• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

quick advise needed: C&R purchase- Garand thoughts? (now w pics!)

Hi guys after a long waiting game, I just recieved my C&R yesterday and am looking to make my first purchase. I have always wanted a Garand and just reciently came across an out of state purchase of one for $800 shipped. Its details are this:

Oct 1941 367,xxx serial no. It has an almost unused Post War Marlin barrel. TE 2.5 ME is 1.5. Stock is BRAND NEW I purchased from CMP. It is all matching Walnut. Op-rod is service grade, andall parts are USGI. All parts match and are in ORIGINAL USGI condition. Gas Cyl is service grade she's a real nice rifle.

I am very very tempted by this and just wanted to check with the mil-surp pros here, before going through with the purchase. It would definately be shot as guns are meant to be.
Hows the price seem to you guys?

Thanks,
-Jon

Last edited:
I've seen them at shows for a little cheaper but it seems like a fair price and includes shipping. The new stock and barrel factor is a plus for a shooter but no so much for a collectable.

What arsenal stamp is on the receiver?

CMP is definately an option. The way I look at it is that i would be replacing the stock with fresh walnut and most likely the barrel in the not to distant future so I may as well try to pick up this rifle, which has both of these already done, as well as a very low serial number as an added bonus. Its up to the seller now, I just submitted my offer, so I'm waiting for his response with mixed emotions right now.

Thanks for the input guys

I'll update this thread when I get a response.

-Jon

I was in the same boat last month. sight un seen, I would go with a garand, 595 service grade and 200 in ammo. I have the Service grade, 3 cases ammo shipped 885.00 from CMP. For my first C&R I purchased a CZ82, then a secound. If I sell a few more items I will order some 9x18_1000rnds

CMP is definately an option. The way I look at it is that i would be replacing the stock with fresh walnut and most likely the barrel in the not to distant future so I may as well try to pick up this rifle, which has both of these already done, as well as a very low serial number as an added bonus. Its up to the seller now, I just submitted my offer, so I'm waiting for his response with mixed emotions right now.

Thanks for the input guys

I'll update this thread when I get a response.

-Jon

You may get lucky. My recently purchased H&R CMP Garand came with a brand new stock.

UPDATE:

Woo hoo! My offer was accepted and she'll be shipped out by the end of the week! [smile]

Im pretty convinced that I got a relatively good deal at $750 shipped.

Pics:

garand1.jpg

garand2.jpg

garand3.jpg

garand4.jpg

garand5.jpg

garand6.jpg

garand7.jpg

garand8.jpg

garand9.jpg

garand10.jpg

garand11.jpg

Thanks for all the input! Im pretty excited if you cant tell! The low serial number seems pretty cool to me, but im not sure how i feel about the anchor rear sight on it (its off a different garand).

-Jon

Last edited:
Looks NICE! Put your order in to the CMP for some of the greek .30-06 surplus NOW. You may get it by summer.

I know I have to figure out how to place an order from them now. Im wondering if it would just be faster and easier to get the ammo shipped to another C&R holder who is already on file with them.

I know I have to figure out how to place an order from them now. Im wondering if it would just be faster and easier to get the ammo shipped to another C&R holder who is already on file with them.

It may be a little faster for someone who is on file already, I'm not sure. I know you can submit your order online, but I'm not sure if they put you in the queue with the mail they just opened, or the mail they just received (and haven't opened yet). You'll definitely want to get on file with for future purchases anyways. You don't have to have a C&R for the CMP to ship guns or ammo to you BTW.

Hmmm.

An anchor on the rear sight? Interesting...

I'd never seen that before either, lucky we have Google.

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=52557

In brief, it says that it's a Navy issued Danish rebuild.
The only marks the Danes used were the anchor and three or four digit number (possibly five) on the sight cover (Navy Issue), and stamped serial number of the rifle on the bottom area of the stock above the toe

I'm glad someone did because I was going to. I wouldn't have slept if I didn't find out what it meant.[laugh]

Definitely something you don't see a lot of and should add to some collectability.

As soon as I saw that anchor, I had to look it up. Then I saw Ken's post and was glad I was not the only one.

Ball ammo

Looks NICE! Put your order in to the CMP for some of the greek .30-06 surplus NOW. You may get it by summer.

Will CMP ship to MA? I'm about to put an order in for a Garand and would love to get the ammo at the same time.

CMP orders are at 120days right now, thats after they get to your order, either by email or mail in. I sent mine in jan 7th I know it was recieved jan12th.< was sent ups so I know when it got delivered. 31 days later I got the email confirming my order. now the 100+ day wait. I have staggered ammo orders since then. there is a 25case limit per year on ammo. As money allows I will continue to order ammo every 4 to six weeks. Good thing aout on line is it goes on your CC when they are ready to ship. I am now 45days into my 100+ day wait. CMP store where closed from the 15th march to april. With hope to catch up and speed up deliveries!!!!

Back
Top Bottom