• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions about S&W 15-22

Hello all, I have a few questions regarding the S&W 15-22. I've been going back and forth since Friday about whether or not I should pick one up. So tomorrow morning im either gonna pick it up or just forget about it(for now). I really like the .22 caliber as I'm on a relatively small shooting budget, but I'm worried about some reviews calling it a 'plastic toy gun'(don't now if they are just .22 haters). Also my other reason I haven't gotten one is I have wanted a Walther PPK for some time now. So I guess it would just be nice to hear from some people who either have owned the gun or have shot it and give me your impressions.

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas

Can't speak to the ppk but the mp15-22 is cheap and a lot of fun to shoot. You can accessorize however you like. It is made mostly of plastic but its rugged and very light.

I have owned one for a little over a year now and love it. Its very reliable I have over 1000 rounds through it and haven't cleaned it once. (I know not great gun care but def a great test). I don't see myself being interested in any other .22 rifles. It's just as fun to mod and ad on tacti-cool things as an ar. I would recommend this to anyone, don't ever second guess my purchase.

It is a great gun. It has all of the controls in the same place as any AR15, so perfect for training and muscle memory. The barrel is top quality. The trigger is nice. It has a nice quad rail and flat top upper for mounting everything you want. You can shoot is all day on the cheap. Really, a fun gun. Screw the critics who call it a toy. It is very well made and will last forever.

Buy one, you will not regret it. I have a blast shooting mine...sees more action than any of the other toys.

Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to do it! I really can't see myself regretting it, except when I watch a Bond flick and salivate over the ppk haha.

One of my favorite guns, eats up everything I throw at it and makes for a cheap and fun range gun. It was honestly one of the best investments I've made, I don't think you can go wrong with one.

As others have said, you will not likely ever regret getting one! I have had one for over a year, and there is never a trip to the range that doesn't include my 15-22. I would say it's the most fun gun I own, especially since I can shoot it all day for under $20. Can't say that for anything else I own, at least until I learn to reload my own ammo.[wink]

I just bought one from the classifieds and plan on shooting it tomorrow. So far, it seems like a solid unit.

Yeah, go for the 15_22. I love mine. It's very accurate and fun as hell to shoot.

I've been drooling over the PPK for a long time. I got one a few weeks ago and I had to send it back for some burrs on the rifling and a botched factory crown cut. Hopefully it comes back all fixed. .380 ammo is way more expensive than .22lr, too.

I've had my for a few months now and it's def. what I shoot the most. The only thing I'd recommend is buying a few extra mags ($20). Here in Ma 10 rounds go quick.

I just picked up a 15-22 but have yet to use it. Got an extra 10-round magazine for it, and am looking at red dot options. I'm still trying to figure out which riser to use for a red dot?

I also noticed the manual states specific ammo to use/avoid:

--------------------------------------------

Based on the design and action of the M&P15-22, Smith &
Wesson recommends that you use the following brands and
types of .22LR ammunition for optimal performance in your
M&P15-22 rifle:
• CCI Standard Velocity • Federal American Eagle
• CCI Mini-Mag • Federal GameShock
• Aguila Super Extra Std. Velocity • Winchester Super-X High Velocity
• Aguila Super Extra High Velocity

Through our testing, Smith & Wesson has also found that there
are several brands and types of .22LR ammunition that do not
perform consistently or reliably. Consequently, Smith & Wesson
DOES NOT RECOMMEND that the following brands or types of
.22LR ammunition be used in your M&P15-22 rifle:
• Remington Golden Bullet • Remington Thunderbolt
• Remington Target 22 • Winchester Wildcat
• Any and all sub-sonic brands and types

You will not regret the 15-22. Great rifle to shoot and to train for an AR-15, if you plan to get one the future. It's also a nice rifle to get new shooters started. No recoil since its a 22. It's "killy" looking but even my mom loves shooting mine lol

Sent from my iPwn

I have to agree with all the other posts. I have had one for a couple years now, and it is lots of fun to shoot. It has held up very well, with no problems at all. You can"t go wrong by buying one.

Speaking of mags, get the short 10 round mags instead of the fake 25 rounders. They're much easier to load and work with.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mission Accomplished! Thanks everyone for there insight, it seems although I'll be enjoying this for some time. Yeap looks like the first thing Im gonna do is get the smaller 10rd magazines. Not sure if I like the imitation 25rds.

Last edited:
Very nice! (Next time, try to resize the image first so it doesn't take as long as to load. It is HUGE! [laugh])

I recently purchases a 10 rd magazine myself at a show. I have yet to use it though.

I heard Bloomy loves them. He marvels at their reliability.
bloomberg-getty4.jpg

Caption this!

Can you get a muzzle brake if you pin the stock? The bastardized MA version is kinda sad looking...

I agree. I do plan to put a muzzle device of some sort on it just for aesthetic reasons. I also didn't like the standard stock, so I put on a MOE, and like it much better. I set it up to the exact same length of pull as my real AR so the feel and ergo is the same for training.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of mags, get the short 10 round mags instead of the fake 25 rounders. They're much easier to load and work with.

Agreed! Not only that, but they just feel like they are higher quality too. I see no point in having all that extra plastic hanging down when it's of no use for added capacity. I would suggest getting several, though, because I have 5 now, and they still go very quickly!

Sorry about the large pic, I think I fixed it. Just wanted to show off in IMMENSE detail not only the gun but my hardwood floors. Ya just from holding it and fiddling around a little bit, I've found the '25 rd' magazine kinda annoying. I can see why they would have this as an option, but I think a smaller 10 rd mag would look, feel and function better.

I threw a ton of rounds through my 15-22 today (530 rounds of varying types) and one had one issue where the round failed to feed properly. (I think I didn't get it seated properly in the magazine). After loading all those, I absolutely love the shorty mags as they have the little plastic nob to help load them, the long ones don't.

Back
Top Bottom