• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions on dies

SDK

Getting back into reloading after a long absence. I have already purchased a midrange press and some accessories. I will post some pics as I set up my bench.

I have a pretty good idea of what equipment I want to start out with, but carbide die sets are all over the place on price. There are also more choices now.

I will be reloading a “lot” of 9mm, somewhat less .223 and some .270 win to start most likely. With that in mind, looking for thoughts on good die sets that won’t break the bank and won’t start falling apart after a year.

With 9mm for example, the Lee sets are at a good price point compared to Lyman and include the shell holders that Lyman does not. I would spend more if there is a reason to, so was hoping to get advice from those who have die sets that have stood up well over time and many pressings.

Lee is a terrible design IMO. They are cheap and their price shows that. Spend the extra money now.
Look at other brands as well. Listed from my least favorite to favorite.
I like Lee the least.
Hornady is OK, I use them from time to time.
Lyman
RCBS make good products and have great customer service.
Redding
Dillon

Ignore this list if "I need dies now" is an option. Availability may not be the greatest right now with some products, you may have to settle.

I have All the major players in dies.
Im one of those - if the end result is good its good.
Lee gets the job done
Hornady? I have mixed feelings with Hornady i feel like they are not much better than lee?
I only have one dillion set in 9mm , I dont know how old it is but they look nice and work.
Reading dies , I have a fair amount.
They have a good selection of specialty dies but not always in production
Example is their die set for the swiss k31
With all the dies I have I have had some issue with them all at some point and so far each manufacture had stood behind them.

I'm fairly new to reloading and only do 9mm and .44 mag at the moment, but I'm very pleased with the Hornady LNL AP system. No issues yet, and it feels rock soild assuming you set it up correctly.

For me the jury's still out on their combo (seat/crimp) dies. They work, but I'm experimenting with separate dies especially with .44 and bullet jump in revolvers.

Check these guys out. I dont have any, but they look awesome.....

Thank you guys. This is “exactly” the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I’m in no hurry. It may be early 2022 before I need to start pumping out reloads. Trying to use the time to stay away from cheap kits and get quality tools over time.

Check these guys out. I dont have any, but they look awesome.....

Those do look nice! Of course they are sold out of both the sizing and taper crimp dies in 9mm

I have Hornady (very good), Dillon 650 dies (excellent), RCBS (very good) and Reading (excellent). Honestly can't really go wrong with any of these brands. For just value and performance, I would go with RCBS. I I use Lee crimp dies on some stuff and they work fine, but I don't really like the Lee die sets for the other stuff.

rcbs. only way to travel.
and there's nothing wrong with buying used dies. there's always some good deals popping up here in the classifieds.

rcbs. only way to travel.
and there's nothing wrong with buying used dies. there's always some good deals popping up here in the classifieds.
Well over half my dies are used,
How used, most looked like they never left the box.

For pistol, I'm using RCBS carbide dies. They kick ass.

For rifle, be sure to get the full length/small base sizing die. Also, get the carbide decapping pin(s) for your die. I have the decapper that allows you to change out the pin, so when the carbide breaks, it's a quick fix/replacement. IMO, it's better to be able to replace the pin than have to replace the entire thing (if you bend a non-carbide decapping item).

Redding and Dillon fanboy here, but also have two sets of old ‘Pacific Tool’ dies in 30-06 and 6.5 Jap...I keep and use them as my Pacific theatre sets as kind of a nostalgic reminder of why modern reloading came to be.

The old stuff is just as good as the new stuff, but the caliber selection is obviously limited.

For pistol, I'm using RCBS carbide dies. They kick ass.

For rifle, be sure to get the full length/small base sizing die. Also, get the carbide decapping pin(s) for your die. I have the decapper that allows you to change out the pin, so when the carbide breaks, it's a quick fix/replacement. IMO, it's better to be able to replace the pin than have to replace the entire thing (if you bend a non-carbide decapping item).
Thanks for this. I already have a Lyman universal decapping die with assorted size carbide pins on the way. I am a very (maybe overly) meticulous and detail oriented guy when it comes to doing things. I prefer to decap in a separate step before I clean. I like clean primer pockets that I can inspect closely. Also prefer to not deal with decapping during the loading process.

Depending on how things fit on the press I ordered, I may even pick up a used single stage press and set it up as a dedicated decapping station.

Redding and Dillon fanboy here, but also have two sets of old ‘Pacific Tool’ dies in 30-06 and 6.5 Jap...I keep and use them as my Pacific theatre sets as kind of a nostalgic reminder of why modern reloading came to be.

The old stuff is just as good as the new stuff, but the caliber selection is obviously limited.
I like all the history of the old stuff as well and had a good milsurp collection going at one time.

I would kill to get it all back with the prices the stuff is fetching now. Mosin Nagants listed at $600. They used to give you those free with purchase of a bowl of soup 🙄. I had four at one time that I got to cherry pick out at four for $100

I have mostly RCBS and Dillon. I have a few Lee because they make some oddball calibers that are special order from other makers. I'd get carbide in handgun calibers but not in any rifle calibers.

Back
Top Bottom