Questions on steel

MSant

NES Member
I got my first steel target, since joining a club that encourages use of personal steel. I just need to get chains to hang it. What is a good size amd length to use to be practical?

I got my first steel target, since joining a club that encourages use of personal steel. I just need to get chains to hang it. What is a good size amd length to use to be practical?
Depends on the hanging location and the size of the steel.

If your frame is only 3 feet tall, 12 inches of chain ought to be enough.

Another option is a rubber strap kit.

U.S. Ballistics Steel Target 12 Rubber Hanging Strap Set

There is also the Last Stand Target Holder if you are using the Last stand green triangle pieces and rebar. I've switched over to straps and these after shooting a few too many chains off by either myself or usually someone else with me. Though I did have a couple of times with a weird bit of luck where I managed to hit the carriage bolt head and blow the round part clean off leaving only the square part of the bolt head left in the target. Did that with .308win and 30-06, each on separate occasions.

I hang my steel on the wooden 1x2 frames of the target hangers at my club.

Each of my gongs has a piece of chain about 12-18 inches long attached to each hole. I have more pieces of chain about 12-18 inches long and a steel snap link (carabiner like thing).

I attach the snap link to the chain on the gong, one end of the free chain, and then loop the free chain around the target stand and back into the snap link. Easier to show than describe. I can span various widths and adjust how far up or down the plate hangs by changing where I set the snap link.

For smaller gongs like the 1 and 2 inch that only have one hole, I have a 24 inch long piece of chain and I just find the center link, pull it out 90 degrees and bolt it to the steel. Your chain has to be big enough that the two links connected to the link bolted to the gong don't bind against each other.

I am literally using the cheapest chain that I can get the 3/8 bolt and snap link to fit through... less than $2 per foot or so.

All my steel (8 inch, 2x 6 inch, 4 inch, 3 inch, 2 inch, 1 inch) and chain (6x chains and snap links) fit in one tool bag.

There is also the Last Stand Target Holder if you are using the Last stand green triangle pieces and rebar. I've switched over to straps and these after shooting a few too many chains off by either myself or usually someone else with me. Though I did have a couple of times with a weird bit of luck where I managed to hit the carriage bolt head and blow the round part clean off leaving only the square part of the bolt head left in the target. Did that with .308win and 30-06, each on separate occasions.

I did the same thing with .308 Win and 8mm Mauser.

Some chain holds up better than others. I had some old tow truck chains that took hit well, the cheap as shit chain at Job Lot not so much. I use both.
Hardware....I dont think it matters huge amounts but i just use grade 8 bolts and washers. Buy them in bulk online as individually at say ACE hardware they get pricey

This. I have the last stand holders as well as these rubber hangers from shootsteel.com. The chains are a PITA and don't last as long.
Rubber Hanger
They have 12" and 16" lengths too.

All the chains have ratings, so i'd get something stronger. I think the rubber straps above are even better at taking errant shots tho.

I think that most people use chain but it only takes one hit to destroy the chain. A length of old fire hose will make many 18" pieces and can withstand multiple hits.

I wouldn't worry about the chains as much as I would the mounting hardware.

Chains- if you're really that worried about it, grade 80 from a truck and trailer supply shop will do it.

If the mounting bolts look like something out of an old swingset, toss em. I'd say grade 8 would be your best bet (only because I have bins full of it here). Consider the errant flier landing on that dome of a carriage bolt. A harder grade can withstand more of a pounding, and stretch less over time, where the cheap stuff eventually bends or loses threads.

Back
Top Bottom