officials that Wayne Lo wanted to kill the school assistant resident.[1] The school faculty did not notify police. The following morning, Lo received an ammunition order that he had placed two days earlier. He then travelled by taxi to Pittsfield, Massachusetts and purchased an SKS semi-automatic rifle at a sporting goods store. The shooting began at approximately 10:30 a.m. in a library hallway. He killed 18-year-old Galen Gibson and professor Nacunan Saez, and wounded three students and one security guard. After his rifle had jammed, Lo had called 911 and informed police of his recent actions. He surrendered to authorities without further incident.

Mea culpa. Sorry for the mis-information.

Back
Top Bottom