questions with regard to PPSh-41 from a kit

I've been looking for PPSh-41 for a while, but so far no luck. I'm finally considering making one from a kit.
Does anyone has an experience with building semi-auto hi-cap weapon from scratch and can offer insight on legislative challanges associated with building it?

it can accept 32 and 71 round magazines that are obviously whole another can of worms. There are original surplus mags out thtere but will it be legal for me to acquire them?

I live in MA, so...

I appreciate any useful input

Last edited:
are there any kits for it, do you have links? I wander if something like this could be built legally in NH, so you'll have to keep all parts there or at least major parts there. Unless you got machine gun license here in mAss, I just see this as a huge undertaking legally. Also, VT is not that far, I don't remember the laws there, but I believe mg would be ok there, you just need to invest some money in a "vacation home" workshop.

good luck getting the bolt "converted." There have been some recent ATF issues with the way some vendors have been doing them. It's hard to make a semi-auto rifle out of this SMG. Guns that fire from an open bolt require a general overhaul in order to get them semi-auto ATF friendly. You're basically transforming it from one gun into a totally different one, functionally speaking.

The trick is modifying the bolt- it needs to go from a fixed firing pin to a floating one. Then after you modify the bolt, you have to f*** around with how long the firing pin needs to be. And the trigger group needs to be modified. Some do striker fired and some go with a hammer.

You'll need a lathe/mill for the bolt modification. It involves drilling a hole and then milling surfaces down on the bolt itself.

I can't stress enough how difficult this build is. I've been researching it plenty, and discussing it with very reputable builders. Through private conversations, you learn just how tough it is- if you don't follow the steps to a T and get the dimensions right, you end up with a rifle that either doesn't work, or one that still barfs several rounds at the same time.

It's a very difficult build.

Last edited:
good luck getting the bolt "converted." There have been some recent ATF issues with the way some vendors have been doing them. It's hard to make a semi-auto rifle out of this SMG. Guns that fire from an open bolt require a general overhaul in order to get them semi-auto ATF friendly. You're basically transforming it from one gun into a totally different one, functionally speaking.

The trick is modifying the bolt- it needs to go from a fixed firing pin to a floating one. Then after you modify the bolt, you have to f*** around with how long the firing pin needs to be. And the trigger group needs to be modified. Some do striker fired and some go with a hammer.

You'll need a lathe/mill for the bolt modification. It involves drilling a hole and then milling surfaces down on the bolt itself.

I can't stress enough how difficult this build is. I've been researching it plenty, and discussing it with very reputable builders. Through private conversations, you learn just how tough it is- if you don't follow the steps to a T and get the dimensions right, you end up with a rifle that either doesn't work, or one that still barfs several rounds at the same time.

It's a very difficult build.

hmm, now you've got me thinking from different prospective.
suddenly 800-900 sticker for a complete rifle starts to look more and more attractive and like the only possible way, since i don't have fullblown machine shop in my garage.
thanks Flintoid, as allays great insight and very helpful advise

Last edited:
no problem. I have been looking into this build for a while... I've been lusting after a "new" type of build that requires unique work. Since they sell these for a fairly decent price out the door, it's hard to justify building one that could only be a federal nightmare in the end.

I haven't seen a reliable PPSH-41 conversion yet, other than Sherman's over on 1919a4 and he isn't doing them anymore. The ones being sold are expensive and don't work well, and the conversion issues have been covered above. Sat on a very nice PPSH-41 (actually a Hungarian 48) kit for several years until last month when I finally sold it for the reasons above. After I bought my PPS-43 pistol a couple months ago and saw how reliable it was, I'm just SBRing that instead. That conversion works.

Here it is. Made by TNW.
ppsh.jpg

50/50 light primer strikes.
ammo is good though, both of my TT-33s fire it without this issue. must be conversion as flintoid mentioned. seems like striker design would have been more reliable. Need to put stronger spring on the hammer or replace with heavier hammer. Probably will do both. we'll see.

I feel like i needs to re-blued from scratch, cus charcoal park looks awful on it,
so does 16" barrel. Trigger's very heavy and crunchy.
but it's surprisingly accurate at 100yd. long barrel plus good cartridge work magic.

Last edited:

just a note, this is an internals of a TNW's, hammer strike design for PPSh. Thank you Mike!

One can write a book on various designs and companies who made various FCGs and used different methods to make a super simple FA design into a more complicated SA design. Very cool and thought provoking ... if you are into that kind of things!

My funniest finding so far? A square piece of steel with two holes may be considered by ATF as a PPSh trunnion, <- a machine gun, no quotes, I am very serious. [shocked] Be very careful what you have around your workshop. [sad2]Thank Gd, PPSh did not use a spoon, otherwise we would be all candidates for clubfed.

Just saw one today at Collectors/Affordable in NH, price not too bad (maybe around $400?). Unfortunately, as the stock is welded in the folded position it makes it a pistol and not legal to own in MA. If the stock was welded extended then it would be a long gun and good to go. I've been looking at the parts kits too and would like to try a build myself.

Just saw one today at Collectors/Affordable in NH, price not too bad (maybe around $400?). Unfortunately, as the stock is welded in the folded position it makes it a pistol and not legal to own in MA. If the stock was welded extended then it would be a long gun and good to go. I've been looking at the parts kits too and would like to try a build myself.

what you saw was PPS 43:
PPS-43_sub_machine_gun__left_side_view_op_800x437.jpg

not quite PPSh41 or 48, no "semi" selector. I believe that those are MA legal as C&R guns, I've seen 'em, as pistols. If stock is extended, you need 16" barrel (ugly) or SBR it.

what you saw was PPS 43:
PPS-43_sub_machine_gun__left_side_view_op_800x437.jpg

not quite PPSh41 or 48, no "semi" selector. I believe that those are MA legal as C&R guns, I've seen 'em, as pistols. If stock is extended, you need 16" barrel (ugly) or SBR it.

WRONG.

These are considered new production guns and are not C&Rs.

They are also considered assault pistols and post-ban at that, so they are not allowed in MA.

Back
Top Bottom