Questions about the NFA Process

I don't think you are wrong - I think the other poster is not in MA
Yup, but he said "In MA" in his post, which negates the "I'm not a subject of the DPRM" defense in the court of NES posting accuracy.

Yup, but he said "In MA" in his post, which negates the "I'm not a subject of the DPRM" defense in the court of NES posting accuracy.

I am giving him/her negative rep points for getting that Fineas and Ferb song stuck back in my head. Finally got those things out of there after a month's worth of listening to thatCD by the kids. Now it's back. Grrrrrr.

So let's see if I have this right (and I have some questions)

1.) Dealer to Dealer Transfer (why would one dealer send it to the other when no $ has changed hands)?
2.) Pay for the firearm
3.) Fill out form 4
3.) Wait
4.) Pick up

What happens if the CLEO will not sign off on the form, it gets rejected by the ATF, etc...Then I'm out the $2500 for the rifle?

Dealer to dealer transfer is how the SOT in MA is going to get the SBR. All NFA items have a tax stamp and are on the registry no matter where they come from or who they are going to. Only difference is that some transfers (or manufacture) are no cost and others are $5 or $200. Also remember that if you purchase from a private party out-of-state there will most likely be 2 Form 4's to pay for (seller to transfer to their sot ($200), their sot to your sot (no $$?? one-eyed jack can answer this one), and your sot to transfer to you ($200).

Now if the SBR comes directly from SIG then that is your dealer to dealer transfer. SIG has it in stock and you pay your dealer to buy it for you and have it transfered to them on a Form 3. If you have any reason to believe that the form won't go through then make sure you have an agreement with your dealer to get your $$ back. It may be acceptable to you to have the dealer keep some type of deposit just for their time but that's up to you.

If the item is rare or can be moved quickly to either a private party or to another dealer then your SOT may not mind keeping it if your paperwork is rejected.

At least this is how I understand things. I could be wrong but i'm confident that i'm not [smile]

Again as one-eyed jack said paying for the item is step #1 (either pay dealer or private seller).

Last edited:
...Also remember that if you purchase from a private party out-of-state there will most likely be 2 Form 4's to pay for (seller to transfer to their sot ($200), their sot to your sot (no $$?? one-eyed jack can answer this one), and your sot to transfer to you ($200)...

Minor correction, an out of state private party sale will indeed involve 2 transfer taxes, but does not need to involve two dealers (though you can if you want to add extra wait to your aquision). Your instate dealer can simply transfer in the NFA device direct from the out of state private party seller (w/ a $200 form 4 transfer) then your instate dealer transfers it to you (another $200)...

Minor correction, an out of state private party sale will indeed involve 2 transfer taxes, but does not need to involve two dealers (though you can if you want to add extra wait to your aquision). Your instate dealer can simply transfer in the NFA device direct from the out of state private party seller (w/ a $200 form 4 transfer) then your instate dealer transfers it to you (another $200)...

Exactly. But you can be sure that the private party will insist on payment in advance. Sometimes the seller will pick up the first tax as part of the sale depending on how the deal is negotiated. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom