Quick gun transfer/gift question

Hi guys, first and foremost I'm new here and I did some searching and research here but I'm still somewhat unclear and I'd rather look like a noob than break the law and get screwed.

Anyways, my name is Ronnie, and I'm from western Mass and have a LTC Class A with no restrictions.

I'm currently in Texas visiting my step mom, who has a revolver she no longer wants, and is gifting to me. Can I take this back to Mass and register it or do I have to take it to a Texas FFL and have them ship it to a MA FFL? In my research Texas has NO registrations and no licenses or anything like that.

I've already looked into the legality of transporting it on the plane and I'm clear on that part, I just need help figuring out if it's legal for me to take back and then register.

Thanks for the help guys and I look forward to your replies.

Hi and welcome.

Federal Law Prohibits any direct transfers of handguns between residents of 2 different states! It's felony to do so. That law also stipulates that all interstate transfers of handguns Must be made by an FFL in the state of the new owner.

So, the handgun would have to be shipped by your Step-Mom to a MA FFL.

Now comes the problem!

MGL prohibits a MA FFL from transferring any handguns that aren't tested/approved and listed on the EOPS Approved Handgun Roster and meets the MA AG Regs (handguns made prior to 1998 are exempt from this requirement but not the EOPS Roster). Penalties can be severe but only against the MA FFL and not the new owner, so you will have to get specific gun description info and query each dealer in MA you might want to do the transfer BEFORE you have the gun shipped. Some just won't do it, some have liberal interpretations of the law and might do it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the fast and knowledeable reply. I know it's a S&W .38 revolver. I'll have to get the exact model and find out for sure as well as research a reliable FFL here in Austin.

More importantly, you need to find an FFL here to do the transfer to you.

If you have no local favorite gun store that you frequent and that you can call, if you post a town near your residence, suggestions on who will do the transfer will likely be forthcoming. Then call them, and say, "I'm in Tx, and want a S&W model [fill in answer], can you transfer it to me?"

Then give the shipping dealer the Mass dealer's info, and they can iron out the details.

Good luck.

ETA: I did a transfer for a friend's family out of mass, and the best way is to let the dealers handle the details - they know what they need.

Last edited:
More importantly, you need to find an FFL here to do the transfer to you.

If you have no local favorite gun store that you frequent and that you can call, if you post a town near your residence, suggestions on who will do the transfer will likely be forthcoming. Then call them, and say, "I'm in Tx, and want a S&W model [fill in answer], can you transfer it to me?"

Then give the shipping dealer the Mass dealer's info, and they can iron out the details.

Good luck.

ETA: I did a transfer for a friend's family out of mass, and the best way is to let the dealers handle the details - they know what they need.
Thanks for the extra info.

I did some research and it's a S&W 642-2 .38 special and IS on the EOPS roster! I've delt with a local gun shop that transfered my two Savage Arms shotguns (I work there, and employee purchases have to be sent to a local FFL). I tried calling them today but they and every other local shop to me are closed for the holiday, so I'll have to start up early Wednesday and get everything ironed out before my flight back to MA.

I also found a local FFL here in TX, who is willing to ship and just needs my local FFL license info.

Couldn't have been a better day getting a free revolver and also found an AR lower receiver that's being held for me at a local gun shop in MA for when I return. Merry Christmas to me!

Note that there's no legal requirement that the gun be shipped by a Texas FFL. Some dealers will only accept shipments from another FFL, but that's their policy, not law. Depending on what the Texas FFL might charge to ship the firearm it may be cheaper to use UPS or Fedex to ship the gun to the Mass dealer yourself, which is legal.

Ken

Note that there's no legal requirement that the gun be shipped by a Texas FFL. Some dealers will only accept shipments from another FFL, but that's their policy, not law. Depending on what the Texas FFL might charge to ship the firearm it may be cheaper to use UPS or Fedex to ship the gun to the Mass dealer yourself, which is legal.

Ken
Wish I knew that before I paid $25 to have them ship it, and who knows when they'll get it out. Whatever, it's done now. I shipped it from a local Austin FFL for $25 fee and $25 shipping. Hopefully it gets to my MA FFL asap :)

Back
Top Bottom